Speech Recognition in IE8

Reaction score
My main interest is in speech recognition. I notice that speech recognition will now type into the message reply boxes in yahoo groups using Internet explorer 8 but it is quite unstable. To avoid Internet explorer doing all sorts of weird things it is necessary to use the spacebar after each section of dictated text and if this does not work to type in the first word of the next section of dictated text and a degree of stability can be ensured this way. I would like to know if Microsoft is going to stabilize this before release and if the speech recognition will be empowered to write on other browsers such as fire fox. Sincerely Francis

Reaction score
What sort of weird things does the speech recognition software do? I had a look on the net for you and it seems Mozilla need to implement the "Text Service Framework" for it to work in FireFox.

Reaction score
Software instability

The sort of weird things that happen is Internet explorer eight brings up windows software that I have not asked for such as a windows help box and wordpad and then it sometimes goes back to a part of the Internet I a was in previously. Or it may simply delete the message that I was typing in. Thanks very much for your reply and have a Great-Day. Sincerely Francis

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hm, what about using the built-in OS Speech Recognition software? Or are you primarily interesting in giving voice commands to your browser?

You might try Opera, it offers voice-enabled command browsing.

If you are using Windows 7 RC then your version of IE8 is fairly new, however if you are using the original Windows 7 Beta then that uses a very early beta of IE8.

Reaction score
Speech recognition windows 7

hi Cougar

Thanks for your reply. I answer my e-mail on the group sites in yahoo support groups. The inbuilt OS speech recognition will type directly in to the message reply box but only if the space bar is pressed after each piece of dictated text. Dragon naturally speaking will type directly into any web browser and I can see clearly that Microsoft is moving in that direction. There is greater accuracy and so better quality with the Microsoft product. And I do know that Microsoft is continuously working on speech recognition and soon I hope it will be able to type into everything. Thanks for the information about Opera but Microsoft speech recognition will not type into to it. Sincerely Francis

Ask a Question