SP1 Rumors Again

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen or heard of a SP1 being released soon? I was looking around for Windows 7 news, and saw a picture of a computer's registry entries. There was four to five entries regarding SP1 for Windows 7. There was also a statement regarding the service pack. It said that the updates were already in place to install the pack. Mabye someone else seen this too, I don't know. What I read was an article by Rafael Rivera on The Microsoft Blog. Those registry entries aren't there for nothing.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
This simply mean that Testing of a SP1 is predicted to start soon.

Rivera took the appearance of the eligibility check to mean that SP1 testing is imminent. "The takeaway here is that external [emphasis in original] Windows 7 SP1 testing should commence soon, if it hasn't already," said Rivera.

But even if Rivera's hunch is correct, it could be months before Microsoft launches a public preview of SP1.
Read more here - Microsoft preps Windows 7 for SP1 testing

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Its going to be quite some time before Windows 7 SP1 is released, Windows 7 is still a young OS.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I actually hope it is a while, as I don't see a problem with the way it is now. I just hope that Microsoft has learned a lesson from Vista, and not rush a pack that's not ready. They should ignore those who won't step forward until the first service pack is issued, as that may lead to rushing things. The ones who won't upgrade right now eventually will, as their XP systems won't last forever.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is no denying that, if you want the latest news/rumours, that Rafael Rivera is definitely ahead of the pack. However, in this case either deliberately or though a misunderstanding I think he may have got hold of the wrong info. The link shown is, I believe, from Windows 7 Build 7227 (with SP1). It was, as discussed on the TEchnet forum, only a misrepresented leak of the result of Microsoft testing serviceability for the next upgrade of that Windows 7 beta. Those running the retail release are , in essence, already using that SP.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am not sure about all this. It is way too early for any service packs. Of course this past two months since the Windows 7 release has been rather quiet of news regarding the M$ OS.

Bugs Bunny would say: "What's with all the hubbub, Bub?"

Just being tongue-in-cheek here!

Reaction score
They should ignore those who won't step forward until the first service pack is issued, as that may lead to rushing things. The ones who won't upgrade right now eventually will, as their XP systems won't last forever.
They should be able to get at least another 10 years out of their XP. As an example, on one of my PC's I still use Win98SE with no major problems, and guess can do 99% of what most home users do with their XP, Vista or W7 setup. (not into Video Games etc..)
If I need software for a special task I can write my own with Java or Visual Studio.
For more advanced stuff like Video Editing etc. then XP Pro. only because the older PC doesn't have enough CPU Speed and is low on RAM and HardDisk space.

Reaction score
I am not sure about all this. It is way too early for any service packs. Of course this past two months since the Windows 7 release has been rather quiet of news regarding the M$ OS.
But the forums haven't been - just need to see all the problems people are having getting their W7 new software working correctly. They should have spent much longer getting W7 working "out the box" on 99% of all PC's with the minimum spec requirements so there would be no need to release a Service Pack to correct Errors and Bugs in the Official Release. But that Micro$oft for you.... :rolleyes:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
On examination, the forums do not have as many Windows 7problems as would be assessed at first glance.. They tend to be repetitive and mostly based on installation problems through ignorance of the procedure, use of poor pirated copies and faulty downloads. A major source, which, maybe, can be attributed directly to the OS/Microsoft, does seem to be the subsidised update procedure. I could not comment further on this as I am not in a postition to try it. The vast majority of remianing help requests are to do with customisation.
If you have a peak in one of the older XP forums, such as Techguy, for example, you will find that, even after these years, the requests for help with XP far outnumber those for Windows 7

"They should have spent much longer getting W7 working "out the box" on 99% of all PC's with the minimum spec requirements so there would be no need to release a Service Pack to correct Errors and Bugs in the Official Release."

See my previous post

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
But the forums haven't been - just need to see all the problems people are having getting their W7 new software working correctly. They should have spent much longer getting W7 working "out the box" on 99% of all PC's with the minimum spec requirements so there would be no need to release a Service Pack to correct Errors and Bugs in the Official Release. But that Micro$oft for you.... :rolleyes:
The VAST majority of Windows 7 users have not had these problems. Any new OS regardless will some bugs, etc., on them. That's what the updates are for. As other posters have stated, some of these installs are with "modified" installs DL from torrent sites and such.

When I installed Windows 7 on my new hardware, it wasn't the OS giving me issues as it was my learning how to tweak the BIOS just right and other settings.

A lot of issues are happening because many with install problems have more than one hard drive in their systems. FOR SOME REASON, and why this is baffles me, but Windows 7 is VERY picky when there are more than one hard drive present. I just disconnect the extra drives, install the OS and then hook them back up and it's all good.

The other major reason for a lot of the install issues is because people are doing "upgrade" installs rather than clean installs. In my opinion, this because they don't want to go to the trouble of re-installing all the programs they have, or because they don't want to lose data, photos, documents, etc. That is why I have had external hard drives for over 6 years now, to keep what I want to keep separate from the OS.

Sure, it's time consuming to do a clean install (actually the clean install only takes about 15 minutes) it's the re-installation of the other software that takes time. BUT, the system will run SO MUCH better with a clean install versus an upgrade install.

I look at it this way... it takes over an hour or more to do an upgrade install. A clean install takes about 15 minutes and then about an hour for the Windows Updates (about 10 minutes) and the installation of the remaining software and drivers. So it basically equals out in the end and the clean install is much happier setup. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I agree that there's a lot of people on the forums looking for help. But had those prople bought new, or at least ran the Upgrade Advisor regarding their venture into Windows 7, the large majority of these problems would have been avoided. Sure, I understand that everyone cannot afford a new computer, but at least they can properly prepare for the install. It's a lot more to it than opening the DVD player, inserting the Win 7 install disc, restarting and hurrying to hit the F12 button to boot off the disc. There's a helluva lot more to it than that. Backing up your files, doing a FULL format, having a driver disc for your computer and having a plan of action in place. I've been doing installs and reinstalls for 7 or 8 years, and if done properly, the result will be positive, provided there was a plan in place. And Hardware: No matter how much preparation you do, if your hardware is inadequate, the install will not produce the desired results. I see a lot of that here. There is no "out of the box" or service pack to fix that. But people will go for it anyway, and post on here their problems, when they knew that most XP & below needs some new parts for the OS to work. And you can't blame Microsoft for these issues that I brought up. Plain & Simple.

Reaction score
I just disconnect the extra drives, install the OS and then hook them back up and it's all good.
And me, as I posted in another thread - simple task to re-map your drives if it doesn't do it automatically.

The other major reason for a lot of the install issues is because people are doing "upgrade" installs rather than clean installs. In my opinion, this because they don't want to go to the trouble of re-installing all the programs they have, or because they don't want to lose data, photos, documents, etc.
Agree - Upgrades are/can be a nightmare - as no guarantee it is going to work if it messes up - you could loose everything unless you have the OS on its own drive. I have seen it happen with XP to Vista with months of using File recovery software to try to recover important files...

For me I prefer New (full) on a new drive than upgrades.

That is why I have had external hard drives for over 6 years now, to keep what I want to keep separate from the OS.
And me - I now use USB HDD and multi HDD. C drive has just the OS and some Core software I use daily. Other drives for Data, Video, Linux etc... I also very much like Portable Apps as they aren't connected to any of the OS folder structure.

Ask a Question