Pricing for release candidate users

Reaction score
Hi,
This week I built a new system, and bought Vista OEM for $99 with it. I haven't opened the package for Vista yet, as I've downloaded/installed the Windows 7 RC.

Here's my question:
Does anyone know what MS has in store for pricing Win7 for those of us that are using the Release Candidate?
Should I return the Vista OEM that I purchased or will having it save me $$ when Win7 goes to the street?

Thx in advance...

Reaction score
The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium is priced at $199, with an upgrade from Vista or XP costing $119. The full version of Windows 7 Professional is $299, with upgrades going for $199. Windows 7 Ultimate is priced at $319, with the upgrade version at $219.

Home/Pro upgrades are currently 50% off at Amazon, Newegg and other choice etailers. There will be no special deals for those running the RC. I would return Vista OEM.

Reaction score
The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium is priced at $199, with an upgrade from Vista or XP costing $119. The full version of Windows 7 Professional is $299, with upgrades going for $199. Windows 7 Ultimate is priced at $319, with the upgrade version at $219.

Home/Pro upgrades are currently 50% off at Amazon, Newegg and other choice etailers. There will be no special deals for those running the RC. I would return Vista OEM.
actually I reved a Email about the upgrade these are special offers givin to people who are on the RC as well

You've been using Windows® 7 for a while now, and we hope you've been enjoying a simpler PC experience. Because you've been a loyal Windows customer, we're offering you the Windows 7 upgrade at a great introductory price* - only $49.99 for Home Premium or $99.99 for Professional. It's our way of saying thanks for trying it out. To take advantage of this deal, pre-order your copy while supplies last.

I want ultimate I feel all the col stuff involved with the RC I want the best.. I mean my next computer needs to last for minimum of 3 years while I get my first BS in GSP then I take the CET program I willl need to build a testing/workstation with different software so I might as well get ultimate for my programming and then pro for my testing....

Reaction score
Its funny you would say this is for RC testers when anyone can save now. This is not for RC testers its for everyone who wants to purchase early.

Reaction score
Its funny you would say this is for RC testers when anyone can save now. This is not for RC testers its for everyone who wants to purchase early.
I gessed it as I went to the web site I have a madness to my order W7>E-mail>links to cool interesting nerd stuffs........

But I am happy that I will be able to get it by the time my build is ready......

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah, how dumb does Microsoft think we are, anyway? I mean, if they wanted it to be special, they could offer all the RC testers a promo code that gives them 50% off. Or course, then it would leak and everyone would have it... hehehe... :evilgrin:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I see that we have a locked "Buy Windows 7" thread and yet Canada's pricing is not listed. The pre-order is available here as I just pre-ordered from Amazon.ca Can a listing for other Canadaian members be added to the list?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I see that we have a locked "Buy Windows 7" thread and yet Canada's pricing is not listed. The pre-order is available here as I just pre-ordered from Amazon.ca Can a listing for other Canadaian members be added to the list?
Sure, I'm going to be adding to that today - along with a few other places :) I've only locked the thread so that people don't need to scroll through the whole thread to find updates.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I think that I am going to stick with the RC 'till it expires, as I am 1. Finding it very reliable. 2. A cheapo ;) After it expires, I'll probably get Ultimate because after using ultimate for all this time, it will just be annoying to go down to a lower life form. :lol:

Reaction score
Hi,
This week I built a new system, and bought Vista OEM for $99 with it. I haven't opened the package for Vista yet, as I've downloaded/installed the Windows 7 RC.

Here's my question:
Does anyone know what MS has in store for pricing Win7 for those of us that are using the Release Candidate?
Should I return the Vista OEM that I purchased or will having it save me $$ when Win7 goes to the street?

Thx in advance...
Do you have an old XP oem or any other Vista OEM disc? ( legit with the SKUs)?

If so then you can buy the Upgrade for $49 and do a full install. and return the Disk
If not then you can keep the disk but the upgrade with the disk still will cost you 150 so if you want return the $99 and wait till it is released and maybe you can get an OEM for 100 to 150, same cost.

Reaction score
I think that I am going to stick with the RC 'till it expires, as I am 1. Finding it very reliable. 2. A cheapo ;) After it expires, I'll probably get Ultimate because after using ultimate for all this time, it will just be annoying to go down to a lower life form. :lol:
Hmm I am thinking of doing the same ..... IF MS release Windows 7 Home Premium E (PC) for let us say £50.00 in the UK (Pre-order from July 15th on Amazon) why would this be special?? .... ANYONE will be able to get it at this price, tester or not .... and I really cannot see it being increased in price .. MS caught a BIG cold last time with Vista ... and they STILL have that habit of being bloody annoying and patronising :rolleyes: .... loyalty NEVER pays with MS .... Don't wish to start 'that' type of discussion here, but there are also plenty of Linux distros that work equally well :D .... Ok you need to wear your ANORAK whilst using it .... but to anyone with any savvy, and in these money saving times ... :)

Reaction score
What would be the difference between a USA version currently at $49 (£30) and the UK version when they make thier mind up about price? Could I not get a buddy to send me copies from the USA to the UK .....??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could I not get a buddy to send me copies from the USA to the UK .....??
The only thing stopping you would be the license agreement. Physically, yes it would work - but you'd be breaking the terms of the license. ;)

Reaction score
7264 until 03-01-2010!!

Maybe they'll have a service pack out by then. Not that W7 needs it. And maybe it'll be cheaper, who knows?

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know Windows may give us a discount for using Windows 7 RC. I really hope they do, because I use it a lot.

Reaction score
If anything, where is the discount for all the Vista Ultimate users they ripped off =o

Reaction score
If anything, where is the discount for all the Vista Ultimate users they ripped off =o
Or the ones that continue to be ripped off because their computer came with a "recovery" partition and ZERO disks.

Can never, ever, ever do a clean install with an upgrade version.

Thanks Microsoft, you're a gem.

Reaction score
how can you have a partition if you have no disk?
The manufacturer, in my case HP, creates a "recovery" partition and copies a disk image on it. Then they load up some start-up software to perform a recovery if you need to. It'll be an option on boot up for a few seconds.

This disk image is typically your OS, loaded down with "free" offers, like Norton AV, Snapfish(?) and other crapware.

It is different than getting disks from Microsoft. With a disk image, it is basically the same as installed, it just needs to be copied over top of your old setup or onto a newly formatted partition. With disks, there is some unpacking of archive files and setting up of directories, etc. that need to go on.

I hope I made sense of this. If I didn't, someone will be along to correct things.

In any case, because of HP, an upgrade package for Windows 7 isn't a viable option for me, who likes to always do clean installs.

Now, if Windows 7 accepted the typing in of a valid Product Code, or over-the-phone activation, that would change things a bit.

Ask a Question