Sign of impending failure???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
pay the $20 more and get the 1TB spinrite
you can make up $4 of that with the 19.99 oem 24X DVD on sale today
I see you went with an older graphics card but since he isn't into gaming that should work fine
How much more for an I7? can he up it to 6GB ram?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat - Why waste all that money on a notebook computer? You can get a much better desktop with all the features you want for about the same if not less money. In addition, it will stay much cooler with far superior ventilation and a much better power supply.

If you build it yourself, you can save even more money and get a really kick butt system.

To be honest with you, you really don't go anywhere, you're basically a home body (pardon the expression). Why do you need a notebook anyway?

Comparison wise - you get more BANG for the BUCK with a desktop system versus a notebook system, more power, better cooling, way easier to add hardware to it, easier to clean and repair.

If you're concerned about size and space, the new micro-ATX boards that are out are very potent little boards and with that small form factor in a kick butt small case you would have a much superior system to any notebook.
One reason that I like a notebook is that I can go anywhere in the house (or outdoors) with it, as well as when I do go somewhere (very seldom), I carry it with me. Until late last year, all that I've ever had were notebooks.

However, you do stand correct in that a desktop build would be a far better system, but I just recently bought one. The problem with that would not be with me, but my spouse. When I bought it, I got $200 out of the Christmas money to buy it, I would hear a LOT of chin music if I were to build one at this soon of a time.

But, if my notebook goes, nothing would be said, because it wasn't my decision for it to fall on it's face. Sure, I'm doing nothing to stop it from happening, but I've ran several tests on it, and there are obvious drive problems, all of the cleaning and reapplying thermal paste will not stop the drive from dying totally. And it's insured for $400, far more than it's worth, so why not collect the cash and buy a new one?

And lastly, if the notebook configuration that I want is overkill, what type of one would be best for everyday use & folding 24/7, with a day per week break? I know that there's some good dual cores on the market, but an Athlon X2 is not cutting things, as far as high performance goes.

I'm not committed to what brand of notebook that I buy, but what processor would be the best for a notebook (performance wise)? And I'd like 4GB RAM, upgradable to 6GB if I see the need to. Folding is an intense process, and I want hardware that is up to the job, not something that is going to crash every time I turn around.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is a killer notebook! Toshiba's are known for their quality, now I know where to start looking. I did notice one thing in the specs on Newegg's site. It has 4GB RAM (2GB x2), has no extra slots, yet is expandable to 8GB RAM. Are there 4GB RAM sticks on the market? If so, as soon as this desktop is out of warranty, I'll do what you told me before, putting my parts in a mid size tower, but get a new MOBO that will handle 8GB RAM, if you can buy the sticks like that, I already have a 2GB x2 configuration.

That will be a great project when the time comes. I intend to remain a TechNet member, so a MOBO swap will mean nothing, I can get all of the install discs that I want, plus the next version of Windows will be here by then. Who would want the last generation's OS in a new build?

One last thing, I noticed that the notebook had 7 Home Premium. Would a retail Pro key install through the Anytime Upgrade process, to make it Pro? If not, no big deal, I'll spend the nearly $100 for the Pro Anytime Upgrade, it's a status thing, having Pro over Home, one that I have always had, and always will have.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes there are 4GB chips but the MOBO has to be designed to handle them. Some MOBOs can't have more than 1GB per slot, others only 2GB.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If there's 4GB chips that will fit into my slots, as soon as the warranty expires, I'll do as Nibiru suggested, putting everything into a mid sized tower, and get a new MOBO & processor together.

Reaction score
A BBQ you can remote control through network connectivity....now there's an idea to mass market lol.

Someone tell Realtek and get them working on a lan standard for it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat only wants it if its a wireless BBQ :lol:

With a little webcam so you can monitor the progress from your laptop.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, so I can make a You Tube type of video of it. That would make for some laughs, a BBQ'd notebook.:D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Must be, I've never figured out the reason it was frying, but now I know. It reached 61 last night, it's getting time for some good BBQ sauce to go with it.:D

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That is a killer notebook! Toshiba's are known for their quality, now I know where to start looking. I did notice one thing in the specs on Newegg's site. It has 4GB RAM (2GB x2), has no extra slots, yet is expandable to 8GB RAM. Are there 4GB RAM sticks on the market? If so, as soon as this desktop is out of warranty, I'll do what you told me before, putting my parts in a mid size tower, but get a new MOBO that will handle 8GB RAM, if you can buy the sticks like that, I already have a 2GB x2 configuration.

