SOLVED Recycle bin not holding items

Reaction score
False alarm, did the Windows live update, then without a request I rebooted my system and a lovely looking desktop background image popped up with ALL my items intact :)
Trainable man I can surely post you these specs but please explain how I retrieve them for you. I picked out my motherboard and all hardware with the man at the computer shop then went back in a few days when he had installed Windows 7 for me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I was extremely worried a few minutes ago :)
I could tell :)

OK so this is a custom build. I guess my question would be, how long is the return policy, 30 days, when does it run out? I'm just not sure they did such a quality job building your computer - for one thing why did they give you 32-bit software instead of 64 (64-bit is the future so unless there is a very good reason then you don't go 32)? And all the performance problems you are having makes me wonder if they ran burn-in tests on the CPU, RAM, etc.

You can get lots of information about your computer using a freeware product call SIW.

Reaction score
I have a 1 year warranty which expires in January, so I have had the system longer than I thought, but regardless I am still under warranty. Taking the system back to the store reporting a problem will cause me a fee if they do not find one.
I opted for 32 bit myself as it is preferred for use with my DAW softwares (Propellerheads Reason etc).
I have a HTML document but I dont think I can link it to you, there is a lot of information there so if you can be specific as to what you would like to see I will gladly post it :)

Reaction score
Go to the top of this page, click on Quick Links, then "Edit System Specs". Put the specific information in each section to build a profile of your computer specs. When you're finished, click "Save Changes" and this info will now be displayed under your member name.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have a 1 year warranty which expires in January, so I have had the system longer than I thought, but regardless I am still under warranty. Taking the system back to the store reporting a problem will cause me a fee if they do not find one.
OK so you had it for 8 months and this is a relatively recent problem, so this is more likely a software issue than hardware; that's good. You might consider a fresh reinstall of the OS though it requires a bit of work it could put you back to new build fresh.

I opted for 32 bit myself as it is preferred for use with my DAW softwares (Propellerheads Reason etc).
There is some software that does seem to take issue with 64, so at least it was your reasons, not theirs; that's good too.

I have a HTML document but I dont think I can link it to you, there is a lot of information there so if you can be specific as to what you would like to see I will gladly post it :)
What Etalmar mentioned could help a lot.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
If you aren't taking the p*ss, is that hard to do?
I don't think so ;) He posted some tuts on how to remove some other stuff from the context menu.

I think it's just a matter of a few registry keys.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
If you aren't taking the p*ss, is that hard to do?
QUE? MOI?? :D

I don't think so ;) He posted some tuts on how to remove some other stuff from the context menu.

I think it's just a matter of a few registry keys.
It's a mod to the Shell32.dll.mui system file that's located in C:\Windows\System32\en-US and there is also one in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\en-US on 64 bit systems. (N.B. They are not the same so both need to be modified separately just to be on the safe side).
Copy the Shell32.dll.mui file to somewhere safe (desktop?) then open the file using ResHack, Restorator or a.n.other resource modifying utility, expand the Menu key, expand the 210 key, then click on the language number next to an "ickle purdy flower!!" or asterisk.
This is the default code you will see:-
Code:
210 MENUEX
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
{
    MENUITEM "Cu&t", 24, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Copy", 25, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Paste", 26, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "", 65535, MFT_SEPARATOR, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Create &Shortcut", 16, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Delete", 17, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Rena&me", 18, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
}
}
And I replace it with this modified code:-
Code:
210 MENUEX
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
{
    MENUITEM "Cu&t", 24, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Copy", 25, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Paste", 26, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Rena&me", 18, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Create &Shortcut", 16, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Delete", 17, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
}
}
Press the "Compile Script" button after changing the codes over (if using ResHack) then hit the save button. Go to your en-US folder(s) and re-name the original Shell32.dll.mui file(s) (Shell32old.dll.mui?), you may need to take ownership of them before you can do this. Copy your modified Shell32.dll.mui file(s) to the correct folder(s). Re-boot. That's it!

Or you could just download the files I've already modified!

But where's the fun in that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another possible (and much simpler) solution would be for you to learn how to use the F2 key whenever you want to rename a file or folder.

Pressing F2 is the equivalent of right-clicking and selecting "Rename", so if you do not want to fool around with complicated (and risky) registry changes, especially if you aren't sure what you are doing, you can just press the F2 key to rename any file.

To delete any file or folder, you can press the "Delete" key located in the group of 6 keys that are to the left of your numeric keypad (or numpad).

Learning how to change some of your computing habits will spare you any future agony insofar as inadvertently renaming or deleting a file or folder.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I like the slow double-click method for renaming; frustrated me that they removed it from the left side of W7 Windows Explorer as this was the method I had used over 99% of the time in XP.

Reaction score
Yes TM, I used to do that as well. The slow double-click rename method can still be set up if you use Xplorer2 lite file management replacement for Windows. There is an option to "allow slow double-click to rename items" under the Windows tab.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Another possible (and much simpler) solution would be for you to learn how to use the F2 key whenever you want to rename a file or folder.
That doesn't work for me.
Probably because I re-mapped it to open Photoshop!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes TM, I used to do that as well. The slow double-click rename method can still be set up if you use Xplorer2 lite file management replacement for Windows. There is an option to "allow slow double-click to rename items" under the Windows tab.
I don't think I should have to resort to third-party software to get features the Microsoft morons decided I no longer needed :evil:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hey TM, I've been trying the double press rename technique. If I put the mouse pointer on the file or folder name, click, small pause, second click, I can rename them! Double click just (as expected) opens them.

Reaction score
I don't think I should have to resort to third-party software to get features the Microsoft morons decided I no longer needed :evil:
From your icon selection, I can tell that this is a very sore subject for you. I agree that Microsoft shouldn't have taken this feature away, but I suggested xplorer2 lite only as an option to give you back the slow double-click function that you miss in Windows 7, not to poke at the already agitated bear.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hey TM, I've been trying the double press rename technique. If I put the mouse pointer on the file or folder name, click, small pause, second click, I can rename them! Double click just (as expected) opens them.
On the right side it still works but you used to be able to do it on the directory tree (left side) as well and that now initiates a search instead. If yours works on the left then I wonder if maybe you have disabled search?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
not to poke at the already agitated bear.
I understood you were offering an alternative and I appreciate that, though I won't use it.

In general I'm not agitated but it does frustrate me how many little features Microsoft removes without one bit of concern, rather than making them options the die-hard users can re-enable. I'm afraid they are simply too big to have to care much about the feelings of the individual users. I love the slap in the face they took with Vista but they are still lacking in concern for upgrading users.

Ask a Question