Script-disabling in Firefox


E

Ed Cryer

This page provides an excellent lesson in why you need some
script-disabling add-on with Firefox.
Without add-on an advert covers most of the page.
IE9, on the other hand, doesn't show the ad. I only use IE9 for
comparison and have no add-ons installed.
http://tft.vanity.dk/

Ed
 
Ad

Advertisements

Z

Zaphod Beeblebrox

I saw no advert - thanks to AdBlockPlus
I use NoScript.
[/QUOTE]

Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I use both...

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.
 
E

Ed Cryer

Zaphod said:
I use NoScript.
Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I use both...
[/QUOTE]

I feel a bit wary with one switched on, so I regularly disable it to see
the real McCoy.
This particular ad I can't move. It just sits right over the page and
cuts you off from the things there.

Ed
 
C

Char Jackson

I feel a bit wary with one switched on, so I regularly disable it to see
the real McCoy.
I don't know if that's funny or sad or something else, but it's surely
quite odd, and quite the opposite of how I view the situation.
This particular ad I can't move. It just sits right over the page and
cuts you off from the things there.
I didn't see it. I use AdBlockPlus.
 
J

John Williamson

Char said:
I don't know if that's funny or sad or something else, but it's surely
quite odd, and quite the opposite of how I view the situation.


I didn't see it. I use AdBlockPlus.
I didn't see it, or I wouldn't have pointed to that URL, but deep linked
to the .exe or .html files.

FF15, by the way, Windows XP, Adblock + running unobtrusively in the
background. I don't see any of these ads.
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Ed Cryer

John said:
I didn't see it, or I wouldn't have pointed to that URL, but deep linked
to the .exe or .html files.

FF15, by the way, Windows XP, Adblock + running unobtrusively in the
background. I don't see any of these ads.
Well, now that you all know about it, how about someone taking a look to
see if it can be moved? That was my reason for starting this. It seems a
bit heavy-handed to plonk an ad there without a way to move it. Maybe
I'm wrong. Someone try and win a gold medal here!

Ed


E
 
G

Gene Wirchenko

[snip]
Well, now that you all know about it, how about someone taking a look to
see if it can be moved? That was my reason for starting this. It seems a
bit heavy-handed to plonk an ad there without a way to move it. Maybe
I'm wrong. Someone try and win a gold medal here!
I tried. Nothing worked. So...

"...and the gold medal in intelligent Website use goes to Gene
Wirchenko. His brilliant solution was to realise any site that broken
should just be skipped. We have a report that Mr. Wirchenko seems to
have skipped off saying that anyone could do that and that it really
is not worth a medal."

Actually, the site works fine with NoScript doing its work for
me. You do not need the ad in order to use the site.

Sincerely,

Gene "Go for the Gold!" Wirchenko
 
E

Ed Cryer

Gene said:
[snip]
Well, now that you all know about it, how about someone taking a look to
see if it can be moved? That was my reason for starting this. It seems a
bit heavy-handed to plonk an ad there without a way to move it. Maybe
I'm wrong. Someone try and win a gold medal here!
I tried. Nothing worked. So...

"...and the gold medal in intelligent Website use goes to Gene
Wirchenko. His brilliant solution was to realise any site that broken
should just be skipped. We have a report that Mr. Wirchenko seems to
have skipped off saying that anyone could do that and that it really
is not worth a medal."

Actually, the site works fine with NoScript doing its work for
me. You do not need the ad in order to use the site.

Sincerely,

Gene "Go for the Gold!" Wirchenko
I award you Ed's special runner-up prize for "avoiding hero status by
choosing the easy route".

Ed "freedom of speech is essential to western democracies and one little
complaint against Islam doesn't imply a western Jihad" Cryer.
 
G

Gene Wirchenko

[snip]
I award you Ed's special runner-up prize for "avoiding hero status by
choosing the easy route".
Hey, I did try allowing the ad to run and saw that it could not
be moved, so I moved (on).

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
 
E

Ed Cryer

Gene said:
[snip]
I award you Ed's special runner-up prize for "avoiding hero status by
choosing the easy route".
Hey, I did try allowing the ad to run and saw that it could not
be moved, so I moved (on).

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Oh, right. I'm sorry. I misunderstood your previous reply.
I therefore award you the croix de guerre for services rendered in enemy
territory.

Ed
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene Wirchenko

Gene said:
[snip]
I award you Ed's special runner-up prize for "avoiding hero status by
choosing the easy route".
Hey, I did try allowing the ad to run and saw that it could not
be moved, so I moved (on).
Oh, right. I'm sorry. I misunderstood your previous reply.
I therefore award you the croix de guerre for services rendered in enemy
territory.
Sadly, that is too close to the truth. I find some Websites to
be actively hostile. One of my peeves is sites that require
JavaScript to be enabled in order to process hyperlinks.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top