Restore Point for One User Account?

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to create a restore point, and restore, a single user account, instead of the whole computer. The reason I ask is that I have a shared computer, and want to be able to restore my account to exactly as it is now, without affecting everyone else's accounts.
Is this possible? I do not mind using third party software, as long as it is free!

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Reaction score
Restore points

Hello~

As far as I'm aware.. Restore points are for the ENTIRE computer.. and are NOT user specific..

Hence the term "System Restore Point"

Which can be a good thing or a bad thing.. As have seen it happen where a virus or malware infects the restore points. which would totally "lock" a computer.

If there is a way to restore just ONE user .. I haven't seen it .. or experienced it ..

Just my thoughts.
~LoneWolf

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Restore points are backing up the system components, not individual users data so what it restores is global, affecting all users, things like the registry and rolling back windows updates, etc.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Right, this is why System Restore will NOT restore document files to their previous state.

About all you can do is backup your files. Then if one of the other users destroys the computer, you can restore your files to another computer.

If you are on a corporate network, your network admin may be able to copy your user data - depending on how the network and user accounts are setup. This is often done in big companies as employees are shuffled about from project to project.

Ask a Question