Router configuration help needed

Reaction score
I am expecting my Netgear RangeMax V1 WNDR3700 to arrive tomorrow. This is my first router and need heelp with setting it up. It;s only going to be hooked up to my desktop pc running Windows 7 Professional. Later I plan on purchasing a new 21" - 24" hdtv, Plaster Networks Powerline Starter Kit,Plaster Networks IX2 and a X-Box 360 to stream WMC to the hdtv. Any help on setting this router is appreciated, as I'm a newbie to routers.
System Specs. ECS A790GXM-A V1.0 mb
Phenom 2 965 BE 125 TDP cpu
Zalman CNPS 9900ALED Heatsink
Corsair TX750W psu
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 8 gbs. ram
2 WD Caviar Black 1 tb hard drives ( 1 OS & Programs 2 Personal Data)
XFX Radeon HD5770 video
Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 tv tuner
2 Samsung SH223-C dvd-rw's
APC BackUPS E750G
22' Viewsonic LED montor

Reaction score
Not sure

I'm not sure this is my first router. I don't really know much about them. I do know that I won't be purchasing a notebook or a smart phone. Maybe a netbook, but that's on the back burner. I'm going to get the hdtv in January, the pwerline kit in February and the X-Box 360 in March. I'm basically just going to be streaming Windows Media Center to the X-Box 360 to watch on the hdtv at the other side of the house. I want to make sure nobody unwanted can get onto my network. It's basically for me, nobody else. I know that routers are a hardware firewall, but I really don't know much about configuring them.
Well, the question is, how do you want it to be configured?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, then what you'll want is a mac adress filter so that only you can connect. Of course a wifi network. Maybe setting some fixed ips would be a good idea.

Reaction score
How do I find both of these ?

How do I found both of these ? I don't have the router yet. According to UPS tracking I'll have it sometime this afternnon. UPS' delivery in my house development is flaky at best. One day they arrive at 10:30 A.M. , then 2:30 P.M. and then 4:15 P.M. It's not like other area's I've lived where the time difference was maybe 10 - 15 minutes.
Well, then what you'll want is a mac adress filter so that only you can connect. Of course a wifi network. Maybe setting some fixed ips would be a good idea.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
http://documentation.netgear.com/wndr3700/enu/202-10434-01/usermanual.pdf

There is the manual, You should read it first.
Do you have a wireless card for your PC? Otherwise why do you want wireless - just for the X-box?

Basically you physically attach it via network cable to your PC and program it physically connected. If you then want to put a wireless adapter into your PC you would disconnect the physical connection. You would set up WPA2-PSK (see manual p2-11). If you then go so far as to include MAC addresses then you will need the address for your X-Box (see manual p3-2). Eventually you will likely want to disable broadcasting as well but make sure you are working fine a few days first (p4-7,8)

Also note that most routers come with phone support; call them and they can walk you through it (after you wait on hold about an hour).

Reaction score
I plan on reading the manual

I plan on reading the manual. I'm just looking for any suggestions that the user manual doesn't cover. As far as wireless everything is going to be wired. When I get the hdtv and X-Box 360, they're both going to be in the same room on the other end of the house. My pc's on the opposite end about 60 - 70 feet away with a microwave oven 1 room before TV and X-Box 360. That's why I'm going the powerline route with the filter. I'm planning ahead as a cheap netbook is in the future 6 or 7 months from now. That'll be the only wireless device.
http://documentation.netgear.com/wndr3700/enu/202-10434-01/usermanual.pdf

There is the manual, You should read it first.
Do you have a wireless card for your PC? Otherwise why do you want wireless - just for the X-box?

Basically you physically attach it via network cable to your PC and program it physically connected. If you then want to put a wireless adapter into your PC you would disconnect the physical connection. You would set up WPA2-PSK (see manual p2-11). If you then go so far as to include MAC addresses then you will need the address for your X-Box (see manual p3-2). Eventually you will likely want to disable broadcasting as well but make sure you are working fine a few days first (p4-7,8)

Also note that most routers come with phone support; call them and they can walk you through it (after you wait on hold about an hour).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you aren't going wireless you disable wireless completely; you won't need to set up encryption or mac addresses or anything else.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok

OK. Thanks TrainableMan. If I disable the wireless will that disable the router's firewall ?
If you aren't going wireless you disable wireless completely; you won't need to set up encryption or mac addresses or anything else.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No.

FC mentioned fixed IPs; even wired you may want to set it up static IPs but get it working first then read up on static IPs and determine if it is something you need.

Reaction score
I'll do that

I'll follow all yours and Fire Cat's instructions.
No.

