Start Menu Modification

Reaction score
On the left half of my Start Menu I have only the 'All Programs' and 'Search' buttons. I would like to remove all of that 'extra' space by relocating these two items to the right half, resulting in just a single column of items for the Start Menu. Is this possible?

-thnx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sure ... it's called Windows 8 ... for the most part it does away with that annoying Start menu. :p

But seriously, supposedly you can almost do what you want if you replace one of the items on the right, such as favorites or videos to All Programs and then disable the left frame. See HERE. But you will loose the search. The other possibility is to replace the start menu with one of the alternatives such as Classic Shell or Start Menu 7, etc.

Reaction score
... replace one of the items on the right, such as favorites or videos to All Programs and then disable the left frame. See HERE. But you will loose the search. ...
Thnx for the reply TM. Have you done this mod? I was unable to comprehend how the left frame is disabled. Also, I can live w/o the start menu search. However, will this retain windows explorer search box?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, I never tried it and I don't really see anything described that would make the left side go away so I guess you would have to try one of the Start Menu alternatives.

Ask a Question