The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant

Reaction score
hi, iam trying to install win 7 on my dell aspiron laptop i had formated c drive the installation got completed but at the end iam getting this msg The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated BIOS.
please tell what to do as my laptop is not starting

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You will need to update your BIOS. Go to the Dell website and get the BIOS update for your specific model.

ACPI, however, should have nothing to do with your machine not starting properly; it would affect whether it sleeps/hibernates/or wakes up properly.

I suggest you try using F8 and see if you can boot to safe mode. Or install the W7 DVD and try installing again. But once you are able to get in you should update that BIOS to fix the ACPI issue.

Reaction score
You will need to update your BIOS. Go to the Dell website and get the BIOS update for your specific model.

ACPI, however, should have nothing to do with your machine not starting properly; it would affect whether it sleeps/hibernates/or wakes up properly.

I suggest you try using F8 and see if you can boot to safe mode. Or install the W7 DVD and try installing again. But once you are able to get in you should update that BIOS to fix the ACPI issue.
i tried that too on safe mode but it didnt work, any changes should i make in BIOS OR can i install bios update while installing win 7 or any other thing please let me know thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try reinstalling W7 from the DVD.

Once in then update your BIOS. You are not going into your BIOS settings, you are completely rewriting the BIOS instruction set by running the BIOS update from Dell. If they offer a version that runs in DOS then you can run it from a command prompt but most BIOS update programs run in Windows these days so you will need to run it under a working windows. That means get windows working first.

Reaction score
Try reinstalling W7 from the DVD.

Once in then update your BIOS. You are not going into your BIOS settings, you are completely rewriting the BIOS instruction set by running the BIOS update from Dell. If they offer a version that runs in DOS then you can run it from a command prompt but most BIOS update programs run in Windows these days so you will need to run it under a working windows. That means get windows working first.
well i tried 5 to 6 times installing from dvd but every time same msg

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, then reinstall your old OS. Then update your BIOS there. Then install W7.

Reaction score
Do you have restore disks?
i brought it from a friend , i didnt make it, before i used Acer never had problem with installing win 7 this is first time it happend
just now my friend gave me CD free DOS OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALL CD AND SOURCE CODE,, is this cd usefull

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have never used Free DOS but I know we had someone come here asking for help because then they could not install W7 over it. I know Linux does something to the hard drive and it must be undone before W7 will install so I suspect it may cause a similar problem.

Quite honestly I would think the ACPI message is merely a warning and not the cause of your issues. Can you take a photo of the error and attach it here so I can see it? Is there an OK button or what? What happens AFTER the warning? More detail step by step what you see might help because I just don't believe the ACPI has anything to do with it not booting; more likely you are missing some drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have never used Free DOS but I know we had someone come here asking for help because then they could not install W7 over it. I know Linux does something to the hard drive and it must be undone before W7 will install so I suspect it may cause a similar problem.

Quite honestly I would think the ACPI message is merely a warning and not the cause of your issues. Can you take a photo of the error and attach it here so I can see it? Is there an OK button or what? What happens AFTER the warning? More detail step by step what you see might help because I just don't believe the ACPI has anything to do with it not booting; more likely you are missing some drivers.

here are some pic of process

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, you are actually getting a blue screen. And it may be related to something called the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). You are going to have to upgrade your BIOS.

What is the model number of your Dell Inspiron?

Reaction score
Aspiron n5110 how to do bios upgrade............. thanks

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, download the BIOS HERE. It's possible you won't be able to see plugged in flash drives so I guess try and put it on a flash drive and then if you can't get to it you will need to burn it to a CD.

When you start the install process, get to a command prompt. There you should be able to run this executable to update your BIOS (At the command prompt simply type D:\n5110A11.exe, if it says not found then try E:\n5110A11.exe, try F:\..., up to J:\ is probably far enough, if those don't work then put it on a CD and swap out the W7 DVD for this one and again type D:\n5110A11.exe, etc.)

If you are able to find and install it then reboot and try your install again.

Ask a Question