The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to computers. I have a Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop using Windows 7 OS; SP1, Home Premium 64bit. Chrome is my browser and I have a HP3050; j610 printer. I was chugging along pretty well for a couple years using my wireless printer until I swapped out routers last week. My ISP gave me a D-Link 2750B this time. I think it's just coincidence, but thought I'd run it by you knowledgeable people since I'm going nowhere fast.

I can't connect my printer to my wireless network anymore. It gives the above error code 28. I follow directions for this code, uninstall driver and install new (Both ways, internet download from HP and also tried installation CD). Tried restart after. When I look in 'Programs & Features' I can clearly see the HP software and utility programs listed. I also did a system restore to a week earlier.

Other strange things going on also and I'm starting to suspect the worst, but keeping my fingers crossed one of you may have a solution. The thing I really don't understand is that during the setup process, I appear to be able to print via USB.....now if I really don't have my drivers, this wouldn't be possible, would it?

Many thanks,

Larry

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
The printer is connected to the router directly via USB, correct? And you cannot print to it from your PC? Usually there is a print server function in the router config which needs to be enabled for the printer to be shared over the network.

Ask a Question