SOLVED switch from 64-bit to 32-bit

Reaction score
I have 64-bit home premium installed and working. It is an OEM version with only 64-bit. Is there a way I can change to 32-bit without buying 32-bit new in addition to the 64-bit version I own?

Reaction score
Sorry Jay, but since you bought the OEM version of the 64-bit i believe your stuck with it. The OEM version only comes with what version you bought.

Reaction score
I have 64-bit home premium installed and working. It is an OEM version with only 64-bit. Is there a way I can change to 32-bit without buying 32-bit new in addition to the 64-bit version I own?
My question is why would you want to? You are not required to only purchase 64 bit programs if that what you were thinking. It will run 32bit apps just fine.

-Jazmac

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My question is why would you want to? You are not required to only purchase 64 bit programs if that what you were thinking. It will run 32bit apps just fine.

-Jazmac
Jazmac is correct. The x64 version you have will run 32 bit programs with no problems at all. Windows 7 x64 installs a folder called: Program Files (x86). That is where the 32 bit programs will reside.

If you have 4GB of RAM or more x64 will also be able to utilize the RAM to it's full potential.

The 32 bit programs and hardware are becoming a thing of the past. Intel and AMD no longer make x86 CPUs and the future is in x64 computing.

Reaction score
64-bit will run all 32-bit programs?

Is it true that Win7 64-bit will run anything written for Win7 32-bit? If so, then I agree that I don't want to change from 64-bit to 32-bit.

My experience has been that many programs supposedly won't run on Win7 64-bit, but I've been careful to specify 64-bit. If I can be reasonably confident that anything that will run on Win7 32-bit will also run on Win7 64-bit, then I will stop looking for specific confirmation that a program will run on a 64-bit installation and just install it.

Comments invited. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Jay

Have you found an application that does not want to run?

I have not had any troubles with any of my applications.

There are a few applications that don't want to run but not many.
I'm not a gamer, I have heard more problems with playing games than office applications.

Reaction score
Hi Jay
Have you found an application that does not want to run?
Hi Clifford,

No, I've not tried anything that doesn't specify 64-bit, and I now believe that is my problem, based on the answers I've received here.

Do you agree that anything that will run on Win7 32-bit should also run on Win7 64-bit?

Jay

Reaction score
I've posted a new thread, "Will 32-bit programs run in a 64-bit computer?" that more accurately describes my current question.

Thanks to those who answered this thread, you've convinced me that I shouldn't "downgrade" to 32-bit, at least without more information.

Jay O'Brien
Folsom, CA USA

Ask a Question