Start up Freezing

Reaction score
Hi i know there have been many threads on this but none were specifically my problem:

I got a new pc at christmas time 2009 and for a good few months it had been freezing on startup so id reboot and it would do this again about 5 times then work fine after that.

after that the problem went away and i thought it had just been a registry issue or something as id recently started using ccleaner but today i came back from 2 weeks holiday and the computer wont go out of this loop. ill reboot it and it will freeze again, reboot freeze etc. at the momment im using my pc in safemode with networking and it works perfectly (but i cant play my music ) so i have no idea what it is.

I have ran NOD32, AVG, malware bites, spybot, norton and all of them had nothing in the scans so i assume it isnt a virus.

My pc is definately not overheating as it runs at 50c all the time

im going through the process of updating all my drivers at the momment hopefully this will work but i doubt it

what should i do?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

As far as the anti-virus scans go, which ones were online scans and which one do you have installed?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am not sure which brand of computer you have (sounds like a DELL or HP to me).

I would highly recommend that you do a complete re-format of your hard drive and reinstall Windows 7. In addition, get the latest drivers for your computer and have them stored on a thumb drive or CD-RW disc to load after you do a clean or "custom" install.

Did you get an install disc for Windows 7 when you bought the computer?

You Genuine Product Key label is probably on the back or side of the unit with the Key Code to enter after install.

If you need an install DVD for you computer go to the link below to download the ISO image file of the version you need. Then burn it to a blank DVD disc with ImgBurn, which is free, and use the "Verify" feature after burning to ensure you have a good disc.

Download ImgBurn at: www.imgburn.com

Download ISO Image file here: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

A clean install without all the "crapware" that comes on factory PCs just may be the answer you're looking for.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I am not sure which brand of computer you have (sounds like a DELL or HP to me).
Nibs, Is there a known issue with these brands and their crapware and W7 that you know of?
Although I love the idea of a clean re-install, I'm wondering how many people have the stomach for it. In my family maybe 2 or 3 out of 25. I would do it for all of them but the nearest ones are 3 hours away. :)

Reaction score
I had a zoostorm pc but i got a new PSU, case, gfx card n few other things

Motherboard is still the same: foxconn G31mx and my hardrive is same too

I only got a system restore cd with my pc.

My hard drive has bad sectors so could this cause it ?

the virus scans were all installed but at different times so no two virus programs were installed at once.

thanks for the help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If a system file is actually sitting on a bad sector (actively using it) then it could definitely cause an error but, most HDs have some errors and the HD simply has them marked as unusable and avoids them, in which case this would not be causing the error. If the number of bad sectors is constantly increasing then it will quite easily effect the files and cause problems - in that case it is time to buy a new HD.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Nibs, Is there a known issue with these brands and their crapware and W7 that you know of?
Although I love the idea of a clean re-install, I'm wondering how many people have the stomach for it. In my family maybe 2 or 3 out of 25. I would do it for all of them but the nearest ones are 3 hours away. :)
Sorry for the late reply I was at work and other things.

It's a funny thing to note that the program "PC Decrappifier" originally was called: "DELL Decrappifier". So that should say something about the junk DELL puts on their systems.

I don't really think it is an "issue" with some of the other brands, I do know that DELL and HP do put a LOT of crapware on their systems.

Of the two laptops I owned the first thing I did was to wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS and the software that I wanted to use, not what some marketing goon sitting in a corner office in Round Rock, TX or California decides that I need. I also found out that after phone calls to HP and Toshiba, that reinstalling what I wanted on their notebooks would NOT VOID the warranty of the unit. It is when you "crack open" the main case that warranty becomes an issue, but adding or changing out the RAM does not affect the warranty either and same for hard drives.

Of course of lot of this extra software being installed is because the software companies pay the computer makers to put it on the computer, most of it is installed as a "trial basis" but it's still a pain to uninstall most of it, particularly Norton/Symantec products and REAL Player. Supposedly this is to "lower the price" of the end product to the consumer. To quote a famous movie saying: "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!"

I liken installing an operating system for the first time to that "proverbial first girl/guy you ever kissed" analogy. You were scared as all get out, but once it was done and over with, you realized; Hey... that wasn't so bad after all!?". ;)

As long as a person has the install disc and product key, the latest drivers for the correct hardware and to install those drivers in the proper sequence, it's really easy to do. The main things to remember is go slow the first time around, be patient and don't try to rush things.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I will say this, I have been disappointed with Norton's NIS but Norton has a very good removal tool. McAfee several years ago when I saw it preinstalled on a laptop was much much harder to remove.

I would suggest to the poster that anti-virus software is a well known cause of BSODs itself. You might try uninstalling your anti-virus and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Also since you suspect HD problems, after you remove the antivirus I would suggest you run chkdsk /r and maybe defrag (unless it's an SSD drive) before installing MSE

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A clean install is a happy install. I found that out years ago with XP, and Windows 7 is no different, except that the "crapware" is at an all time high. XP never was loaded down like this desktop preinstalled with 7 was.

In fact, the Dell reinstall discs for XP Pro SP2 has no crapware at all, but the ones that we now have to make for ourselves does (in Windows 7).

BTW, what ever happened to notebooks and PC's coming with the discs already made, w/o the junk on them? Although all of my prior ones were pre-owned, I always got the original reinstall disc for every one. I insisted on it with every purchase, and still have all four of them today (three XP Pro, one Win 2K). None of them has any junk at all on them. Why can't they do that today, or is that another way of telling us "it lowers the price for you"?

Reaction score
i ran chkdsk and a couple of other tests and no problems came up

BUT

i ran seatools for windows and it failed long and short DST tests :/

i use NOD32 as my only security protection at the momment but it was freezing before i even installed any antivirus software so i doubt it is that.

I went into msconfig and made it so only windows processes opened on startup and now it seems to work fine most of the time but it still has the odd freeze

ive ordered a samsung spinpoint 500gb hd and im going to install xp or 7 ultimate whichever i can get, then just C+P my files across, will this work?

thanks

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
ive ordered a samsung spinpoint 500gb hd and im going to install xp or 7 ultimate whichever i can get, then just C+P my files across, will this work?
Samsung Spinpoints are excellent drives, good choice!

Doing a "Copy & Paste" with your audio, photos, documents, etc., will work. You just can't do that with programs and software.

Since you already have a product key for Windows 7 when you got the new computer, just install it. I mentioned how to do an install DVD in the previous post. These are Microsoft Windows 7 genuine ISO images so you don't have to worry about them.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Agreed!
A clean reinstall is the way to go with the new drive. You will have to reinstall your programs but it's worth the time and effort.
One other thing, If it were me, I'd disconnect the old drive before installing the OS.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Agreed! One other thing, If it were me, I'd disconnect the old drive before installing the OS.
That's a BIG 10-4 there! Breaker... Breaker! LOL! :)

You're comin' in "Wall to Wall and Treetop Tall!"

Ask a Question