SOLVED saving mailboxes / folders in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Not being able to get an answer to this on other forums, permit me to throw out the question here. I'm trying to back up my folders / mailboxes in Outlook.

When I try to save or back up them there folders, I get this thrilling message -

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x80070021. The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file." (End quote)

I've shut down Outlook 2010 and tried again but to no avail. Maybe one or two or three can inform me how to back up my mail folders / or the whole of Outlook 2010.

I am using Windows Home Premium.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you know where the files are you can install and then, in Windows Explorer, use a product called Unlocker. You go to the file in Windows Explorer, right-click & choose Unlocker and it will tell you what applications have a lock on the file and offer to break the lock and move or copy the file.

Links to Unlocker can be found in our Freeware DB

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This did the trick. Unlike Eudora, Outlook does not show the mailbox folders in Windows Explorer, just a file. Even if someone has another suggestion on that, throw it this way.

I noticed when I went into Outlook to open an e-mail, I had to restart it - apparently it didn't like the fact of itself being unlocked. :-}

Reaction score
Before everyone stops coming in on this thread, does anyone know how and where we restore the saved pst file when putting it back on a new computer?

Reaction score
TrainableMan, you ought to change your name to FaithfulMan - I'll say this for you, you're dependable. Thank you for your good help. Much appreciated!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've actually seen Old Faithful and I suppose I like to blow off a little steam every now and then too, but I enjoy collecting miniature trains even more, so I'm going to stick with this nick :) Glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question