FC mentioned fixed IPs; even wired you may want to set it up static IPs but get it working first then read up on static IPs and determine if it is something you need.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah - static ips are a must. My ****** router resets al the ips each time it's started. How many times did I have to reset the printers :(

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is a bit of a dark area for me, but I have dynamic IPs and three printers. So far no problems, but fingers always crossed. But it does bring back the old chestnut of increased security risks.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the only reason I set up a static IP is to make it easier for Bittorrent to pass through the firewall. If you don't use P2P or, apparently, have networked peripherals then it isn't a necessity.

FC, why don't you fix your router settings? How many printers do you use?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I agree with TM on the resetting the router FC. It should not be resetting every time it's restarted.

My main question is; why are you restarting the router all the time? Leave it on 24/7 and it works much better that way.

Reaction score
Got the Router. Nothing but headaches

I recieved the Netgear WNDR3700 at 1:55 P.M. I've had nothing but headaches since :2:30 after reading all the documentation and following Netgear'ssetup instructions. It refuses to setup. All it's light's work. I have AT&T (so-called FastDSL). The modem I have from them is a 2_Wire Gateway 2701HG-B. I'spent an 1 1/2 with AT&T's tech support only to find out there tech support system is having issue's. I tried contacting Netgear's support by phonem but I'll be da***d if I'm paying for there tech support the first day I have a device from them. I then emailed them at about 6:15 P.M. about the issue only to recieve 2 automated emails saying, "We'll get back to you as soon as possible. I think the AT&T modem is keeping the router from connecting, but AT&T 's support suck's at best and that's about as nice as I can word it. Last month my DSL modem stopped working. They're tech support said a replacement would cost me $12.80 with free shipping. Funny thing (not really is) the modem cost me $60.0 and shipping $19.95 for a 2 lb. item. Anyway any help getting this router setup is definitely appreciated. My system currently just has the 2-Wire modem connected.
Well the only reason I set up a static IP is to make it easier for Bittorrent to pass through the firewall. If you don't use P2P or, apparently, have networked peripherals then it isn't a necessity.

FC, why don't you fix your router settings? How many printers do you use?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK this router won't actually replace the AT&T cable modem; you aren't trying to do that are you? This will set between their modem and your computer. Now their modem may have a router built into it as well in which case it MAY be programmed to use the same IP address to configure it as the new router. If so, the first thing you would have to do to your new router is to change the IP address for it's configuration. Please note I don't know if this is what needs done, I'm only saying that is what was wrong with my brother's Belkin when I first hooked it up.

And I don't know about Netgear but I know Linksys & Belkin have excellent free support, at least here in the USA.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I found when I bought my first router, I had to copy my computers MAC address to the Routers for it to work. The reason for this was when I first had internet, I only had 1 computer and the ISP's modem plugged directly into it. They then set up their modem to look for my computer MAC address to then allow connection to the net.

The router, of course, had a different MAC address then my computer, so the ISP's modem wouldn't allow it. My Router had a button to copy my computers MAC and I assume most have this ability.

I would also say, set up the password on the router ASAP, they all seemed to be programmed with something inane like the word Administrator for the user name and password. :p

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes it is possible your cable modem has router settings that may need changed to allow access, in fact mine was password protected and I had to call them to get access to it so I could set up my static IP. For it to be locked down to a mac address I would suspect they physically came and installed draceena's (mine came in the mail and has no such security). If that is the case then you may need your ISPs help to access their cable modem.

Reaction score
No 2-Wire is hooked up first

I'm not trying to replace anything. The AT&T is hooked from phone line to ups to AT&T 2-Wire modem, then from modem to top port on Netgear router as there instructions state.The part coming from wall phoneline to router is a line filter hooked up to input of my APC UPS, Then the APC UPS output is hooked to AT&T's 2_Wire modem, then the first DSL line from modem that normally goes to pc, is hooked to the Netgear Router and the first 2.4 ghz. port from router is hooked to pc. The router setup program can't get past selecting my Realtek 10/100/100 port my pc has 2 on the motherboard. I've tried both with the setup program and it doesn't help My Realtek 10/100/1000 drivers are updated. The only way I get any internet is to completely unhook Netgear router and hook AT&T 2-Wire modem dirctly to computer, instead of router.
OK this router won't actually replace the AT&T cable modem; you aren't trying to do that are you? This will set between their modem and your computer. Now their modem may have a router built into it as well in which case it MAY be programmed to use the same IP address to configure it as the new router. If so, the first thing you would have to do to your new router is to change the IP address for it's configuration. Please note I don't know if this is what needs done, I'm only saying that is what was wrong with my brother's Belkin when I first hooked it up.

And I don't know about Netgear but I know Linksys & Belkin have excellent free support, at least here in the USA.

Ask a Question