Remove glow from taskbar

Reaction score
Good job Lakecityransom. I use the always combine, no text option, so don't quote me on this, but I think the likes of 1015, 1016, 1017 would come into play when you've got more windows open than the taskbar can cope with full sized buttons.

The thing with Windows 7 (as opposed to XP) is that there are that many display options, it can be a bit hit and miss (to start with) as to which image does what! Then of course, like you, I tend to only do the images that will affect what I want to change. The rest come later, maybe.

Just for interest, what did you edit the images with?

Also, can you stick the .msstyles file in a zip and attach it for me.
Oh silly me, I threw that image on multiupload instead of the msstyle HAHA good call. I've used the attach option and edited the previous post! Also I made 1 small change to the highlighted buttons, the upper left corner is a bit white as you can see in the previous pictures. There is still noticeable white lineage on the borders, but it isn't too bad.

What I did notice upon close inspection is that there is a [=, =, =] button border style on those other three images. So who knows...

I used Photoshop CS5 to edit. I had difficulties working with opacity, the eyedropper does not pick it up. You have to use the info window to find it with a non-default setting. See http://www.ronwatters.com/PSOpaque.html for details.

In the end I had to darken the whole border (white lines show heavily without that glow streak) and change the whole inside fills of the 4th/5th/6th buttons. What kept happening was if I set opacity too high it was almost black, if I set it too low I got that cyan/yellow/blue hue. A lower or higher RGB (all same value for grey) and a moderate opacity did the trick in the end.

The show desktop button still has a glow. A minor problem, not too concerned about it. About those stripes, I've edited both of those registry values but it keeps resetting. Windows 7 just hates my guts I guess.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I've noticed when editing other images (the moving progress bar) the colour "fringing" but never quite worked it down to the opacity level setting, although I was aware of using the info window. So a big THANKS for that one!!

I know what you mean about "Windows 7 just hates my guts I guess", That reg entry sticks for me unless I change theme, then once I've restarted Explorer it kicks back in again. However, I've used the standard mod to change the Welcome Screen text but it still says "Welcome"!!

In the Streams image play with the top part to adjust the stripes (if you notice, when you move a window, the window moves (!??!), the stripes are static):

For the "Show Desktop" button, far right, have a look at the 1107.png (in my standard Aero.msstyle file)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused, my image seems to be different. First I tried edited IMAGE>900.png but it had no apparent effect. Then I edited the white stuff out of STREAM>971.png:

This resulted in clear frames when hovering show desktop as I expected. The two glows on the left were for the top left and right of each frame. Anyhow, the taskbar stripes remain:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6961/taskbarstripes.jpg

Nice tip on the show desktop button. I'll have a go at fixing it and reuploading. If I get the stripes out of taskbar I'll include that as well in the theme.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
About those stripes, I've edited both of those registry values but it keeps resetting. Windows 7 just hates my guts I guess.
Any time you edit or change themes it would reset but if you get those set exactly where you want them and then set the reg value I wouldn't expect it to change.

But I'm sure it's possible if some program is running in the background and cleaning things up as it wants. I am struggling with a similar issue where my start menus automatically sort alphabetical even though I turned off that setting. Sometimes it will stay where I move it for a couple days and other times it reverts back within 30 minutes, it always reverts if I logoff but most of the time it occurs even when I have not shut down in days.

That reg entry sticks for me unless I change theme, then once I've restarted Explorer it kicks back in again.
You mention it reverts when you start Explorer - do you mean Windows Explorer? I wasn't sure but I too was wondering if that is what is reverting my start menu order. It seems Windows Explorer may not have just been made uglier in W7, they also made it mean, resetting things it has no business meddling with. I will have to test this further.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
You mention it reverts when you start Explorer - do you mean Windows Explorer?
Yeah, sorry, should've specified. I mean Windows Explorer.
I see, I can get the streak removal done by killing and restarting explorer, but logoff or theme change reverts back for me. Edit: There is a theme out there that fixed this: http://garbanzox.deviantart.com/art/AeroPlain-for-Windows-7-125999931
Good find!! In PS the STREAM image stripes and corners are showing as 0% opacity. Don't know if they're totally blank though! I'm going to contact him, hopefully.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay suddenly the registry change seems to have stuck since I edited the registry and then immediately killed and restarted explorer. I have changed theme, logged off, and restarted the computer and it is still no where to be found.

It seems like image 900.png stretched out would be what causes it, but I have left that in its original state.

Reaction score
Well, might as well ask if you know where the window frame image is Elmer. The fade on windows when highlighting looks odd. There are so many tiny window brackets in the theme that I can't be sure at all. Other than this I think I'm pretty content with the theme.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Well, might as well ask if you know where the window frame image is Elmer. The fade on windows when highlighting looks odd. There are so many tiny window brackets in the theme that I can't be sure at all. Other than this I think I'm pretty content with the theme.
Just back from my brief (?) hols sojourn so sorry for late response. I'll get back to you with image numbers once the Glenfiddich wears out and the caffeine wears in!! (I don't have a drink problem. I barely spill a drop these days!!)

