SOLVED Need help solving desktop computer glitches, errors and device drivers

Reaction score
Hello all, My rig is not behaving properly lately. I don't know if it is a hardware issue or software or Windows 7 itself or a combo of any. It, more than a few times will lock up/freeze where I have to do a "hard" reboot with the "reset" button. It also may not behave that way but will hang long after I execute a GUI command before the task is done (like I might leave the browser on and its froze for a time before I can do anything with it) also when starting my computer or rebooting Windows makes a sound of three "thuds" while loading and getting to desktop. I don't know what Windows is trying to tell me. I'm using AIDA64 Extreme to share my hardware specs (see report.txt). I also use "Driver Genius 12" and one particular device bothers me (it has to do do with "storage controllers" in device mgr). DG (Driver Genius) usually gets the correct "digitally signed by Windows" drivers when I install or update" Now with my knowledge and experience I think the storage controller device may be the culprit, not having the proper driver. Although windows reports "no conflicts" the driver tab troubles me (see Attachment *snap4.jpg) but I ask the forum for opinions and suggestions because I'm not an "expert" user, just a "between" intermediate and advance user.
If you see my signature specs you see I have 3 SATA 2 HHD and one SSD (My C:\ drive) all linked to the mobo's sata ports I also know low disk free space can cause havoc too, please advise. Thanks Forum!! Forest Lawn.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
3 thuds? I doubt it's Windows trying to tell you anything; more likely it's hardware. Possibly one of your spinning Hard drives going bad.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thud's can't be good! Disconnect all drives except OS drive and reboot. Reconnect one at a time rebooting each time until you recreate the thuds. At the same time you will be checking all your connections.

Reaction score
It seems that a replacement is in order I ran Hard disk Sentinial and it shows drive D with this:
The drive found 32 bad sectors during its self test.
There are 32 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
65535 errors occurred during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

Reaction score
P.S. all the other drives report:
The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.

Ask a Question