SOLVED Sudden spontaneous reboots

Reaction score
After a clean install about 10 days ago, my PC has had 4 spontaneous reboots in the last couple of hours or so! :(
No updates installed since Nov 30, no new software, no new hardware! :confused:

If it reboots again tomorrow, I'm doing another clean install! :banghead:

Reaction score
It might be time to dismantle the computer and re-seat all the connections.

I have had a few reboots and one BSOD a month or so back when I first built this computer. Everything seems to be fine now though.

Reaction score
I could have a look for you if you go to C:\Windows\Minidump

and zip the contents. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip. It's probably driver related.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are many possibles for the problem. The first one which springs to mind, for me, is overheating?? Otherwise faulty Ram. Can you get a ram check.

I have edited out a link to a ram check "How To", as I have discovered it is fully supported in Ian's tutorial on this site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have ran the memory checker and it's come up clean.

Thanks for the offer to look at my minidump files. I have included the four that all happened within 2 hours.

All hardware has been recognised correctly and has drivers supplied by MS and is all functioning as expected.

Funnily enough, there have been no reboots since!

Next, I'll pop open the case and reseat everything!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hey.

Stop error 0x124.

"BugCheck 124, {0, 866b772c, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : hardware"

You definitely have some kind of hardware issue but unfortunately, minidumps don't include the type of information needed to tell what it is.

To troubleshoot:

Make sure nothing is overclocked in any way. Update the bios to the latest available from motherboard manufacturer.

Check that the RAM modules are set correctly for Vdimm (voltage) and timings, in the bios. Use the spd tab in CPU-Z to find out the exact model number. Then visit the RAM maker's site for info.

Remove all unnecessary stuff, like USB keys etc...

Or unfortunately, it could actually be a literal example of some hardware needing repair/replacement.

Since these drivers are old, I'd suggest updating them to the latest available:

ZetBus ZetBus.sys Wed Aug 08 22:57:17 2007 <<< Netgear
ZetMPD ZetMPD.sys Wed Aug 08 22:57:12 2007 <<<Netgear
sfsz sfsz.sys Tue Aug 14 22:26:45 2007

Ensure adequate system cooling and that heatsink(s) attached correctly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TG!

Everything is what you would expect it to be. There is no overclocking and the Zet Bus drivers have been OK since the year dot!

The system (Dell Precision 690) is less than 2 years old and all (Dell) drivers are W7!

I baby-sat this machine for more than an hour without any problem. An hour or so later it starts its silly games again. Is this something to do with the power savings?

A couple of days ago, I had no problems. Now, It's buggering around like buggery!

Last edited:
Reaction score
A little progress!
Viewing the logs in Event Manager shows that accessing LanManServer Service is the culprit. It's 'timing out'!!!
However solving it, is a different kettle of fish.
Stupid thing is, that the reboots always occur in a period of inactivity. If I'm using the PC it doesn't happen. If I walk away then I come back to a blue screen.
So far, I've moved my Outlook data files onto this machine from the network. Waiting now to see if there is any improvement!

Reaction score
Ughhh - I hate these waiting games, just tell me the problem already.

After a few of those I would have felt like throwing the computer. It's a good thing Windows will record a minidump and log files to go by. Otherwise a user would be blind during a non-use period.

Reaction score
Did you update those Netgear drivers I listed? They are known to cause issues.

Reaction score
Did you update those Netgear drivers I listed? They are known to cause issues.
Since these drivers are old, I'd suggest updating them to the latest available:

ZetBus ZetBus.sys Wed Aug 08 22:57:17 2007 <<< Netgear
ZetMPD ZetMPD.sys Wed Aug 08 22:57:12 2007 <<<Netgear
sfsz sfsz.sys Tue Aug 14 22:26:45 2007
These are Zetera drivers supplied to Netgear for the SAN storage device for XP/Vista. There is no newer ones, nor will they ever be. :(
I'd be interested to see who says there are issues with them. I'm a member of the Netgear Forums and have been helping others with the SC101 and Windows 7 for months now. No one has ever reported problems with the drivers!
There are plenty of other problems, but not any, as far as I am aware, with the drivers. It is a right old fudge getting the SC101 to work with Win7, but it can be done.

However, as I already said, all was well for the first 10 days of this install, before everything started going awry. If I leave the PC unattended it will reboot within a couple of hours. Yet I can sit and use the PC for hours without a problem. It is only when it is idle that things go belly up.
Something is stopping and then can't restart again. Event logs point to a service called LanManServer!

However, just to rule it out, I will uninstall the drivers and see what happens. They could still be partly or wholey responsible in some way. I have to rule them out (or in!) to be absolutely sure!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Geoffers

Just wondering have you mapped your drive to a network share ?

Reaction score
Hi Geoffers

Just wondering have you mapped your drive to a network share ?
Not really. The SC101 is seen as a 'local' hard drive by any machine on the network with the appropriate drivers installed! No mapping is required!
Neither of the hard drives on the PC are shared!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Solved!

By gum, it took some getting there but, I do believe, I've solved it!

Because the Event Manager logs showed a problem with LanManServer service timing out I started looking at the Policies.

Went in to Administrative Tools >> Local Security Policy >> Security Settings >> Local Policies >> Security Options >> Microsoft network server: Amount of idle time required before suspending a session.
Set that to 99999 minutes which, effectively sets it to Forever!

Left the PC idle for over 3 hours and it didn't reboot!

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It wont be timing out of the drive thats your problem then.

Ask a Question