Start up files missing

Reaction score
I have a small Toshiba netbook and installed Windows 7 on it. Somehow the start up file has become corrupted and showing as missing. I cannot find the original installation disk, can this be rectified without?

Grateful for help anyone can give me

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have another computer with which you can burn a DVD then you can create a new W7 DVD.

Get 32-bit English W7 w/ SP1 HERE. If you have Home starter or Home Basic then you will have to download Home Premium and modify the ISO before you burn it; that is a little more complicated but is the only way I know to get starter or home. Instructions to make a multi-version DVD are HERE. (Since it is a netbook I assume it is 32-bit)

Once you have this W7 DVD then boot your Toshiba with it and do a System Repair.

Reaction score
Yes, correct, the netbook has the W7 Home Premium 32-bit OS. I have a laptop with W7 Home Premium 64-bit OS but have no clue how to burn a W7 DVD. Am not very experienced with these matters.

Thanks so much

Reaction score
Ps. On the list you kindly provided, I don't see the W7 32-bit download :-( also, my product key was with the original installation disk. I was hoping that I could find such a thing as a download for the start up files only. The licensed OS is still on there

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
x86 = 32-bit

And to burn a DVD you need Burning software and a blank DVD.
For the Burning software I recommend IMGBurn, a very good free product (links available in our Freeware DB)

Reaction score
I tried that, didn't work. The message I get is: BOOTMGR missing. Press ctrl alt del to restart. I have entered set up and boot manager. Nothing seems to work. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new OS as I can not find the original installation disk with the product key!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You tried what? You burned a W7 DVD with IMGBurn? Did you open the new DVD and make sure it is full of W7 files/folders? If you used something other than IMGBurn then it may not understand the ISO is an image and instead you get a DVD with just one file on it; this would not be correct and will not work.

You must boot your Netbook to the DVD; this means it must be first in the boot order. If you get the Bootmgr is missing message then, assuming the DVD burned correctly, then hard drive is attempting to boot not the new DVD. Even if you purchase a DVD you would still need to have the boot order correct so the DVD is tried first.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your help. I had to create a bootable USB device, loaded the file you suggested and it worked! The whole thing is a mess though. It must have been a serious virus as I did absolutely nothing to cause the following; My C partition is empty (that's where my W7 OS was), an older version of XP was on the D partition, that had been installed by my emloyers therefore I did not have administrator rights. I did with my W7 as I installed it over the top of XP, now I have partly lost those (I am informed that access is denied) it looks like the computer is having problems distinguishing this. Though the OS on booting is W7, it will not allow me to delete anything, execute certain programmes, the keyboard is typing junk most of the time and my touch pad malfunctions so the cursor freezes!

It will not allow a system restore and I have used the system repair tools, a dialogue box states that corrupted files have been recognized and attempts at a repair are carried out. On booting again nothing has changed! I fear there is only one thing for it; to strip the device back to factory settings and purchase a new OS after all but knowing my luck, after I do I will find the original installation disk. Would I be foolish thinkng there is there hope yet?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It depends on the device, did this computer come with W7 already on it when you bought it new? If so the W7 product key may be built-in and pre-activated. If not then if the W7 key is on a sticker on the bottom of the machine then that will work too, Otherwise, if you can't find your product key then I'm afraid you are correct, you will have to buy a new one.

When you install W7 over XP it is a custom install, not really an upgrade, so only programs installed by W7 will work (calculator, notepad, etc). All your XP programs must be reinstalled fresh.

And yes W7 has additional security so you don't have ownership of any old files/folders, those are assigned to the system "administrator", you are just AN "administrator" but not THE administrator. If you need access to data, etc, as an administrator you can "take ownership" of it, but the system is designed so normally you only have access to data stored under your specific user libraries. Example for me all my libraries are under C:\users\TrainableMan and in those I do have ownership.

Reaction score
No, the system was originally sold with a linux OS. I purchased a disk to install W7 what I suppose I ought to have had done was to have the XP OS removed prior to installation. Whatever virus it was certainly did a darned good job! Thanks for your help anyway.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know it was a virus, it's possible your hard drive has a problem. Or it could be something to do with the boot sector & Linux. I know hard drives that had Linux often have issues when you try to install W7. Maybe some Linux stuff is still there that needs resolved: you said one whole partition isn't being seen. I'm afraid Linux is out of my knowledge window; you might read about superblocks, LILO, etc HERE.

Maybe the partition could be recovered and then you could get your Product Key; or the Product key should be in the box with your w7 install disk so you might try a little harder to dig up that missing disk.

Last edited:

Ask a Question