Sound and mouse choppy after using Remote Desktop in Windows 7 x64 RTM

Reaction score
I have a peculiar problem that seems to be related to Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 7. Here's the repro:

• I connect to my Windows 7 Enterprise x64 RTM box using a Remote Desktop Connection.
  • When I return to the console session (I log on to the computer when I' in front of it again), the sound crackles and stutters and the mouse is jerky and non-responsive when I browse the Internet in Internet Explorer (or Firfox).

If I log off, or reboot, the problem goes away.

This problem occurs in any music player (in Windows Media Player, or Winamp), and it seems unrelated to the sound card, because I tried two different USB sound cards and heard the same problem. The problem occurs with any mouse also.

Here's what I've tried:

Installed the latest Realtek drivers – a scan from PCPitstop indicates the drivers are up-to-date – no change in the problem.
Tried disabling the NVIDIA Hi-def components in Device Manager – no change in the problem.
Tried using 2 different external sound cards – the problem is the same with any sound card or device.
Installed the Codec lite pack – no change in the problem.
As per http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm, I tried setting the Msahci value from 3 to 0 – no change in the problem.
Disabled speaker effects (enhancements) – no change in the problem.
Reset the BIOS to the factory default settings – no change in the problem.
Tried using different apps to play music –the problem occurs in all programs.
Ran Hijack this to make sure nothing questionable is running.
use Shell Ex View (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html) and disable all the "Groove" extensions.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
There are several services associated with Remote Desktop. Try comparing the services that are running after a reboot to those running after you have connected. They all start with "Remote Desktop.."

Cheers!
Greg Oliver [MSFT]

Reaction score
There are several services associated with Remote Desktop. Try comparing the services that are running after a reboot to those running after you have connected. They all start with "Remote Desktop.."

Cheers!
Greg Oliver [MSFT]
Good idea! I'll try that.
Thanks Greg!!

Ask a Question