Several BSOD's, really need help.

Reaction score
Hello all, I am glad I came across this forum as I am having some issues with my new rig that has windows 7 premium on it.

My system specs are:
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-ud3r
4 sticks @ 8 GB Gskill RAM
Intel Q 9550 @ 2.83 ghz (Stock, no OC'ing)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 275
Pioneer Dvd\cd drive
500 GB WD Sata Hard drive w\ 386 GB free
Corsair 650W Modular PS
Antec 900 CaseWin 7 Pro 64 bit

The problems I am having are these....

The rig is just for gaming and I have maybe 4 hrs total time on the system. I like racing games and regulary play NASCAR 2003 by Papyrus (Sierra), Rfactor, Race 07, Gt Legends and just purchased and installed Dirt 2 a couple of days ago.

I have not had any problems with getting the games to install, just some freezing\lockup issues while playing Race 07, and NASCAR.

The Dirt 2 game loaded and goes to the Amd splash screen, the intel splash screen, a couple more follow after those and when the guy starts telling you "Here's your car" the game locks up right after that or I get a BSOD. This problem is if i choose the game option to "Not sign in" and just try to play offline.

If I choose to "register\sign in" with the Windows Live games service, it will give the option to sign in and say it needs to open Internet Explore proceed, I say yes, then it will take me to the desktop and say IE stopped working.

I found out there is a patch for Dirt 2 and when I install it and then double clk the dirt 2.exe the cd symbol spins a couple times but the game never launches.

I tried compatibility mode for Dirt 2 and always the same results as mentioned above.

I have tried 3 different Nvidia drivers, the most recent being the new beta drivers with the same result.

I went to Gigabytes site and dl'd the latest network adapter, raid controller, and hi def audio driver. I did this because driver agent told me these were the ones that were older)

At one point Win 7's built in hardware troubleshooter asks to run tests so I did and it found no hardware problems (i think it was mainly a RAM test it ran but said all was well.

I have never updated a bios on any of my mobos (have not had the need to) and I was saving this as a last resort for this mobo because reading some posts it looks like you can screw things up bad if done wrong and I do not have a floppy drive but I am assuming a flash drive would work too.

The Antec case has plenty ofair flow and I am confident there are no heat issues. I have done all the Win 7 updates. I use Avg free 9.0 but in the event viewer section I think i have seen some warnings with a file that began with avg so that could be causing some problems but it is up to date and a frsh scan was done Monday as well as a clean scan with Malwarebytes.

Okay I think that is everything I have tried to fix things. If someone can look at the dump file and tell me what direction I should go next I would appreciate it very much.

Regards, Bryan

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have exactly the same mobo as you do. BIOS firmware version F12 is the latest, dated: 1-18-2010

You can update the BIOS using a Flash drive using the Q-Flash utility in the BIOS. Just hold the DELETE key down when booting up and then you'll be in the blue BIOS screen. Look at the bottom of the screen and you'll see which key to press for the Q-Flash utility. Be sure your thumb drive is connected and follow the prompts from there.

Just be sure to NOT POWER DOWN while doing this. I have a UPS on my system so I don't have any worries in that regard. It will take about 1-2 minutes and ask for a reboot. Then on reboot, press I believe it's F7 to load Optimum BIOS settings and save and then reboot again.

Actually flashing a BIOS with a firmware update is not that difficult, just a little scary the first time you do it. When it's all done you'll sit back and think... that wasn't so bad after all. I have flashed a BIOS about 30 times or so and never had any problems. The KEY is to just follow the prompts, go slow and be patient.

Do that and you should be good, but you'll have to go back and reconfigure your BIOS to the settings you want.

Set your hard drive for AHCI setting as it will enable the SATA drive to run faster and enable Native Command Queing. MAKE SURE your RAM settings are set for what is recommended for the brand and settings of the RAM you have installed.

Make sure you have the latest Intel Chipset Info driver. Installing the driver can be a little more complicated than Intel states. Download the latest version from the Intel website and get the ZIP file version, not the executable version. Then read the README file and look for the section: Installing driver after Windows 7 Install. It's all done and updated through the Device Manager section of the Computer / Properties area. If you need more help let me know.

I will be gone from about 12:30PM CDT USA time till about 10:30PM CDT USA time.

Reaction score
Do that and you should be good, but you'll have to go back and reconfigure your BIOS to the settings you want.

Set your hard drive for AHCI setting as it will enable the SATA drive to run faster and enable Native Command Queing.
No offense, but can you tell us approximately how much experience you have analyzing crash dumps? Have you even looked at these. (No, gimme a break here.)

