Resolution problem

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I have a Samsung 22" monitor, 2 computers connected with a KVM switch, both computers are set up about the same, one has Win 7 Pro and the other one Ult. No problem at all with the one the resolution stays the same, the Icons are always where I leave them, etc. The resolution is set at 1680 X 1050 that is what is recommended.

Now on the other computer every time it is shut down and started up the Icons are moved and the resolution is wrong, and the monitor puts out this little box saying it needs the resolution to be set at 1680X 1050. So I click on Control Panel, and in the little boxes it says my monitor is a generic, and the wrong resolution, so I click on adjust resolution, and click on detect, and it brings up my Samsung monitor, with the correct resolution, and I have the choice of ok, cancel, and apply is grayed out. So I click on my only choice of ok. Now I have to do this every time I shut it off and turn it back on, like over night.

Question is why is the apply grayed out. As far as I can tell it has all the latest and greatest drivers, for the Video card, and Monitor. The Monitor is a Samsung 226BW.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
What type of computers are they that are hooked up to the one monitor? Are they both identical? Is one a desktop and one a laptop?

If both computers are different...ie laptop and desktop, the one PC that has the greater recommend resolution will be the dominate one by default, which would explain most if not all of your issue. Or the KVM switch is having a hard time deciding which one is the main computer and causing the problem.

Just for my own sake and curiousty; why would you have two PC's hooked up to one monitor?

Reaction score
Resolution

Hi Fisher.

Both computers are desktops, and they are pretty much the same.

I use my main computer for the everyday things, e-mailing, etc. And the one I am having problems with the resolution, for experimenting, trying new programs, etc. I had 2 computers and one Monitor, and I did not have 2 monitors and one computer, so this is the way I use it.

Thanx....Gunny

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It may have to do with the differences in the video cards. Do you have the Samsung monitor driver installed on both computers?

What are the video cards and what type of connection are you using? DVI or VGA?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
KVMs don't always allow proper communication. I would try it without the KVM and see if works properly when connected normally. If it works fine then, you know it is not the monitor or the computer and you might consider a better KVM.

Reaction score
Resolution

Hi

Ok to catch up on your questions.

I have the current drivers for the Samsung on both computers.

I have tried the running it with out the KVM switch same results.

I have tried both DVI and VGA, same results.

I realize that the grayed out "apply" would be grayed out unless a change was made, so if it changes from a Generic to the Samsung isn't that a change.? This is what is really stumping me about this. Not saying if apply was not grayed out and I could click on it that this would solve the problem, but chances are that it would.

Thanx....Gunny

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Monitors don't have drivers - not in the normal sense. Graphics cards (or on-board), they have the drivers. Otherwise, communicating with a monitor is fairly generic.

When you install a monitor driver in Windows, all you really are doing is telling Windows the brand and model number, and what resolutions it does NOT support, so those are not offered.

If you have tried one monitor at a time, using the exact same settings and without the KVM, and one monitor works and the other does not, I would say that 2nd monitor is faulty.

Reaction score
Hi Digerati

I think you are misreading this, you are talking like I have 2 monitors, other way around I have 1 monitor and 2 computers.

Thanx....Gunny

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have 1 monitor and 2 computers.
I knew that - then forgot! But still, if the single monitor works as expected when direct connected to both computers, but not when through one side of the KVM, that points to the KVM. The fact it is the same monitor (assuming you have tried both KVM connections with both computers), that "suggests" the signal is being degraded through the switch or cables, and the "bad" monitor is less sensitive than normal (or maybe the good is a bit more sensitive than normal).

You might try swapping computer graphics cards (if cards) - to see if the problem moves. Or try different cables. But again, if the monitor works with both computers direct connected, then not sure it could be anything but the KVM or cables.

In reading back - this does not explain icons moving - unless it is due to the resolution changing and auto arrange is on.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have tried the running it with out the KVM switch same results.

I have tried both DVI and VGA, same results.
Digerati, think you may have missed his answer above.

Gunny, have you ever had a different monitor attached to the one that acts up? I suggest you right-click on an open space in the desktop, choose Screen Resolution, and verify that Display #1 does in fact match your current monitor & has the proper resolution. When this computer looses the monitor, if the resolution reverts to something lower such as 800x600 it would automatically move the icons and when the monitor is restored and the resolution resets larger, the icons would stay at the lower res organization.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resolution

Hi trainableman

I can't remember if I have had a diff Monitor connected to this computer or not, I probably have at one time or another.

Now if I click on an open space on my desktop before I go into the Control Panel and do the changes I will get the Generic for the Monitor, but after I do the change to the resolution and detect the right Monitor when I click on the desktop I will get the right Monitor and resolution..

I hope this is making sense. And sorry for being so slow in getting back to the forum, have been very busy. I keep saying this but I still don't understand why it will not give me the choice of "apply".to when I have the right Monitor and resolution set. It is grayed out.

Thanx....Gunny

Reaction score
Hi Trainman

Come to think of it, if I have had a diff Monitor connected to the computer that is giving me the problem it would have been one that requires the same resolution 1680 X 1050. All the Monitors I have require this and are the same 22" size. So I am saying it would be like 99% sure ever since I have had this computer it has had the same Monitor, but the video card has been changed a couple of times. And I always put in the most recent drivers for it and have it set to the correct resolution too, 1680 X 1050

Thanx.....Gunny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the reason I brought it up is because you want to make sure monitor #1 is the monitor you normally use, not a projector or some other.

You might look over this article from Microsoft and maybe try the Mr Fix-it app. I suspect, if it is not what monitor is set as default, that it is the video card & driver.

The other possibility is something odd with the EDID reported from the monitor. But since it works fine on one computer and not the other I doubt this is the issue but you could rule it out entirely by trying a different brand monitor.

Last edited:
Reaction score
resolution

Hi Train

If you have a Video card installed and are not using the on board video. do you have to disable the on board in the Bios.? This might be a stupid question but I am asking it any way.

The reason I am thinking this is because of the apply being grayed out.

I am just scratching my head trying to think of all the possibilities that could affect this.

Thanx....Gunny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Installing a video card should automatically disable on-board video.

Reaction score
Hi Train

That is always what I have read too, but what if it didn't, ha ha ha I don't remember seeing anything in the Bios that gave you the choice of disabling it.

Oh well just an idea......:).

Thanx....Gunny

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm curious though, if you go to Control Panel\Display Adapters is there anything listed there besides the new card? Because if the onboard was somehow still there I suppose it could be causing the resolution change when signal is lost to the new card.

Reaction score
resolution

Hi Train

Ya I checked and the only thing listed is the Video card, and the monitor is listed as the Samsung.

Thanx....Gunny.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know what else to suggest. Hopefully someone else comes along with a thought. And if you find a solution please post back.

Reaction score
Hi Train

I will do that for sure, I always try to help out people in any way I can.

I appreciate your help and time. I think to 99% of us this is a learning process, and how best to do this is to share.

Thanx....Gunny

Ask a Question