Router configuration help needed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
See the page that says "Inactive ... WNDR3700". Rather than K's PC, you likely need to edit the firewall settings and device detail for WNDR3700.

Also, if your AT&T cable modem is NOT password secured then I would suggest you set one immediately. The attachment has a lot of personal info. If your cable modem is not password secured I believe they can walk right in and make changes to it. With your IP address they can subject you to DOS (denial of service) attacks and with your email they can spam you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to call AT&T support

I'll have to call AT7T support. My modems from them have all come by mail.
See the page that says "Inactive ... WNDR3700". Rather than K**th's PC, you likely need to edit the firewall settings and device detail for WNDR3700.

Also, if your AT&T cable modem is NOT password secured then I would suggest you set one immediately. The whole world now knows K**th's IP near Mel*****e, FL and your email which is also your bellsouth username. If your cable modem is not password secured I believe they can walk right in and make changes to it. With your IP address they can subject you to DOS (denial of service) attacks and with your email they can spam you. When this is all done I would suggest removing that attachment from your last post.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with TM on the resetting the router FC. It should not be resetting every time it's restarted.

My main question is; why are you restarting the router all the time? Leave it on 24/7 and it works much better that way.

I do networking. And I often make changes to my router. I'm just too lazy to assign each printer an ip.
I have 4. As well as that, 7 comps and 5 mobile devices that use wifi.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'll have to call AT7T support. My modems from them have all come by mail.
Well coming by mail I just doubt it has mac address protection (doubt but that's not anywhere close to sure as they could have asked you the information to program the router or they could have logged into it remotely) but either way you can see that it detected WNDR3700 because it is in the list, though currently inactive. So I think it's critical that you edit the settings to ALLOW it access. And as I said, if it doesn't ask you for a password to log in to the cable modem then I think you should set one to prevent remote changes.

Also, I edited my post to remove your personal info (name, city, ISP) but it is still in your "quote" of my post so you might want to edit it out from your reply as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I haven't reset the router

I haven't reset the router. The lights on it all work, but it won't connect to the internet through the Netgear cd-rom setup program that came with it. It also, won't connect to Netgear's 3 different online setup websites. The only way I get internet is to unhook all ther routers wires and rehook my AT&T 2-Wire modem back up directly. Sad part of the story is AT&T's support really sucks. That's about the nicest way I can put that. Before they bought out Bellsouth my service and support was fine. AT&T my speeds have decreased. If I get 60 - 61 kbps. I'm lucky. With Bellsouth I could download a 90 mb. file in 10 - 12 minutes. It took me an 1 1/2 to download the latest Realtek HD drivers Friday night at 10:00 P.M.my downlod speed for that was slower than what I had when I used Netzero or PeoplePC dialup in 2005 on my Win XP P4 computer. I have Firefox and IE8 tweaked for speedThe problem is I can't use BrightHouse for service, because the account's in my roomate's name.a
I do networking. And I often make changes to my router. I'm just too lazy to assign each printer an ip.
I have 4. As well as that, 7 comps and 5 mobile devices that use wifi.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The signal is not getting to your Netgear - the AT&T is not allowing it - as I said you must configure the AT&T settings first to allow another device access. To the cable modem that box is another computer.

In the cable modem info you had posted it said "Inactive WNDR3700", so it saw it, it just blocked it's communication. You need to log into the cable modem and edit the security settings. Frankly I think your ISPs tech support should help you do that. That should likely be done before you even hook up the router again as I think you will have trouble reaching the cable modem once the router is between.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It took me an 1 1/2 to download the latest Realtek HD drivers Friday night at 10:00 P.M.my downlod speed for that was slower than what I had when I used Netzero or PeoplePC dialup in 2005 on my Win XP P4 computer.
Realtek has three ftp sites to download from on the drivers page. Sometimes you get a fast connection, sometimes one that is excruciatingly slow. I have 30-32 Mbps download speeds and I have had some Realtek HD audio drivers take over 45 minutes sometimes. It's Realtek's servers not your DL speed on this issue.

Have you updated the router to the latest firmware available for it?

Don't use those useless CD setup discs, most of the time they're as useless as teats on a boar hog.

Are you able to get to the main router menu using the web address of: 192.168.1.1 ?

Default user name and password should be: admin and admin

Reaction score
Which setting on AT&T Modem ?

The Netgear I manually added. Still couldn't get access to internet, so I completely unhooked it and unplugged it's power cord while pc was off and rehooked up AT&T modem how it was to begin with.[I tried AT&T support for the last 3 evenings and they keep telling me to call the next day, because somrthing is wrong with there Tech Support pc's. Each time I deal with there support it's 1 1/2 hours of wasted time at the minimum, plus seriously high blood sugars from dealing with them as I'm a disabled Type 1 Diabetic and there non-helpfulness stresses me out and raises my blood sugar.QUOTE=TrainableMan;64541]The signal is not getting to your Netgear - the AT&T is not allowing it - as I said you must configure the AT&T settings first to allow another device access. To the cable modem that box is another computer.

In the cable modem info you had posted it said "Inactive WNDR3700", so it saw it, it just blocked it's communication. You need to log into the cable modem and edit the security settings. Frankly I think your ISPs tech support should help you do that. That should likely be done before you even hook up the router again as I think you will have trouble reaching the cable modem once the router is between.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
SOLVED. A AT&T support supervisor finally helped me fix the router issue an hour ago. Thanks for everybodies help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
SOLVED. A AT&T support supervisor finally helped me fix the router issue an hour ago. Thanks for everybodies help.
What was the fix? Let us know so if anyone else has the same problem we can get them to view this thread.

Thanks and Glad it finally is working for you! :)

Reaction score
The fix was...

The fix was A. If you use DSL- Don't user cd-rom stup, instead go to routers online setup page. 2. Under setup or settings select No for needing a Username or Password. It's automatically set to yes. I tried changing that setting while I was on hold for 10 minutes waiting for AT&T's Tech Support Supervisor and wala I had a working connected router. The only thing I didn't see on Netgears setup page was how to change the default username an got the firewall and everything else setup. Now I just have to email Netgear's support back to solve the chaning og username and password settings.
What was the fix? Let us know so if anyone else has the same problem we can get them to view this thread.

Thanks and Glad it finally is working for you! :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question