Sound & Webcam issues

Reaction score
Hi I recently completed a routine system update on my samsung s3520 laptop windows 7 64 bit. Afterwards my sound, samsung universal scan driver and webcam stopped worked (code 39). I tried to return to previous settings but this did not work - something to do with antivirus software or file not found (even after stopping bitdefender this continued).

I managed to fix the sound issues by going to run - regedit -

\hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and deleting files with upper and lower limits.

Sound now works but webcam and samsung universal drivers do not.

I am running a windows SP1 with a windows SDK.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers - this doesn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated

Shintaro

Reaction score
When you say "Routine system update" what specifically?

Also playing in the registry is not a good idea. To be honest the best way to update stuff is to create a restore point, then update something, create another restore point........
Or simply uninstall the last thing that you installed.

Reaction score
It was a windows 7 critical update - automatic update by my update plus.

I was unable to revert to a previous restore point - system recovery didn't seem to let me revert to a restore point - it seemed to be unable to access the file...

Reaction score
I just tried to run system recovery again and got the same problem - I don't seem to be able to revert to previous restore point

'an unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x80070005)'

I have tried disabling bitdefender my antivirus program during a restore but the same error appears...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most likely you have Widows Updates set to "treat recommended updates the same as critical". Unfortunately for some computers this means W7 can include new drivers that aren't quite right for them. In control panel > windows update, uncheck that box.

As for what to do now. Look at the windows updates and see what drivers were installed (typically the devices that don't work) then open control panel > device manager and find those devices and choose "rollback driver". Then back in Windows Updates scan for updates & when that update appears again, right-click and choose "hide update".

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Things to try:

• Run chkdsk /r
  • Boot to Safe Mode and run Virus & Malware scan (Use Malwarebytes)
  • Still in Safe Mode, Disable the AV(Just for the moment) then try the Restore point.
Hope this helps.

Ask a Question