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm having no joy with the sidebars at the moment. Have a look at 941.png and 942.png. The top half of the image is active, the bottom half inactive, left and right respectfully.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The discoloration difference on the right and left is actually where the bottom half overlaps the top half. If you resize your windows up and down you will notice this is where the bottom rolls over the top. So the only way this would ever match all the time is if the whole edge was a solid color. I'm not sure that is a blur effect or just the color shading scheme that ends up making it look as it does.

Reaction score
Just back from my brief (?) hols sojourn so sorry for late response. I'll get back to you with image numbers once the Glenfiddich wears out and the caffeine wears in!! (I don't have a drink problem. I barely spill a drop these days!!)
Hey again, no problem! I'm a little late back here too. This was really starting to bug me again so I remembered to check. I don't know what they were thinking when they did that to the windows. I guess its not so noticeable on lighter color scheme choice.

I'm not sure what you mean about them pictures above? I extracted the whole image folder and arranged by dimension and there isn't 11x6 images. Guess it could be like trainable man says? Some special blur that can't simply be painted over.

Oy, changing back and forth to the Aero theme after changing it is much slower now that my PC is full of crap.

Edit: I've brute forced by completely replacing everything in IMAGE with a solid color. The suspicion that it is not an image appears to be true. It is still not changed. It will change in color at least when you do window color and appearance... its somewhere else. Very disappointing, perhaps it can only be changed via registry? :confused:

TEST FILES: I have filled every image in the Aero theme folder with red while I was figuring this out. I have zipped them and organized them in folders like so:
*Bitmap (shellstyle.dll)
*RCData (shellstyle.dll.mui)
*IMAGE (aero.msstyles)
*STREAM (aero.msstyles)
...this can help someone brute force their way to finding what image causes something to happen:
http://www.multiupload.com/QXKZZ2D9DR

Edit2/3: Its just in the stream folder in that 971.png image. It was the very top left image of the white bar. I just deleted it so nothing is there and it worked. :) Edited stream png attached.

My updated Aero theme to put in X:\Windows\Resources\Themes
Also included 971.png alone in the .rar for interested people.
http://www.multiupload.com/UGA5CEPE9V

Note: You MUST run this to patch the Windows 7 files before this or any other custom theme works: http://www.windowsxlive.net/uxtheme-multi-patcher

Last edited:
Reaction score
Elmer have you dove into any theme modifications after Win7 SP1 update? It stops my theme from working. First thing I did was edit the new one, assuming it could have been changed by M$. Then, I tried the edited one I had saved.

If I edit it I get stuck with classic theme, its failing to initiate Aero. Really sucks after all that =/

Edit: Nevermind, you need to run the "universal theme patcher" to make it work, just like you have to in the first place. http://www.windowsxlive.net/uxtheme-multi-patcher

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello people!!

i'm doing a GOOD modification here... JUST the tabs buttons in the taskbar... I'LL post the .msstyle file for you....

but... I'm having a LAST issue!!!! i'm feeling it may be something stupid... simple..

I chaged the 1014, 1015, 1016, 1017, 1024, 1025, 1026, 1027 images... and now my tabs buttons are simple, with NO SHINNY GAY EFFECTS...

BUTTTTT, WHEN AN APPLICATION FLASHES(BLINK), to call your attention... NOTHING CHANGESSS!!!! ( like a new message in a CHAT application... )

I changed back to original Aero, and I noticed that a flashing/blinking tab is made with a combination of images ( I think... ), first it blinks with the HOVER image, yellow image... then it blinks with a combination: the normal shinny on top image, and a shinny line at the bottom...

=/

Reaction score
THERE YOU GO PEOPLE:

The Best Windows's 7 Taskbar Buttons of the UNIVERSE!

Like I said before: I've changed ONLY the Taskbar Buttons, to improve perception of your eyes, it's GREAT!
(when you are using your notebook outside, with Sunlight, it's a HUNDRED TIMES BETTER to see the selected button)

if you have any doubt, e-mail me: (e-mail address removed)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3v9ba9972lm0982/Better_'Taskbar_Buttons'_Aero_theme.rar

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Reaction score
right click on desktop and click personalize
than select any theme from the basic themes and click on it
the glow from taskbar will be gone

Reaction score
right click on desktop and click personalize
than select any theme from the basic themes and click on it
the glow from taskbar will be gone
In my Windows 7 Home Premium, the Basic themes SUCKs, 4 of them were made for BLIND people I think...

and the other 2, one is CLASSIC ( very good, but a WASTE if you have a good machine )
the other is Windows 7 Basic..., crap too...

I Posted My "aero.msstyles" READY to copy, and paste... EASY!!!
It's GREAT!!

If anyone is having problems in the copy/paste process I can help:
just e-mail me: wernerml @ gmail . com

Last edited by a moderator:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could be right. MS has even covered the eventuality of visually impaired users.
There are ceratinly interesting points of view in this thread.
SUCK they may, but, like my hardwood desktop, I prefer it to be clean (and boring). I seldom have an empty desktop. When I am using the computer, it tends to be completely covered with whatever programs I happen to be using. Result is I give it a very low priority.

boring.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't use the .msstyle file even though I have already patched the 3 files necessary to be patched using UXTHEME PATCHER. How do you install it on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1?

Ask a Question