Suggestion for freeware apps

Reaction score
How about a sticky in the software forum for "Free great software for windows 7". This software list could then be categorized into topics or just alphabetized. Then would could just reference this sticky and topic with a link for each of the apps in the list. This of course would be for all the novice and newbies seeking help for software for their particular problem. This way we could just reference the list and category each time with out having to say the same software titles all the time in our post replies for help the poster is seeking.

Reaction score
OK - Sounds good. - Lets start by listing freeware categories.
  1. Anti-Malware / Anti-Virus
  2. Bootable - Boot CD's / Boot Managers
  3. Drive - Cleaning / De-fragmenting
  4. Media - Codecs / Editors / Viewers
  5. Registry - Cleaning / Optimizing
  6. System Information
Can you think of any other categories?

Final note: All listings must be freeware and reputable. Trailware and shareware should not be listed. This should give a good list that is not extremely huge.

Reaction score
Addition / Correction

1. Anti-Malware / Anti-Virus / Firewalls
  4. Media - Codecs / Editors / Players / Viewers
  6. System Information

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Memory - MemTest'86

MemScope

System Apps - Macrium Reflect Free / Partition Wizard

Reaction score
openoffice is good

I think we can leave the games out for now anyway. :)
Lets stick with utilities and production applications that we can agree on being reputable and works well with Windows 7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Stuff we can agree as being reputable and works well? Remove the AM/AV/Firewall section!!! nobody agrees on those :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the sound of this - although I agree that we'd have to leave Games from the list, as that's would be well beyond the scope ;).

Perhaps it would be worth adding this information to the articles section? Once we've got a list of good suggestions, I can go ahead and add it :)

My suggestions would be:

VLC Player
Avira
Avast
MSE
7-Zip
Open Office

Then, depending on the scope of the article, things like Filezilla, Picasa, FireFox, Chrome and Recuva.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Maybe some info a small graphic and link to the software >

Partition Wizard Home Edition

Partition Wizard Home Edition is a free partition manager software designed by MT Solution Ltd. Our partition manager supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Home users can perform complicated partition operations by using this powerful yet free partition manager to manage their hard disk. Functions include: Resizing partitions, Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition, Partition Recovery.

Partition Wizard Home Edition is designated for home user only.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Reaction score
Driver Update Utilities, Photo Viewers/Editors, System Tweakers and Windows Themes.
OK - Sounds good. - Lets start by listing freeware categories.
  1. Anti-Malware / Anti-Virus
  4. Media - Codecs / Editors / Viewers
  6. System Information
Can you think of any other categories?

Final note: All listings must be freeware and reputable. Trailware and shareware should not be listed. This should give a good list that is not extremely huge.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Windows Themes would be interesting, I seem to come across new ones each week !

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Secunia PSI, I forgot about that - an essential app :)
I find it interesting that the only browser that passes Secunia PSI scans is OPERA!

Well, at least the ones I have installed on my system.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Any movement as to when this may be implemented ? as I think this would be a very useful and used part of Windows 7 Forums :)

Reaction score
I've been busy the last few weeks. Hopefully I will have time to work on it soon.

The idea that I had was to list all the categories. Once we decided on the categories then we could add the freeware apps to each list of categories. If someone would like to help out and start the ball rolling. I think we need a main page listing all the categories that link to a specific thread for each category.

If someone would like to start a thread for each category and start listing freeware apps this would speed things up. Ohh and I do expect there will be several apps that are listed under more than one category.

My idea behind the category such as "Media - Codecs / Editors / Players / Viewers" would be to list all media apps within one thread. Then the thread could be separated by the four sub categories. Once all apps are listed they could then be linked to the authors website.

Ask a Question