Standby button grayed out/disabled

Reaction score
Since I installed Windows 7 Beta and even RC, I haven't been able put my computer into Standby. The button is grayed out and I have only been able to put it into hibernate :(
Any suggestions? Thx in advance :)

Reaction score
Since I installed Windows 7 Beta and even RC, I haven't been able put my computer into Standby. The button is grayed out and I have only been able to put it into hibernate :(
Any suggestions? Thx in advance :)
I personally think Microsoft could have done MUCH better here Sleep / Hibernate / Hybrid Sleep all very complicated .... I have tried for HOURS on all possible settings, including combinations with BIOS settings .... nothing!

In Vista, my home server used to 'wake up' my PC's (2 now with Win7), back them up, make them a cup of tea, tuck them back in, and made them go back to sleep again ... now NOTHING works, and I have been losing sleep :rolleyes: trying to work this .... giving up on these settings until later. Mind you, to be fair, it is a VERY new O/S and very very pleased with it so far ... ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you got the latest graphics card and chipset drivers? It could be that the default ones in use at the moment don't support standby mode.

Also, check in your BIOS to see if you have ACPI suspend mode enabled (should normally be Mode 3 STR).

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Have you got the latest graphics card and chipset drivers? It could be that the default ones in use at the moment don't support standby mode.

Also, check in your BIOS to see if you have ACPI suspend mode enabled (should normally be Mode 3 STR).
What Ian has said. I have noticed that I cannot hibernate/sleep the system until I install current graphics drivers, and sometimes chipset drivers.

Reaction score
As said by Kougar and Ian, the graphics drivers, are almost always at fault to this problem, can you give us your specs, so we can find the graphics driver required

Reaction score
Specs

I have scanned for updated drivers using "DriverScanner" and all my drivers were up to date...
(I have an integrated graphics card with 64MB of VRAM. Apparently even most of the screensavers don't work due to it not being Direct X-compatible.)

Below are my computer specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP d530 SFF(DT903PA)
Total amount of system memory: 2.50 GB RAM
System type: 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores: 1
64-bit capable: No
Storage Total size of hard disk(s) : 37 GB
Disk partition: (C: 19 GB Free (37 GB Total)
Media drive: (D: CD/DVD
Display adapter driver version: 6.1.7100.0
Primary monitor resolution: 1024x768
DirectX version: DirectX 8 or earlier

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know which graphics card you have? I'm sure we can get some better drivers for it. Could you go in to device manager and let us know (or run Belarc Advisor / Everest), as the HP website lists several graphics cards that could come with that PC.

Most look like they are nVidia graphics cards for that PC, but as it's an old one we'll need the exact model to get the right drivers.

Reaction score
to be honest with you the specs you have arnt magnificant foor the os, and surprised you can run it well, and as ian said please check the type of graphics as we will be able to give you the appropriate graphics drivers

Reaction score
Lulz the specs definitely aren't that great but what's suprising is it runs way better than XP. It's made the computer come alive and it has the speed of a recently-purchased Vista computer.
Here's the graphics card details:
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
6/21/2006 6.1.7100.0

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's not the graphics card you have, but the standard driver Windows is using as it can't find the correct ones. Can you try running Belarc Advisor and tell us which graphics card that finds, and then I'll find the correct drivers for you :)

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Reaction score
Unfortunately that's not the graphics card you have, but the standard driver Windows is using as it can't find the correct ones. Can you try running Belarc Advisor and tell us which graphics card that finds, and then I'll find the correct drivers for you :)

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Thanks, Ian.
I thought that it didn't sound right, but this is the result I have received even after using 2 hardware scanners. I have received the same result after using Belarc too: :S
LogMeIn Mirror Driver [Display adapter]
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (15.2"vis, July 1999)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
In that case, it's going to be one of the drivers that Clifford linked to above. Are you able to open up your PC and take a look at the card to see which one it is?

Could you try posting the hardware ID's of the display adapter from Device Manager > Graphics Adapter > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs? I might be able to find which card it is from that.

Reaction score
In that case, it's going to be one of the drivers that Clifford linked to above. Are you able to open up your PC and take a look at the card to see which one it is?

Could you try posting the hardware ID's of the display adapter from Device Manager > Graphics Adapter > Properties > Details > Hardware IDs? I might be able to find which card it is from that.
Ya can also post a screenshot of this tool, that may tell us.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Hey guys,
Here are the hardware IDs:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_12BC103C&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_12BC103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&CC_0300

and attached is the screenshot from GPUZ...
GPU.PNG

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Ah, interesting screenshot! However it does actually tell us the GPU... it's an 865G IGP. Intel's very old integrated graphics. (I'm not kidding, my very first self-built computer used the 865P chipset :D ) Unfortunately I think that also solves the cause of the issue, I can't find the right page but I'm pretty sure this IGP does not support the requirements needed to offer standby mode.

To be absolutely sure you can try installing this:

865G chipset drivers LINK

Install, reboot, then install this:

865G Graphics driver LINK

After another reboot, if Windows 7 doesn't allow you to use Standby then it's a safe bet the integrated graphics doesn't support it.

Reaction score
The unusual thing is that standby worked flawlessly in XP... :S

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
In that case, Windows 7 probably just needs you to install the proper driver. However I don't even see drivers for 865G and Vista, let alone W7, I'm afraid you might be out of luck. You might try Googling to see if anyone hacked together a set of Vista/W7 drivers for your IGP.

If you want to use sleep mode that badly in W7, then installing a cheap, discerete video card and the appropriate drivers might do the trick.

Ask a Question