Repeated Stalls

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 Home Premium (64) yesterday. My computer worked very well with XP and Vista and is rated between 5.2 and 6.9 in the Performance ans Information Tools. But my system seems very bi-polar. It goes from working fantastic to having huge stall sessions. Where opening/closing anything from notepad to firefox to my documents causes the programs to seize up. Freezes are not short and then back to normal. These freezes last anywhere from 2-20 minutes.

No amount of restarts, software install/uninstalls, works. I have ended all necessary processes and done several virus scans. I have not put any of my documents/music/photos onto this machine yet.

I am out of any good ideas. Nothing seems to be malfunctioning and there are periods (like at this very moment, but wait 5 minutes and it will change) where it's working perfectly.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
My first thought is turn off all Windows Visual Display Effects.
Set Visual Display to PERFORMANCE in other words.

Please post back to let us know what this did.:)

Please post your system specs as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Per a few other posts I found online I did turn off my personalization and set my screen to Windows Basic, and turned off transparency. I also found another post that suggested I turn the power setting to High Performance. Neither has seemed to effect this.

Did you mean that or something else?

Reaction score
Specs (best of my knowledge):

Windows 7 Home Premium (64)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core Duo E8400 3g processor
4 gigs RAM (Gskill i think)
GeForce 9800 GTX video
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 - 160 gigs (109gb free)
** I had a pair in a raid0 until about a month ago, when one died. :(

Hard drive is by far the oldest part. All the rest was purchased around Xmas last year.

Anything else?

Reaction score
Search for Performance Click on Adjust the appearance & performance of Windows Click Adjust for best performance Click OK

Just read your specs, the above should NOT apply to you.

Also under Power Options (control panel) Click Change what power buttons do, set both to Do nothing

Finally there is a driver for Nvidia that you need, I will see if I can find the link.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hmm I just used this link a few days ago, read the post below this one Desktop Manager Degraded.

Reaction score
probably the same one. I will download and restart, cause it can't hurt. Update shortly...

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
SIt could be the index system initialising I have not yetr heard of such an extreme case as yours. but it is possible.If the problem has gone after your reinstall, then no worries. The search index is a feature which puts the entire contents of your computer into a Dbase. This enables you to type anything into you Start box, and it wiil find it immediately.It eventually settles down, but can cause small hiccups , when operating, long term. I have no use for it and have turmed off the service.

Reaction score
Well, it took this window 6 minutes to unfreeze... so I'm going to go with that did'n't work. :)

I am relatively noob at this stuff, but my friend seems to think it's windows, while I am leaning towards something hard drive.

Any more settings or new windows quirks anyone can think of?

Reaction score
A recent post W 7 Freezing reminded me of people having this problem when upgrading from Vista or Win 7 RC

I completely forgot that it happened on my system too, since it was quite awhile ago.

I finally formatted the C: drive and did a Full clean install.
What install options are available to you when run the Win 7 Upgrade?

Reaction score
A recent post W 7 Freezing reminded me of people having this problem when upgrading from Vista or Win 7 RC

I completely forgot that it happened on my system too, since it was quite awhile ago.

I finally formatted the C: drive and did a Full clean install.
What install options are available to you when run the Win 7 Upgrade?
Hi,

The option for those running Vista, is to do a simple upgrade, which is what I did. I ran the upgrade advisor and there were no issues with existing software, but, I did have to get the latest Epson scanner driver. All else was good. Since writing about this issue, I may have found that the IE8 which gave me problems in Vista, may be causing it. I'm using Firefox to see if the problem goes away.
Thanks for responding!

Reaction score
Well, I had a hard drive fail, so I this is actually a full reformat and fresh install of a full version (no upgrades) of windows 7. So upgrade issues wouldn't likely apply.

Ask a Question