Recycle Bin corrupted

Reaction score
Hi, I just started getting the message
The recycle bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the recycle Bin for this drive?
it pops up every time I log on. If I click yes to the message another thing pops up and says "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows explorer close file and try again

Nothing is open though. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

Reaction score
Try booting into Safe Mode and empty the Recycle Bin from there. This may prevent the files from loading or opening and allow for removal.

I think I have had this issue in the past and I always renamed the Recycle Bin folder and then deleted the folder after I renamed it (For the record, I do use a third part File Manager and Explorer may or may not allow renaming Recycle Bin). Windows always creates a new Recycle Bin folder in the process. This would also require you to enable visibility of hidden system files. To enable visibility of hidden system files look under explorer properties for view options.

Ask a Question