SOLVED Secondary Hardrive Failure

Reaction score
About a year ago I upgraded to an SSD, but because of its size I couldn't fit all my programs on, so I installed any program, that I didn't need the extra speed, on a second hard drive. Problem is that the second hard drive has now had a complete and total fail. It is dead. Now when I try to uninstall or install any of the programs, that were on that drive, I get an error saying that the drive is missing.

How do I clean up this so I can install these programs to a new hard drive?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You need to run the installation for those programs again. That will change all the file location entries in Registry to the new locations.

Reaction score
When I run the installation again, it gives me the same error message. (Error 1327. Invalid Drive: K:\ )

My main drive is C and I haven't changed its letter.

I think it has something to do with the installation think the default drive it should be installing on is K instead of C. Because it is happening when the installation is computing space requirements.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The old installation information is probably stored in the registry. If you aren't willing to pick through the registry looking for K: then you might try a removal tool like Revo Uninstaller. Then you can run the uninstalls from Revo & even after it gets an error tell Revo to run an indepth scan and with any luck it will remove the old registry entries.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
you're welcome. glad it worked out for you.

Ask a Question