Monitor wont come out of standby on reboot after update

Reaction score
I recently restarted my computer to install a number of windows 7 updates, up until then it was running fine. On restart my monitor wouldn’t come out of standby and basically wasn’t displaying anything. The computer was running, all the fans etc were spinning and I could hear it booting itself up, just nothing on the monitor. I though it might be my graphics card (Nvidia 8800 GTS) so I took it out and replaced it with another older card, not sure of the model of that card. After doing this it booted up fine, so I assumed that my Nvidia card was broken, but just to double check I put it in an old computer and it worked fine in there, leading me to believe that something on the windows updates I installed from the last week or so has caused a problem with my graphics card. I can’t install the drivers again for the graphics card as it only lets me when the graphics card is fitted inside the computer and obviously I cant get to my windows desktop with it fitted to install the drivers. I’ve read it could be a BIOS issue, is this possible? I’ve tried a system restore and reverted back to before the updates but then when I restart my computer it just installs them again, I’ve disabled the download of updates from my computer but they must still be on the computer even after the system restore and it must just install them when I restart from the restore, is there anyway to delete updates from my computer and not have them install?

I’m running Windows 7 Home 32 bit.

Ask a Question