Can I switch to 64-bit to use all 4 GB of my RAM?

Reaction score
i have a problem........can anyoone help..........my laptop toshiba tecra have 4GB RAM and has genuine windows 7 professional 32-bit.........as you know 32bit window cannot handle RAM more than 3GB........so if i ll try to install 64-bit.......so the product key came with 32bit will work on 64-bit or not????reply please

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It should work, though our local Microsoft MVP has raised some concerns about whether it is legal. It takes a complete reinstall and it is recommended you download the 64-bit drivers for your laptop before you try.

Also be advised that the ISO version is not the same as the customized version installed by Toshiba. They may include special software, like trials of Microsoft Office or an anti-virus; it may also have included onscreen volume/brightness software and touchpad software. If you cannot download that software from Toshiba or find alternatives, then you may have to do without.

Quite honestly, it is a lot of work just to get 700MB of extra RAM. Unless you are doing CAD-CAM or intensive Games, you probably aren't using the 3.3GB you have now.

Reaction score
performance will drop. your system uses 25% of installed ram. i have 3gb of ram with 2.75 left for my use.
i bought both versions of win7 oem system builders pack, the 64 bit was slower booting up than the 32 bit. my acer was originally 32 bit vista home basic. my processor is a amd athlon 64, it is 64 bit capable, but performance was very bad. the 32 bit run faster. which i have a single core. you may have better luck if you have a dual core or more.

Ask a Question