"Standby" does not shut down anymore

Reaction score
Hello,
My W7 Ultimate used to shut down automatically after nothing had been going but has stoppd doing so and will run all day.

The only thing new I have done other than Updates, is change virus programs from Kaspersky to AVG.
Any ideas.

Reaction score
you should go to ur bios settings & there u will find acpi options then the only thing u have to do is to change the value from s3 to s1
i was also facing this same problem.do this & get rid of this stupid thing.bye friend:cool:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Patty. Have you checked the Power options, to ensure they have not been altered in any way.
If the only change you have made, however, is to change to AVG, then perhaps you should work through AVG's and see if there is an option which is set and keeps the computer awake.
You can easily check this by temporarily disabling AVG.

Reaction score
Thanks guarboys. I did change the bios from 3 to 1 but it does not seem to make any difference. It stayed on all night. Thanks anyway and any more thoughts.:)

Reaction score
Thanks davehc. I have disabled AVG (Free version) and no change. So annoying. Thanks anyway and open to any more suggestions.
Patti:)

Reaction score
Hey davehc, I forgot to ask you what Power options are you referring to:confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Control Panel\Power Options. Make sure it is not set to Never Sleep, Never Hibernate.

Sleep and Hibernate can be a very complex issue and some settings can immediately wake it up as it goes to sleep for instance or if it is set for wake on mouse then bumping the desk can wake it up.

There are several old threads you could also look over including HERE and HERE, though post your questions etc here rather than rehashing the old threads.

Reaction score
Thanks Trainable, I do not find the option of "Never Sleep, Never Hibernate" on the ControlOptions. I did change the display to turn off in 5min and Sleep to 10min. That worked sort of. The computer kept running but the display turned off.

Prior to this annoying problem, the whole computer shut down even with lots of windows open. But, when I pushed the on button on computer everything popped back into place without any waiting.
Thanks for your help:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it would pop back up as soon as you hit the button that would be "sleep" mode. Several things including your network card can prevent sleep, as mentioned in those threads I pointed out.

The first thing to check is control panel\power options ... change plan settings (of the currently select plan which is likely Balanced) ... change advanced power settings. A little box will pop up and under Sleep you will find options for "Sleep after", "Allow hybrid sleep", Hibernate after", "allow wake timers".

Another thing that might help us is to drop into a command prompt (under start menu\accessories) and type "powercfg -a" and post the results here.

Reaction score
Thank you Trainable. I followed above inst. On Power Options put sleep after 15min, Allow hybrid sleep: on, Hibernate after 20min. Allow Wake Times: enable and clicked Apply.

The page Change Plan Settings is greyed out under "Save Settings". So I don't know what happens to my changes.
From the above the ScreenSaver works as usual, nothing else happens.

I read thru the old threads you mentioned and get more nervous as this particular problem seems to have unforesceen consequences. Mentioned often is W7 Updates causing problems.

:confused:I do have Updates from time of trouble. Perhaps I should delete these updates?

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So your system was updated around the same time the trouble appeared? Could you maybe list what was installed?

Also could you drop into a command prompt (under start menu\accessories) and type "powercfg -a" and post the results here.

Reaction score
Thanks Trainable,
I installed AVG 24/04. I do not remember any problem before then however, I may be wrong there on the date.
The Windows Updates are: 27/04 Windows Malicious Software Removeal tool KB890830. 22/04, 20/04, 16/04 Update for Win Defender KB15597. 15/04 Security Update for W7 KB2511455.. Sec Upd for .NET Framework 3.4.1 on W7 SP1 x 86 KB2442710.

There are several UDts for 14/04 including Sec UD fro W7 KB2511455 and Sec UD for .NET Framework 3.4.1 on W7 SP1 x86 KB2446710 both of which Failed.
Shall I list any more?

Sorry but I don't see anything like "drop into a command prompt (under start menu\accessories) and type "powercfg -a" under Accessories. Please explain further.
Patti

Reaction score
Still unsolved.
Sorry, but I do not see the Tool Menu for marking Solved or Unsolved on my IE. :eek:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
click the start orb and in the search line type "command"
"command prompt" should be your first choice, select it
In the box type "powercfg -a" (do not include the quotes)
Copy and paste the result.

Malicious removal tool isn't the problem. You mentioned AVG, that could have changed some things so that's a possibility. Windows Defender might also be capable, though if you have always had it installed and it WAS fine then that's not likely it. And KB2511455 did a boat-load of system file updates so that's possible but still not as likely as AVG.

It is "not solved" by default when you open it so it's fine. To mark it solved use "Thread Tools" ...
MarkThreadSolved.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, OK, here it is:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Patti>powercfg -a
The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernat
e Hybrid Sleep
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
C:\Users\Patti>

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try going into your system BIOS and setting the ACPI to allow S1 & S3 (currently only S3 seems to be allowed) but if you never had that set that way before then it shouldn't really be the issue.

I would try uninstalling AVG, rebooting after, and then see if it sleeps but it's just a guess on my part. FIRST Write down your product key so you can reinstall it.

Reaction score
Thanks Trainable, I have already tried going from S3 to S1 with no joy.
I will try and uninstall AVG. I use the Free program which has no product key.

Reaction score
Tried again the ACPI Suspend Type options. I am only given the choice S3 or S1, not both.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you, you said it used to work so I would set it to whatever it was when it worked and was there any effect after completely removing AVG?

You don't want to run with no AV protection on a normal basis so you try it and if that doesn't help you can reinstall it or try another product like Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ask a Question