Format secondary partition

Reaction score
I have a HDD that had multi boot setup, both the Win7 (32bot, I think).
I had managed to format C and install Win7 64bit.
Now I would like to format the D drive, but I am having trouble.
I have been to Disk Managment and tried to format but to no avail.
Any suggestions???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Post a screen shot of your disk management please.

Reaction score
Correction, it appears that I have 2 500GB HDD's, however it is still D drive that I would like to format to use as storage (Disk 1).

Attachments

Reaction score
If you notice D:\ is your system partition. The system partition is the partition that Windows is booted too and will be protected by the system. You will need to set the System BIOS to boot to the other drive, which is the one you are using as C:\. This will likely give you boot issues if I am correct because it would appear your boot files are on D:\ and need to be on C:\. After changing the boot drive, if you have boot issues, use your Windows 7 Install Media or Windows 7 Repair Disk to make corrections to your boot files.

If you don't have Windows 7 Repair Disk, create one yourself.
Type "Create a System Repair Disc" from the Start Menu search box. You will see that you have an option to create your own repair disk. This disk can be used to fix the boot issue you may face.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you notice D:\ is your system partition. The system partition is the partition that Windows is booted too
Ummm, what image are you looking at Clifford? That screenshot clearly shows C:\ drive as the "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, and Primary Partition."

because it would appear your boot files are on D:\
Where are you seeing this? Is there another thread somewhere? I see nothing to indicate there is anything on D: drive. :confused:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Ummm, what image are you looking at Clifford? That screenshot clearly shows C:\ drive as the "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, and Primary Partition."

Where are you seeing this? Is there another thread somewhere? I see nothing to indicate there is anything on D: drive. :confused:
It says it right there in the screenshot. His C partition is only the Boot/Page/Dump partition (hosting /Windows etc), and his D partition is the active System partition, in other words hosts the /Boot information. It's the System partition that contains the instructions where to boot the system up from.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
:eek: Geewhiz. I'm going back to bed. My apologies to Clifford. Core is right - "System" says it all. And my apologies to pheinig68 if I caused any confusion.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No need for apologies,
Well, I appreciate that, but I really hate it when the wrong information is posted - and especially so when I post it. So I try to ensure I am right and I failed to do that this time which could have caused confusion. my apologies just the same.

Ask a Question