Setting up hard drives

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. I'm going to be doing a new build shortly and I need some advice on setting up my hard drives. Here's what I have. My present HD is 500 gigs with XP home installed. My new HD will be a 1 TB Western Digital that will have Windows 7 home installed. What would be the best strategy for partitioning the new HD? I"m thinking about a 100 gig partition for the OS and programs and the rest for storage, so I need to know about transferring the data from the old HD to the new one so I can reformat and use the old drive for storage/backup. Does this sound like a plan or is there a better way to go about it? I've only had to deal with one HD, so this is new to me and any info would be great. Thanks.
BTW, the files I want to transfer are mostly pics, movies, and music if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I personally set aside 25GB for Windows, and the rest for games/apps/storage. Nothing should go on the C: drive, except for things you can't put elsewhere, because it all gets destroyed in a reformat. The less you have to back up off of C: before reformatting, the better.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So you plan to have both the 500GB and the 1TB in your new computer and scraping the old computer completely?

I would put the drive in your old computer or attach it via a USB or eSATA(if available) docking station, format the 1 TB with a 10GB partition first (make it 18GB if you plan to have 8GB of RAM in your new computer) and then the the rest as a single partition, and migrate all your data to the big partition on the 1TB. Then I would reformat the 500GB and I'm a little more generous than Thrax because HDs are cheap so I would probably give it 80GB for the OS and a 420GB partition. Then I would install both drives in your new machine and I would put the W7 OS on the 80GB partition as C:, I would use the big partion on the 1TB as D:, and I would use the 420GB as E:, and I would have the DVD as F: and I would make the 10GB partition something higher like X: (That way any USB devices that attach become G:, H: etc.)

Then you change your Pagefile to be on X:. And you drag and drop or relocate your libraries (Downloads, My Pictures, My Videos, My Music) from C: to the D: drive. And then move your migrated data under the appropriate library.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't have a USB docking station, so I suppose the only way I could do it like that is to format the TB drive and set it as a slave in the new machine, transfer the data, then reformat the 500 gig drive as suggested, labeling all partitions accordingly. Is there a reason to put the OS on the smaller drive? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm not an uber geek and am always looking to learn more about how this stuff works. Thanks for your input! BTW, I was reading about pagefiles, and I see why it's desirable to move it to another drive. Thanks for the tip!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the reason I recommended putting the OS on the smaller drive was so you have the biggest amount of space for your data by putting it on the new drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the reason I recommended putting the OS on the smaller drive was so you have the biggest amount of space for your data by putting it on he new drive.
Ask a stupid question...;)
I ran a diagnostic on the old HD this morning and it has a couple of bad sectors, so I'm gonna go with 2 new drives. Also, is there an issue with loading W7 from a SATA DVD ROM?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well a couple bad sectors is not unusual. Have you ever gotten any S.M.A.R.T. warnings about the drive as that would worry me more than a couple sectors. When a sector goes bad the HD marks it to never be used ... bam, no more problem. If the amount of bad sectors starts growing or the SMART self tests start spitting out warnings then that is a definite sign to replace the drive. Even so, HDs are relatively cheap now and you can pick up 1Tb for around $60US.

What you might consider doing is cloning the OS drive to the old 500 once you have it installed, and all the programs installed, and all the settings as you like. Then take it out and slip the other data drive in. Then you pop the 500GB in a drawer as a complete back-up of your OS should you ever get infected by a virus or your OS drive crashes.

No, no issues from a SATA DVD-ROM that I'm aware of.

Reaction score
Okay, I was concerned about the system detecting SATA as opposed to IDE on a fresh install and initial startup of a brand new system.
No, I haven't gotten any S.M.A.R.T. warnings from the HD, but it has been hanging up when it tries to boot back up on a restart. I've been having to try to start multiple times before it decides to boot, so I'd rather start with new drives and either install it as a slave to get my data off or put it in another computer and access it via my home network. I'm not even sure I could set it as a slave with a separate OS on it. (I'm still researching as I go--it's been a while since I've even done a new build) That's the only method I know to try. If I didn't have so much on there, I wouldn't care, but I'd like to keep it all, if possible. I've even considered temporarily using a service like Carbonite to hold my files to keep them safe for now. I dunno...:dontknow:

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't have a USB docking station, so I suppose the only way I could do it like that is to format the TB drive and set it as a slave in the new machine, transfer the data, then reformat the 500 gig drive as suggested, labeling all partitions accordingly. Is there a reason to put the OS on the smaller drive? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm not an uber geek and am always looking to learn more about how this stuff works. Thanks for your input! BTW, I was reading about pagefiles, and I see why it's desirable to move it to another drive. Thanks for the tip!
If possible set your drives in AHC I- mode, no Master / Slave anymore and it is better for your drives with NCQ ( check first ) 0 = C, 1 = D, ...