If he changes his bios to AHCI mode, then it will not boot to Windows. (Come on, now!)

---------------------------

PATOS, you're getting memory corruption of all types.

Please uninstall your notorious AVG with the special tool found here to fix it:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

MSE is your best alternative as it is the only a/v to never crash systems ever and is excellent. Please install that as a replacement.

Let us know how it goes and post a new crash dump if needed.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I was browsing some of the other posts, after sending mine, and I saw where you (Torrent G) recommended another person remove their AVG. I had already planned on taking mine off 2nite and installing MSE.

You confirmed this with your reply to me so I will definetly do that tonight and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Not any better

Hi Torrent G, I used the 64bit avg uninstaller, installed MSE and updated just fine. I tried to launch Dirt 2 but it does not launch and i have gotten 3 BSOD's since removing AVG.

I have attached the mini dump file again so you can see if you know what else is happening and thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Same types of memory corruption. One of the errors that keeps repeating though is a 0x3B error. The two things that cause this are antivirus, which you've already removed, and video card drivers.

So going by the fact your video card driver is from pre-RTM times, please update to the latest one from here:

NVIDIA

That should fix this part of the problem as there should really be no more 0x3b stops now.

Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Wed Apr 29 00:19:30 2009
-------------------

This driver is from Gigabyte and is power related. It's the Dynamic Energy Saver driver and it's older date is probably giving problems.
Please update it to the latest by going to downloads and then you'll find it in the Utility section of Windows 7, 64 bit:

Code:
 gdrv     gdrv.sys     Fri Aug 08 14:28:54 2008
http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3013&dl=1#driver

------------------------

I think you'll be fine after updating these two things. Running the latest bios is always good, so you can update that if necessary too.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No offense, but can you tell us approximately how much experience you have analyzing crash dumps? Have you even looked at these. (No, gimme a break here.)

If he changes his bios to AHCI mode, then it will not boot to Windows. (Come on, now!)
I was just trying to be helpful that's all. Crash dumps are not my specialty, which apparently it's yours which you wave in my face. I could care less about crash dumps to be honest. The main point of my suggestions was to enable him to do a clean or custom install.

He would probably be better off by doing a clean fresh install anyway, with the latest drivers and updates. He's wasting too much time by piddling around with all the suggested fixes which don't seem to be working. Considering the time he's wasted he could have done a fresh clean install and loaded all the newest drivers and software and be up and running by now.

Besides once one does a BIOS firmware update, it is usually customary to do a re-install of the operating system. I made the assumption he would be doing that.

His original post was about 12 hours ago or so. By now he would have a clean install with up-to-date drivers and all his software installed, with a much better running system.

Reaction score
Bios updates and OS installs are completely independent of each other. One has nothing to do with the other.

If he did a reinstall of the OS, he'd still be left with the original driver for his video card which is most likely causing the issue at this point. And he would be back to square one with the original Energy Saving driver. Not good.

I've lead him the proper ways so far. This is the Crashes, BSODs and Debugging section. If you don't know how to read crash dumps and it's not a specialty of yours, how could you possibly be saying the right things?

I went over all of his drivers. Everything that needed attention has been shown.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I've lead him the proper ways so far. This is the Crashes, BSODs and Debugging section. If you don't know how to read crash dumps and it's not a specialty of yours, how could you possibly be saying the right things?
You are correct... my bad. :eek:

I forgot there was a new section dedicated just for BSOD, Crashes, etc.

Since you are the expert, I'll stay out of this section and let you handle it.

I wouldn't want to tread on someone's territory... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi again, I dl'd the power\energy saving driver from the Gigabyte Utility section and installed it. I also have installed the latest Nvidia driver for my gtx 275, which is 257.21 and I still am getting BSOD's.

I thought i would do the 1st and last thing recommended to me and update the bios. I have a HP 8GB flash drive that i removed all my old files from, installed and unzipped the "new" bios from the Giga site onto the drive, and went into the q flash utility. The only drive that shows up to install from is my western digital 500GB one so I went back into the setup screens and made my flash drive as 1st boot then cards then western dig drive as 3rd. Once i entered the q-flash utility again the same results... just the western dig 500GB shows up and not the flash drive.

I am doing something wrong but what I don't know. I am in safe mode now with no problems but I need to get to zzz for now. I will check for any replies in the morning before work and see if I can update the bios before work.

I am anxious to find out and fix why this thing is giving me so many fits. Thanks for all the help guys I am not ready to give up yet!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Make sure the BIOS update file is NOT in a folder, just put it on the drive by itself.

