SM Bus Controller problem

Reaction score
I have an Hp dv6, i have a code 28 on my SM bus controller. then if i try to re/install the driver. it cant find one, ive read a few forums, and updated my graphics driver. (at least it says its up to date now) but its till doesnt work. also im pretty much a noob when it comes to software and stuff. so i dont have any idea whats happening. please help
sys info.png

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
SM bus controller driver is not the same as the graphics driver and you would get it from the computer or motherboard manufacturer. What is the make/model of your computer (or motherboard).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
HP Pavilion dv6 Drivers

There are 3 drivers listed under "Driver - Chipset". It is probably the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver but just install all three.

Reaction score
i have tried intalling the chipset drivers, but it never makes it through installaton. i get this error.
error 1.png

Reaction score
Suggest you download and install 3DP_Chip - 13.09 is the current version.- from cNet on your PC. It will scan your hardware and guide you to the exact location where you can find the correct driver. If you cannot access internet then get 3DP_Net on another PC and carry it to yours on a pen drive. It is about a 60 MB download and contains just about all the NIC driver known to mankind !

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
WARNING: Programs like PMSHAH mentioned that scan your computer and suggest/install drivers they say you need, can be extremely dangerous. Because drivers come from so many different manufacturers it is hard for them to stay updated on everything. But the worst problem is that they sometimes install the wrong driver; in some cases your machine may not even boot properly afterwards. It is much better to know your own equipment and visit the manufacturers' sites directly to get exactly what your system needs.

Reaction score
WARNING: Programs like PMSHAH mentioned that scan your computer and suggest/install drivers they say you need, can be extremely dangerous. Because drivers come from so many different manufacturers it is hard for them to stay updated on everything. But the worst problem is that they sometimes install the wrong driver; in some cases your machine may not even boot properly afterwards. It is much better to know your own equipment and visit the manufacturers' sites directly to get exactly what your system needs.
I beg to differ. This software is also hosted on Download.com of C-Net. I have been using this for more than 5 years now and have NEVER EVER had a problem. FYI you need 3DP_NET to install your NIC - ethernet or wifi before you can go on the net to get rest of your drivers. In 99.9 % of the cases 3DP-CHIP correctly identifies the hardware and points you to the actual manufacture's download link. Unless you have tried it do not simply debunk it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are so many manufacturers putting out so many products that it is impossible for one program to have the latest drivers for every product from every manufacturer. And 99.9% is not an absolute certainty; even if it is correct 99.999% of the time then 1 in 10,000 people gets a wrong driver and if that driver is something critical then that person may be forced to try and recover from safe mode.

There are many of these driver recommendation programs and part of their customer base are very basic users who have no clue what safe mode is let a known how to use it to rollback a driver or restore their computer to a previous date.

So have I tried that specific program you mentioned, no, the one that FUBARed my computer was Device Doctor. But they all have the limitation of only being as accurate as their last DB update and they all could install a driver that is not correct for your system. So I stand by my statement that it is better to know your own equipment and get the very latest drivers directly from the specific manufacturers.

That being said, there are ways to use programs like that and minimize your risks. One, you could use it simply to identify out-dated drivers and take that information to then visit the product manufacturers websites and update them on your own. Two (and this would require you know how to use safe mode and system restore in case of trouble), you can create a restore point, then run the program and let it install one and only one driver, then reboot. If your system boots and works properly then you can create another restore point and start the process again, if it does not work then use system restore (from safe mode if necessary) to back out to before that driver messed things up (from then on, skip that bad driver).

Reaction score
There are so many manufacturers putting out so many products that it is impossible for one program to have the latest drivers for every product from every manufacturer. And 99.9% is not an absolute certainty; even if it is correct 99.999% of the time then 1 in 10,000 people gets a wrong driver and if that driver is something critical then that person may be forced to try and recover from safe mode.

There are many of these driver recommendation programs and part of their customer base are very basic users who have no clue what safe mode is let a known how to use it to rollback a driver or restore their computer to a previous date.

So have I tried that specific program you mentioned, no, the one that FUBARed my computer was Device Doctor. But they all have the limitation of only being as accurate as their last DB update and they all could install a driver that is not correct for your system. So I stand by my statement that it is better to know your own equipment and get the very latest drivers directly from the specific manufacturers.

That being said, there are ways to use programs like that and minimize your risks. One, you could use it simply to identify out-dated drivers and take that information to then visit the product manufacturers websites and update them on your own. Two (and this would require you know how to use safe mode and system restore in case of trouble), you can create a restore point, then run the program and let it install one and only one driver, then reboot. If your system boots and works properly then you can create another restore point and start the process again, if it does not work then use system restore (from safe mode if necessary) to back out to before that driver messed things up (from then on, skip that bad driver).
Let me clarify a point regarding this specific software. This is 100 % FREEWARE. The only revenue they might be working with would be some advertising links on the download page.

Secondly it simply clearly shows the device identification and does not automatically download or install any driver or software.

Thirdly the users who have vary basic and limited knowledge would not even know what a driver is or how to find / install locate the right one.

There may be 10s of thousands of equipment manufacturers BUT actual number of manufacturers of critical components that are selected by motherboard manufacturers may not even be 50. All that one needs are chipset, video, NIC and USB drivers. Even companies like Intel who make everything that goes on a motherboard are bad when it comes to drivers. About 10 months ago I bought an Intel DH77EB motherboard for my i3-3220-T processor. Even after 3 Intel recommended and furnished driver updates the USB 3 ports are not working reliably. Neither the USB 2 nor the USB 3 ports can reliably supply enough power or remain connected to even 2 USB powered external drives when my 8 year old via C7 Mini-ITX and 6 year Zotac ION ITX can handle 4 such drives simultaneously without a glitch. Even USB 3 cable connected drives work flawlessly from USB 2 ports.

Reaction score
SM bus controller driver is not the same as the graphics driver and you would get it from the computer or motherboard manufacturer. What is the make/model of your computer (or motherboard).

hi sir, i'm using acer aspire e1-431. my problem is i can't see the video memory of my laptop in dxdiag. it shown n/a. my driver is already installed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Julius I'm not sure that would be wrong. Your laptop's video likely gets it memory from your RAM rather than having dedicated memory.

Reaction score
If you go into bios settings you would be able to see the amount of ram dedicated for graphics from main memory pool. You might be able to change this too.

Ask a Question