SOLVED The product key for the installer. Can you use it?

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a copy of Windows 7 Professional, (https://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/) 64 bit, and he says you need a product key to have it any longer than the trial period. I have a genuine product key and install disc for Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.

So I have two questions....

1: Can you use a used product key from another installer disc you own (for the same version of the OS, but a different bit version)?

2: Is there a way to input the used key from the installer? Or do you have to wait and wait till the OS is finished installing?

...or do you need to buy an unused key?

Oh and one more thing... and this is a stupid question... Is there an OS installer in the OS directory?

I need to get a 64 bit OS, but I'm NOT paying to get a new disc or new key. I'm not paying for anything. Only thing I pay for is the time wasted to install it in the first place. Thank you!
(By the way, you may not understand the way I put this. I'm not a computer genius, I'm only thirteen.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can use the Key in EITHER 64-bit or 32-bit installations - but NOT both a the same time, and not in more than one installation at a time.

you may have to use the call Microsoft to activate but used it several times myself and activated my copy of windows 7 professional successfully with no problems.

hope this helps?
sparky.

Reaction score
You can use the Key in EITHER 64-bit or 32-bit installations - but NOT both a the same time, and not in more than one installation at a time.

you may have to use the call Microsoft to activate but used it several times myself and activated my copy of windows 7 professional successfully with no problems.

hope this helps?
sparky.
Great help. Thanks. I'll try it. But what do you mean by "use the call Microsoft to activate"?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are a limited number of reinstalls in a certain time period. Nobody seems to know exactly how many but after so many installations the product key will not activate via internet it will require that you call Microsoft for the activation code. When you install, just put in your product key when asked for it (it's near the start of the installation). Later when it tries to activate it will give you a phone number if it cannot activate via the internet.

Reaction score
There are a limited number of reinstalls in a certain time period. Nobody seems to know exactly how many but after so many installations the product key will not activate via internet it will require that you call Microsoft for the activation code. When you install, just put in your product key when asked for it (it's near the start of the installation). Later when it tries to activate it will give you a phone number if it cannot activate via the internet.
I happen to know that that key has only been used once. And also, is there an email address it sends? If it doesn't work, I'm not calling anyone, and I don't own a cell phone nor a house phone. All I want is to install an OS on my computer. Life is hard as a gamer living with 32 bit.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nope, no email, just an 800 number. It's not likely it will happen if you only installed once before, but it might, as I said the criteria Microsoft uses is not publicized.

Reaction score
Nope, no email, just an 800 number. It's not likely it will happen if you only installed once before, but it might, as I said the criteria Microsoft uses is not publicized.
I actually did install it yesterday, AND THE PRODUCT KEY DIDN'T WORK, (and it didn't give a number to call, either.) I tried to re install W7P 32, AND IT's DEDICATED PRODUCT KEY DIDN'T WORK. I just rendered my computer useless last night. I had to install Vista, the OS my laptop originally came with, and it sucked. Have any ideas of what I could do? :eek:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I can only guess you wrote down the default product key rather than the actual product key. Had I known you didn't have the proper product key I would have told you some software to install which could tell you what is stored in the registry but unfortunately that is gone if you reinstalled.

Did this computer ship with W7 or did you upgrade? Some computers have the product key on a sticker if it came with W7.

Reaction score
I can only guess you wrote down the default product key rather than the actual product key. Had I known you didn't have the proper product key I would have told you some software to install which could tell you what is stored in the registry but unfortunately that is gone if you reinstalled.

Did this computer ship with W7 or did you upgrade? Some computers have the product key on a sticker if it came with W7.
It is a Dell XPS m1530, which they were shipped with Windows Vista. I got this computer from my uncle, who is a computer expert. He upgraded it to Win 7 Professional.

By the way, WV can't connect to the internet, so my computer is literally useless right now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you can't connect to the internet you probably need a driver. Do you have a wired connection or wireless? You will need to use another computer and download the driver then copy it over on a flash drive.
Dell XPS m1530 support
Put in your Vista version and select Network. I see 5 files, the first three are wireless and depend on the card that is installed. If you are using wireless just download all 3 and try till one works. If you have a wired connection you need the fourth one: Marvell 88E80XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller, v.10.22.6.3, A01. The last is bluetooth and I doubt you need that.

Since your uncle upgraded it I suggest you contact him and see if he has the upgrade disk with the W7 product key. You might still be able to go to W7 64bit.

Reaction score
If you can't connect to the internet you probably need a driver. Do you have a wired connection or wireless? You will need to use another computer and download the driver then copy it over on a flash drive.
Dell XPS m1530 support
Put in your Vista version and select Network. I see 5 files, the first three are wireless and depend on the card that is installed. If you are using wireless just download all 3 and try till one works. If you have a wired connection you need the fourth one: Marvell 88E80XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller, v.10.22.6.3, A01. The last is bluetooth and I doubt you need that.

Since your uncle upgraded it I suggest you contact him and see if he has the upgrade disk with the W7 product key. You might still be able to go to W7 64bit.
Thing is, don't get to talk to him very much. I don't have Facebook yet. And the wireless and wired connection were working BEFORE I tried to install W7P 64 bit. And I figured, if I could RE-install W7, the internet thing would work again. About the questions you asked, I own the install disk, and I have a wired connection.

Reaction score
But I will have to do the Dell XPS support thingy in order to get any further. I will have to download Marvell blah blah blah thing.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any time you install an OS you need appropriate drivers so it isn't likely a hardware problem, you just need the driver so the computer can use it.

As for installing Windows 7, it would probably work for 30 days without the product key but then you need that 25digit code to activate or it will stop working. And if it detects it was already installed you may not even get the 30 days (keeps people from just reinstalling every 30 days). You need to find the key.

Reaction score
Any time you install an OS you need appropriate drivers so it isn't likely a hardware problem, you just need the driver so the computer can use it.

As for installing Windows 7, it would probably work for 30 days without the product key but then you need that 25digit code to activate or it will stop working. And if it detects it was already installed you may not even get the 30 days (keeps people from just reinstalling every 30 days). You need to find the key.
That being said, is there anything else I need to take note of? I'm getting ready to mark this solved.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not that comes to mind. I do hope you are able to locate the W7 product key.

Ask a Question