Make sure you set the BIOS for: USB-HDD

Make sure the thumb flash drive is formatted to: FAT 32

You can put the BIOS update on the WD 500 drive and it should work okay from there too.

The Q-Flash utility will find it.

Here's a very handy little tutorial link that should help you and answer most of your questions:

BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Q-flash Guide"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Updated Bios still BSOD

Thanks for the bios update clarification this morning.... I was able to update my bios before work and it went A okay; however, when i set the boot device back to the HD i get a BSOD. I am able to get into safe mode with no problems still.

I do have the dump file i will attach again but I jotted down the BSOD main info this morning and it said it was due to a device driver and stop error 0x000000c4 gdrv.sys

I typed the gdrv.sys into google and I see a couple of things it looks like it may be, Gigabyte's Easytune 6 tool or their Dynamic Energy Saver program, which is one of the driver's we updated last night.

Here is the latest dump file, just let me know what to do next and I'll keep work'in at it.

Thanks for all the time and assistance!

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I don't use the Gigabyte EasyTune 6 utility at all. I suggest you don't either, it's a waste of time and look at the issues you're having!

I don't do dump files... sorry! To me they're a waste of time. (That's my personal opinion.)

All the time, energy and stress you've wasted on this, my last and final recommendation would be to do a new clean install of your operating system. With the latest drivers for the Intel Chipset, Realtek Audio, etc.

If you want to continue to mess with the dump files then TorrentG can help you.

I am now dropping back to the 20 yard line and punting the football to TorrentG! LOL!

Reaction score
We've definitely found an issue now and it is involving gdrv.sys for sure.

Code:
gdrv     gdrv.sys     Fri Aug 08 14:28:54 2008
Code:
BugCheck C4, {f6, c4, fffffa800a246b30, fffff880087567e9}

Unable to load image gdrv.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for gdrv.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for gdrv.sys
Probably caused by : gdrv.sys ( gdrv+17e9 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
If it were me, I'd probably uninstall the whole Utility and leave it like that.

Going by all the errors seen, I would definitely run Memtest86+ overnight to see if it tells of any errors by morning. In any case regardless of results, a slight bump up of .1v may prove helpful in the bios for the RAM voltage.

Also, if you're running Readyboost, remove the USB key for now for testing purposes. Readyboost has shown in the crash stack of one dump.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TorrentG. So the gdrv.sys is the Gigabyte Easytuner program or do I need to remove Easytuner and the Giga Power management utility too?

I remember seeing the RAM voltage settings in the bios so I think i can bump that up .1 like you recommended.

I did not know I was running Readyboost. I don't even know what it is really but I am assuming it is a fixed file on my usb flash drive and once i disconnect the drive that should fix that?

I will try these things tonight after work.

Reaction score
Thanks TorrentG. So the gdrv.sys is the Gigabyte Easytuner program or do I need to remove Easytuner and the Giga Power management utility too?
You're welcome. I'd remove them both for now.

I did not know I was running Readyboost. I don't even know what it is really but I am assuming it is a fixed file on my usb flash drive and once i disconnect the drive that should fix that?
Yes, Readyboost will definitely not be activate if there aren't any usb flash drives attached to the system.

If you want to be precise with it, use CPU-Z to find out which exact memory modules are in use. Then visit the manufacturer's website about them for the intended proper voltage. Set the bios accordingly. If you find that they are meant to run at standard voltage, then still apply a raise by .1v.

Last edited:
Reaction score
10-4 on all that TorrentG. I actually had a chance to stop by my house for lunch about 45 mins ago and I wanted to take Easytune off to see if that would solve my problem.

Well, i can't boot the machine regularly because i get a BSOD after typing in my user pw so i have to go in thru safemode.

Once i went into safemode, control panel, program files and i highlight Easytune 6 and click uninstall, the blue\gray installer\uninstaller icon flashes in the lower taskbar about 2 secs and disappears and does not execute the "uninstall".

Do you know how I can get Easytune off? I did not have time to try & remove the Power saving utility but I imagine i may run into the same problem as w\ Easytune.

Thanks

Reaction score
Boot to safe mode + networking.

You can try using Revo Uninstaller or Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

When the uninstall is complete, you can navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers

and manually delete gdrv.sys if it is still there.

Reaction score
I think that was the trick! I uninstalled Easytune & the Energy Saver program, rebooted and I was able to get into Dirt 2 and play it finally.

No BSOD's since i took the two programs off and i played for about 3 hours once i got it going so I think it will be fine now.

I didn't try my NASCAR, rFactor, Race 07 games but I will find out tonight on those. Anyway, those games actually played but would just freeze sometimes.

Thanks for ALL the help guys!

Ask a Question