Release Candidate: Should I install?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

With the new release candidate up for grabs (I'm slowly downloading it right now), I was wondering if I should make the transition. Hopefully, you guys can help me make an informed decision.

I've read around in blogs and magazines that this RC is a working, stable, with only minor bugs to fix version. That sounds good.

I never tried a OS in beta/RC status before. That's a con. Besides, it would be installed on my primary PC, running Vista currently.

I primarily use my PC for work: MS Office, internet and its many tools, a couple of Adobe programs (Premiere mostly), and gaming. My PC is also a Home Theater PC - I watch all of my films on the computer, mostly via Windows Media Center with a remote control.

Would you guys upgrade right now in my place?

Thank you very much,
Darkew.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi darkew, welcome to the site :ciao:

If you feel confident about fixing it should things go wrong, then it might be fun to try out as your primary OS. But don't forget that it is an RC and things can/will go wrong for some people.

Why not run it dual boot for a couple of weeks to see how it performs and then if all is well you can make the move from Vista > Windows 7. That way you get the best of both worlds and can make the jump if you feel it's worth it. That's what I would do anyway :)

Reaction score
I'd recommend leaving your upgrade until it is officially released
However saying that - I am running my small business in Windows 7 Build 7100 and have had no problems (well no problems that either I could not fix or have been supplied solutions here)

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge but I'd recommend backing up ALL important data first

Reaction score
My opinion is that if you're uncomfortable enough to ask you'd probably be well advised to wait. There can be glitches with drivers. My beta loaded onto the wrong hard drive once. Things happen.

Reaction score
I've been using the Windows 7 beta (or an interim release) full time on all of my PCs since late February. I've only had to restart due to errors twice, and I am on my computer a lot.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

I've considered installing it on a separate partition and see how it goes from there, just to check things out.

Most people that tried the betas are saying good things, so I think it's worth a shot. Besides, I'm really anxious to take a good look at the new OS, so...

I'll see if I can spare a 100GB partition and get it running. If everything goes well, I might as well upgrade the primary disk from Vista do 7.

Thanks again for your input, I hope this thread serves other people with the same doubts as myself :)

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Running the upgrade advisor before installing will hopefully alery to any potential conflicts you will need to prepare for brfore diving in. :)

Reaction score
Hey James!

Is there a Windows 7 specific upgrade advisor?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Faster download?

Oh, and also:
Is there, maybe, a faster download source than microsoft now that it's been out for a day?

Download from MS is really slow - I've got a rapidshare premium account, anybody would know any links?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Compared to vista Win7 is less riskier IMHO

If it runs on Vista then so far 95% of my programs have run and the other 5% run in compatible mode ( You click on the exe and then properties and tell it to run in XP or vista mode.)

Reaction score
Sounds great. How're we on sound board drivers? Older sound blaster models compatible?

I still can't find a fast source. It's downloading at 40k/s tops, really horrible, while my connection supports up to 1.5 MB/s...

Reaction score
Sounds great. How're we on sound board drivers? Older sound blaster models compatible?

I still can't find a fast source. It's downloading at 40k/s tops, really horrible, while my connection supports up to 1.5 MB/s...
Regarding the sound drivers, if you had Vista one's they should work, if you are lucky W7 may have them otherwise blame Creative for lack of support.
The download problem may not be entirely at MS end, if it's anything like the ISP's in Australia they took a 15% surge in traffic due to W7 downloads.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Writing this from Windows 7 :)

I installed it on a new partition, and so far, so good. I actually plugged in a very old SoundBlaster Live 5.1. I tried to install the drivers, and nothing. But then, when I fired up Windows Update, voilá - it's a generic driver (CreativePCI), but I have sound, at least until a get a new, better sound card.

I like it so far. I'm considering doing the Vista-upgrade option, so I don't have to reinstall everything (backing up and restoring emails is a major pain in the ass). Anybody done that?

By the way, I installed Internet Download Manager trial and it downloaded the ISO at an average 250k/s from Microsoft :)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Reaction score
You can use Windows Easy Trabsfer Wizard to get your data files and settings, but you would need to reinstall all your programs.
There is no mail client in W7, they want you to use Windows Live. There are some who have managed to get Windows Mail working in W7, you can Google for a solution.
Alternativly you can use one of the free 3rd party clients like Incredimail.

Reaction score
You can use Windows Easy Trabsfer Wizard to get your data files and settings, but you would need to reinstall all your programs.
There is no mail client in W7, they want you to use Windows Live. There are some who have managed to get Windows Mail working in W7, you can Google for a solution.
Alternativly you can use one of the free 3rd party clients like Incredimail.
Hi JonMor, thanks for the advice.
I actually use Outlook for emailing and work, so I guess I can just install it under Windows7 and backup my mail files. It's all the rest that's gonna be a pain in the ass.

I've learned in the past that I only have to backup most folders under c:\users\Username to get it working though, it's laborious but doable. Reinstalling software is what gives me the chills...

Another question: I've installed in on a 50GB partition. My old Vista partition is on a 100GB. How much do you kids think is enough? If I can keep this one, I might just as well start copying and reinstalling right now :)

Thanks!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Depends on your needs. Just a basic installation to play around with or to browse the web with...that 50 GB is more than enough. As for me, I do a lot of video editing and stuff so for me 200 GB is minimum, regardless of OS, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Reaction score
Depends on your needs. Just a basic installation to play around with or to browse the web with...that 50 GB is more than enough. As for me, I do a lot of video editing and stuff so for me 200 GB is minimum, regardless of OS, it's just a matter of personal preference.
Core, actually, same thing here. But I have 900 GB spread through 3 HDDs - I was referring to a partition only for Windows, I keep data files elsewhere :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Same here, but I typically install a lot of software and prefer to keep those on the system drive. All personal data and somesuch goes on the 1TB USB drive.

Ask a Question