That will be a great project when the time comes. I intend to remain a TechNet member, so a MOBO swap will mean nothing, I can get all of the install discs that I want, plus the next version of Windows will be here by then. Who would want the last generation's OS in a new build?

One last thing, I noticed that the notebook had 7 Home Premium. Would a retail Pro key install through the Anytime Upgrade process, to make it Pro? If not, no big deal, I'll spend the nearly $100 for the Pro Anytime Upgrade, it's a status thing, having Pro over Home, one that I have always had, and always will have.

Cat
If it states it can handle 8 GB of RAM then it can, and yes there are 4GB sticks of SO-DIMM RAM on the market. Remember that notebook RAM and desktop RAM are two different configurations and are not interchangeable. SO-DIMM (small outline dual in-line memory) module for notebooks, DIMM for desktops.

Also, changing or adding more RAM to a new notebook DOES NOT affect the warranty or negate it at all whatsoever. It very common to do that after a purchase and many users do so, so no need to wait until a warranty expires to add additional RAM.

When you state: "putting my parts in a mid size tower, but get a new MOBO that will handle 8GB RAM" do you mean your current desktop setup? I'm confused about that statement since your current setup is more like a notebook mounted on a monitor stand than a desktop.

You can do that "Anytime Upgrade" if you want, but you'll have to pay more again to do it on a new computer and besides why waste the money on something that is superfluous when you have all the resources at your fingertips via your TechNet subscription.

Why not just use your Windows 7 Pro discs you have via your TechNet subscription? Doing a new install of a different operating system or going from Home Premium to Professional via an install DOES NOT affect your warranty either regardless of what you may think. I have researched this quite a bit and doing a clean install of a new OS will not affect the notebook's warranty.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Actually a wireless BBQ with remote temperature sensors and auto-feed wood chips to the firebox along with an auto-feed mopping sauce applicator.

Also, automatic humidity moisture control too with a cam-operated auto-flip mechanism for turning the ribs, brisket, Boston butts, hot links, chicken, etc.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That is a killer notebook! Toshiba's are known for their quality,
It's got the HDMI out, why can't they throw in the Blu-ray. Then it would be truly double kick ass.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If it states it can handle 8 GB of RAM then it can, and yes there are 4GB sticks of SO-DIMM RAM on the market. Remember that notebook RAM and desktop RAM are two different configurations and are not interchangeable. SO-DIMM (small outline dual in-line memory) module for notebooks, DIMM for desktops.

Also, changing or adding more RAM to a new notebook DOES NOT affect the warranty or negate it at all whatsoever. It very common to do that after a purchase and many users do so, so no need to wait until a warranty expires to add additional RAM.

When you state: "putting my parts in a mid size tower, but get a new MOBO that will handle 8GB RAM" do you mean your current desktop setup? I'm confused about that statement since your current setup is more like a notebook mounted on a monitor stand than a desktop.

You can do that "Anytime Upgrade" if you want, but you'll have to pay more again to do it on a new computer and besides why waste the money on something that is superfluous when you have all the resources at your fingertips via your TechNet subscription.

Why not just use your Windows 7 Pro discs you have via your TechNet subscription? Doing a new install of a different operating system or going from Home Premium to Professional via an install DOES NOT affect your warranty either regardless of what you may think. I have researched this quite a bit and doing a clean install of a new OS will not affect the notebook's warranty.
When I was stating about my current desktop, I was speaking of what you were telling me a month or so ago, putting my current parts in a mid size tower, and doing a new MOBO and processor install. But that will be after the warranty expires.

Regarding the new notebook purchase, I was asking if entering a retail key (TechNet) would be the same as a purchased Anytime Upgrade key. I prefer Pro, you can do this with the Anytime Upgrade, without messing with your current OEM filesystem and programs, some of which are good (MS Works is a good app). I would want to retain the OEM OS, and only upgrade it to Pro the easy way, through the Anytime Upgrade. And down the road, get those 4GB RAM sticks for it, they probably are expensive.

But in any case, I want to keep the original OS, and upgrade it to Pro via Anytime Upgrade. This allows me to retain all of my original drivers & programs. Hopefully, this explains what my previous post was about.

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question