Taskbar Freezing

Reaction score
Hi,
I have installed Windows 7(x64) RTM.
My system config is as follows
4GB DDR2 RAM,
2.2 Ghz Core2Duo Proccy
Intel mobo, with integrated gfx

Now i've noticed that after updating windows, whenever i open a browser(IE/Opera/Firefox), the taskbar freezes, and only after i close them windows resumes normally.

Now, if i minimize the browser, then the whole system freezes and i hae to press the reset button.

This happens all the time, so i formatted my drive and reinstalled windows 7 again and again the same problem occurs.

Now i donno whether its because of windows updates but the problem persists ONLY when i use a browser.

To make sure its not the gfx driver, i uninstalled it and installed the prev version, but the problem persists.

I also disabled Aero, but the problem still exists.

Is there any solution?Do i have to avoid a particular update?

Regards

Reaction score
You can try this, type "Diagnose your computer's memory problems" in the search. From the options you can test your computer memory.

Reaction score
i've run memtest and there are no problems with the memory... this problem occurs only with browsers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When you did the clean install, did this happen before you installed any 3rd party applications?

Reaction score
@Ian
This happened Way after i installed kaspersky av, outpost firewall, and many other apps... It started to hang once i ran windows update..

[UPDATE]
windows finally started hanging too much, so i again formatted my system, installed everything as before, but i shut down windows updates. Everything is smooth so far...
Will keep you updated...

Anyways on googling i came across this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/3545-browsers-freeze-taskbar.html

very similiar, but i could not run repair as the system was hanging.

Plz note, i'm an advanced user, and this problem occured ONLY after applying a certain update. I donno which one exactly, but i'm not gonna update windows for a while. I'm behind a very secure AV and Firewall :)

Regards

Reaction score
Well, the problem still started to appear again :(
These are the programs installed
Kaspersky Antivirus 2010,
Agnitum Outpost Firewall(x64 Latest version)

So i donno what could be the problem...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be worth uninstalling those 2 applications (one at a time, to see if either cause it). There must be a common link, and one of those applications seems like a possible culprit.

Reaction score
Strange.... i'm not able to isolate the problem, i mean kaspersky and outpost are running, and the taskbar is not frozen, by the way even winamp(v5.56) was running when it froze, but now i haven't started it, will run it now and will try to reproduce the problem and update the post again...

Reaction score
[Update]
The problem is back, i was running winamp with minilyrics, along with opera, KAV and outpost... I think the problem is with aero theme conflicting with either winamp skin or the minilyrics skin... I installed minilyics, and soon the problem started...

Reaction score
Yup, Winamp+minilyrics is the problem...
I removed both the programs, and the taskbar is not freezing...

Ask a Question