Run the initial setup again

Reaction score
Remember when you installed Windows 7, there was that one setup thing that asked you for the time, your username, and password?

Ok so my friend wanted me to upgrade his HP laptop to Windows 7, since he originally had the you-know-is-junk version of windows (Vista).

I was able to install all of the software, but what I want to know is if there's a way to run that configuration setup thing again.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Your post is a little confusing. Have you already installed Windows 7 on his laptop?

He can put in a new user name and password via the "User Accounts" section of the Control Panel.

Do you want to re-install Windows 7 again on his notebook?

Try to be specific when posting so it's easier to get to the crux of the matter.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm confused too... if you let us know what you are trying to achieve as there may be a better way of doing it :).

If it's just the username/password, Nibs has highlighted how it can be done after install.

Welcome to the forums :ciao:.

Reaction score
Ok...let me explain it further

Well, since you guys don't have a clue about what I want to do again, i'll explain it further.

I want to run that "Set Up Windows" wizard that you run right after you finish installing Windows again.

Here, take a look at this picture:

That thing is what I'm talking about. How do I run this setup wizard after I install windows?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well, since you guys don't have a clue about what I want to do again, i'll explain it further.
Sir, be nice now, we're just trying to help you out here, not vilify you. You should have been more succinct and descriptive in the first post is all. Now see... that wasn't hard now was it?

My question is, why do want to do this again? What is the purpose of your wanting to do this?

I believe what your wanting to do is available through the Control Panel - User Accounts section.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Communication is a 2-part process. The receiver needs to understand what is said, but the sender needs to send a coherent message too. If no one has a clue what the sender is trying to communicate, pretty hard to blame the receivers.

Your problem appears to be (if I understand you correctly) that you did not install Windows 7 correctly. It appears you "upgraded", instead of "installed" fresh. So, as an upgrade, it took what it found and ran from there.

If you want that prompt, do a fresh install (format and install - not upgrade). Of course, back up any data you don't want to lose.

Reaction score
Sir, be nice now, we're just trying to help you out here, not vilify you. You should have been more succinct and descriptive in the first post is all. Now see... that wasn't hard now was it?

My question is, why do want to do this again? What is the purpose of your wanting to do this?

I believe what your wanting to do is available through the Control Panel - User Accounts section.
Well it's not really a problem; it's more of like a want. I did a custom installation, but I wanted it to seem like an OEM repair person did something to the computer. You know...when you buy a new computer it shows it the first time you start it up. I wanted it to seem like the OEM did it, that's all.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Okay, now I see what is you're wanting. Bells and whistles is all that is. Even when a user buys the OEM version of Windows 7, that window only shows up after install and then prior to first view of the desktop.

OEM computer makers like Dell, HP, etc., have their installs setup so that appears when the purchaser powers up the first time.

Ask a Question