SOLVED Restore missing "Compressed (zipped) Folder" option to the Send To menu

Reaction score
When a user right clicks the menu has a Send To option that should include Compressed (zipped) Folder. It is missing on the new Windows 7 PCs we recently rolled out. The only solution I'm finding is to type the following in Run & click OK: rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto
When I do that, however, I get the following error: "Error in zipfldr.dll Missing entry: RegisterSendto"
The only other option I see is to download something and intall it. I'm hesitant to do that.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Reaction score
It's there, but hidden

It's there , but it's hidden. Hit Shift key as you right-click on the file or folder. Scroll down to Send To and it will be at the very top.
When a user right clicks the menu has a Send To option that should include Compressed (zipped) Folder. It is missing on the new Windows 7 PCs we recently rolled out. The only solution I'm finding is to type the following in Run & click OK: rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto
When I do that, however, I get the following error: "Error in zipfldr.dll Missing entry: RegisterSendto"
The only other option I see is to download something and intall it. I'm hesitant to do that.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
From what I can gather the "rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto" doesn't work in Seven.
The easiest way is to replace it is to navigate to the SendTo folder at:

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

and drop a replacement zipped folder in which you can get from here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's there , but it's hidden. Hit Shift key as you right-click on the file or folder. Scroll down to Send To and it will be at the very top.
@ brkkab123 - something must be missing from my image. when i shift+right click the Send To menu shows DVD RW drive at the top, followed by network drives, contacts, desktop, downloads, favorites, links, my documents, my music, my pictures, my videos, saved games, searches
not sure why i'm not seeing it....

Reaction score
i see the Compressed (zipped) folder under this path: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
it just doesn't show up in the menu, which the same as not being there for my users

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is the Compressed (zipped) folder has hidden properties.
If not....... :dontknow:

Reaction score
got it!!

Thanks to you both! I didn't even think of that... when i read Elmer BeFuddled's post, "it must have properties" i went to it, right-clicked and sure enough the dumb Hidden File box is checked. Who that that was a good idea. 'i know, let's build in a feature that everyone is used to using, then let's hide it' ggrrrrrrr!!!!

btw brkkab123 - when i unhide it i don't have to hold down the shift key.

another problem solved. more happy users. thanks again to both of you!!

ClarkComputer

Ask a Question