SOLVED Restrictions - Firewall

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

I am having problems changing the restrictions in the Firewall.

When I open the Firewall status it says

Incoming Connections - Block all connections that are not on the allowed list of programs.

Typical Microsoft Outlook – cannot click links in email

“This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact system administrator”

I changed the Firewall to allow Outlook but when I check the Firewall all programs have been blocked.

I go to Windows Firewall -> Allow programs to communicate through the firewall, and make changes and they do not work. I have restarted the computer and they still don’t work.

Can you help?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

Bill Z

Reaction score
Hi billzant - Welcome to w7forums

Just to clarify
Do the Outlook links work when your firewall is disabled?

One thing you might try is temporarily turn off UAC while making these changes if you haven't already done so. Personally I turn off UAC and keep it that way.

The next thing would be to turn off any Anti-Virus or Security applications while making changes to your system.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Bill

Try Windows 7 Firewall Control (freeware Version) its easy to use and has all the options you need, read about and download > Here

Reaction score
Dear Clifford and Veedaz,

The firewall settings don't appear to make any difference to my problem. I cannot click the links with no firewall on, UAC on never notify with Windows 7 Firewall control saying enable all for Microsoft Outlook and "Allow programs to communicate through firewall" Microsoft outlook ticked for public and private.

I have another connected problem Replay Media Catcher cannot update plug-ins yet ftp works avast anti-virus works. Microsoft word is blocked, and Windows 7 firewall control does not come up.

Are the restrictions elsewhere?

All the Best,

Bill Z

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

The restriction was caused by internet explorer.

I did not run internet explorer to begin with and immediately installed Opera. After messing around with program defaults and uninstalling Opera I have got links to open in IE. I don't like this but it works.

This link helped:-

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm

I got it working in IE and then tried to install Opera and got the restrictions problem again. Could this be Microsoft messing around? Have had to uninstall Opera again and use IE.

Anyway thanks for your help.

All the Best,
Bill Z

Ask a Question