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Well a couple bad sectors is not unusual. Have you ever gotten any S.M.A.R.T. warnings about the drive as that would worry me more than a couple sectors. When a sector goes bad the HD marks it to never be used ... bam, no more problem. If the amount of bad sectors starts growing or the SMART self tests start spitting out warnings then that is a definite sign to replace the drive. Even so, HDs are relatively cheap now and you can pick up 1Tb for around $60US.

What you might consider doing is cloning the OS drive to the old 500 once you have it installed, and all the programs installed, and all the settings as you like. Then take it out and slip the other data drive in. Then you pop the 500GB in a drawer as a complete back-up of your OS should you ever get infected by a virus or your OS drive crashes.

No, no issues from a SATA DVD-ROM that I'm aware of.
Hey TM...

How do you clone the OS drive?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think most here recommend Macrium or Acronis (a free version of Acronis is available to owners of Western Digital drives). See links in our Freeware DB.

Other possibilities are available in this Article.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the best, buy new drives en hold the old once for BU. Format the drives first ( by a friend who have XP = full format )? The other Q, i used in the past S.M.A.R.T. software, but i put it out of my system, because are you busy with your hobby or are you looking for your HDD's, on a other "good" disk slipstream the OS and office with the latest SP's for BU, i did this from 95osr2 -98se-XPpro-and now for 1°7-HPX64_2°7-ProX64. If you have WD- HDD's ACRONIS is free and OK, but there alternativs? ( BE_DU ) Best Regards and good luck

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For the best, buy new drives en hold the old once for BU. Format the drives first ( by a friend who have XP = full format )?
If you mean the low level formatting, that isn't really recommended for newer drives and a standard format is available in all windows versions including W7.
The other Q, i used in the past S.M.A.R.T. software, but i put it out of my system, because are you busy with your hobby or are you looking for your HDD's, on a other "good" disk slipstream the OS and office with the latest SP's for BU, i did this from 95osr2 -98se-XPpro-and now for 1°7-HPX64_2°7-ProX64.
And I'm not sure I understand what you mean here...

SMART technology is implemented on all major manufacturers hard drives any more, though it is not standardized as to what exactly that means. It is just one more tool to help warn you of a potential hard drive failure.

The slip-streamed OS and office DVDs would be really handy if you need to reinstall but if you actually maintain a back-up image of your system then you shouldn't ever need the DVDs.

So I'm not sure why you would want hard drives without SMART simply because you slip-stream? I am wondering if you are confusing SMART with RAID 1?

SMART is simply an early warning system for the hard drive and has nothing to do with back-ups whereas RAID 1 would maintain duplicate HDs in case of the failure of one. I would say RAID 1 is overkill for a home computer and regular back-ups would be more suitable. But I would not avoid/disable SMART technology even if you could find harddrives without it.

Reaction score
If you mean the low level formatting, that isn't really recommended for newer drives and a standard format is available in all windows versions including W7.

And I'm not sure I understand what you mean here...

SMART technology is implemented on all major manufacturers hard drives any more, though it is not standardized as to what exactly that means. It is just one more tool to help warn you of a potential hard drive failure.

The slip-streamed OS and office DVDs would be really handy if you need to reinstall but if you actually maintain a back-up image of your system then you shouldn't ever need the DVDs.

So I'm not sure why you would want hard drives without SMART simply because you slip-stream? I am wondering if you are confusing SMART with RAID 1?

SMART is simply an early warning system for the hard drive and has nothing to do with back-ups whereas RAID 1 would maintain duplicate HDs in case of the failure of one. I would say RAID 1 is overkill for a home computer and regular back-ups would be more suitable. But I would not avoid/disable SMART technology even if you could find harddrives without it.
SMART is not raid 1, hehe, try different SMART-software; the one say OK, the second: health 80 %, the third something different. Have you something to win with SMART software ? :eek: And i don't mean a low level format, because out off the factory the are low formatted, What a discussion, man. Regards

Last edited:

Ask a Question