Speech recognition

Reaction score
I am new to Windows 7 and Speech Recognition. So far, I have not been able to find a Users' Manual or similar (The various instructions and guidelines provided are helpful but quite limited, I find)

Example: How do I open Wordpad, then open an existing wordpad file (likely an .rtf)? I have only succeeded once (with a file called 'Letter to Ned'). Trying to open the same file an hour later by successfully opening Wordpad, then saying 'Open Letter to Ned', SR responded by simply writing 'open letter to ned' on the screen, (i.e. showing it recognised the words) but did not open the file. I am using the Microsoft LifeChat LX 300 headset which by and large worked fine during the SR test tutorial

My ambition is to be able to open Wordpad anytime, then open an ongoing log/diary file dictate my item, then close it, and carry on with what I was doing.

I would really appreciate hearing from SR users who have been at it a bit longer than I
Thanks,
Frederick

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Open any search engine and type
"windows 7" "speech recognition" tutorial

You will find youtube videos etc.

THIS Microsoft page also came up in my results.

I don't use speech recognition myself but, there seems to be a wealth of info out there.

Reaction score
I am not one to recommend speech recognition. I have tried it in the past and find remembering the commands laborious compared to simpoly swinging my mouse to a spot and clicking, or using my keyboard. I also find it very difficult to dictate rather than type as editing is easier for me the old fashioned way.

MTM

Reaction score
I am new to Windows 7 and Speech Recognition. So far, I have not been able to find a Users' Manual or similar (The various instructions and guidelines provided are helpful but quite limited,
For this reason we wrote a short article "Getting Started with Windows Speech Recognition."

We also developed software called the WSRToolkit which adds functionality you expect to find in more mature speech recognition software like Dragon.

Marty Makoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Marty, I removed the link to WSRToolkit because it is paid software (as IAN has done in the past and you know better), but anyone interested could find it easy enough via search. You might also want to update your Getting Started doc as it was obviously created back in Vista and has broken links and even mentions WSRToolkit for $15.99 which is no longer true with v2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm working with the visually impaired in the innovations of this technology and welcome both recipients and innovators of this venture to contact me for the cause of bettering this technology. I'm a dot net as well as Java developer - all welcome ;-)

pi.Boss
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Frederick, you know that I use an LG phone powered by Google technologies and every day I use the voice recognition abilites with over 95% accuracy. We need ti see what engine Google's using!

MTM

Reaction score
You might also want to update your Getting Started doc as it was obviously created back in Vista and has broken links and even mentions WSRToolkit for $15.99 which is no longer true with v2.
Good points. We have updated Getting Started with Windows Speech Recognition and the correct price on the new version 2 WSRToolkit.

Thanks,
Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP

Last edited:
Reaction score
As I stated, my cell phone (Android based) works with near to no hitch. It is an LG phone using Virgin Mobile wireless services and Google Technologies for voice recognition. I simply ask "What is the molecular weight of Chromium Dioxide, or What is the radius of the moon, or who won the '59 World Series or what is Ohio's State flower - bam! I have the answers in less than 5 seconds. There's something there.
First off, after speaking to this phone, the voice recognition is near to 99% accurate ALL OF THE TIME (unless the wind is blowing at 70 + mph). It shows the voice recognized text then sends it to Google's search engine, then returns the top answers. The Voice Recognition technology is there PERIOD. If anyone cares to realize it then aid in the development for additional uses beyond whats already here - I'm here. (e-mail address removed) - Glenn T. Kitchen

MTM

Reaction score
First off, after speaking to this phone, the voice recognition is near to 99% accurate ALL OF THE TIME (unless the wind is blowing at 70 + mph). It shows the voice recognized text then sends it to Google's search engine, then returns the top answers. The Voice Recognition technology is there PERIOD.
The speech recognition in my Droid X2 is also impressive. The first day I needed to use it, I started Navigation (we were in Ft. Lauderdale) and I said, "Ritz Carlton Sarasota." BAM!! it took us there in our rental better than the GPS in my newish BMW.

However, we find any noise to overwhelm speech recognition. We need to turn off the radio and ask people with us to be quiet for a second while we speak to Mr. Droid.

It's really cool is the bottom line.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones
Microsoft MVP

Reaction score
Background Noise - Voice Recognition

I concur regarding the background noise. I bet we could advance the normalization technologies of this noise such that 70 mph winds, baby's crying in the background and radio's blasting classic rock music would bear minimal functionality problems with the VR (voice recognition) - a fun development venture if nothing else ;-)

pi.Boss

Ask a Question