The ghost in the machine: Speech Recognition Ap has a life of its own

Reaction score
(Sorry if this posts twice; I don't think my first post 'took.')

Here is an incident posted by by a Windows 7 user. I'm curious to know whether anyone else has experienced anything this strange . . .

from surfingtheapocalypse.com

KNOCK, KNOCK NEO…

by mercymann, Friday, February 19, 2010, 05:53

OK… this is kind of interesting and weird. I recently upgraded to Windows 7. I discovered the Speech Recognition program in the control panel and started playing around. It worked very well without training and includes a lot of controls. Copy, paste, select, correct, etc…

While I was practicing dictating into WORD, my two sons came stomping up the stairs in the usual “noise” around here. This noise caused the program to misspell a word. I responded with the command: “delete that”. To my surprise and amazement the machine typed: “The ego delete that”. I roared with laughter as I reached for the button to click “off” the Speech Recognition Application. Before I could the machine typed:

“40 over you say to my most of the demons more than in me of all the time of, the move from a what you think is a 3 to 9 edge behind the mask here that the lord of the age to come, stop was a”

More at link: http://www.surfingtheapocalypse.net/forum/index.php?id=235430

Reaction score
That's too funny! Stuff like that could be put on a Pink Floyd album played backwards.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That link led to some weird reading, after half of the first page, that was enough for me.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Perhaps the computer has become sentient; aware of it's existence. Like Mike in the Robert Heinlein novel: THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS

Reaction score
Did you spill coffee on the keyboard like in "electric dreams"?

MTM

Reaction score
OK… this is kind of interesting and weird. I recently upgraded to Windows 7. I discovered the Speech Recognition program in the control panel and started playing around. It worked very well without training and includes a lot of controls. Copy, paste, select, correct, etc…

While I was practicing dictating into WORD, my two sons came stomping up the stairs in the usual “noise” around here. This noise caused the program to misspell a word. I responded with the command: “delete that”. To my surprise and amazement the machine typed: “The ego delete that”. I roared with laughter as I reached for the button to click “off” the Speech Recognition Application. Before I could the machine typed:

“40 over you say to my most of the demons more than in me of all the time of, the move from a what you think is a 3 to 9 edge behind the mask here that the lord of the age to come, stop was a”
Having a high quality noise canceling microphone is critical for speech recognition software to work optimally. READ "Getting Started with Windows Speech Recognition."

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
Microsoft MVP

Ask a Question