"Recent Places" always empty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have Windows 7 64-bit installed. I am frustrated that when using windows explorer, "recent places" is always empty--meaning that I have to always re-navigate through the file structure in order to find the folder I want. In spite of other problems I had when using Vista, this was one thing that always worked and that I found extremely helpful and efficient. Why does it not work in Windows 7, even thought the tool is included in the options list? It's _always_ empty. I have tried looking through various fora for a fix for this, but without success. Help! There MUST be a way to make this work! Thanks much.
~ M

Reaction score
Did you mean recent items??

right click taskbar - properties - under start menu - 2nd paragraph down.'recent items' make sure it is checked.

Reaction score
No, I'm talking about "Recent Places" that appears on the left-hand side of the Windows Explorer window under "Favorites," following the menu sub-items "Desktop" and "Download." "Recent Places" refuses to populate with places recently visited. This was a very helpful addition in Vista, and while it looks like the option is there in Windows 7, "Recent Places" stubbornly remains empty...

Aaaarrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Reaction score
Remove Recent Places and restore to default
Click Start, click Computer.
In the left pane, right click on Recent Places and click Remove.
Right click on Favorites, click Restore favorite links.

Close Windows Explorer and check.

Reaction score
should that fail try creating another user account and then check it again with both user accounts.

then you could try resetting jump lists, see attachment.

Attachments

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Mylene.
I had this problem on a default installation. Uncustomised, unaltered in any way.
None of the browsed helps did the trick. In the end, this was my remedy - it worked for me !
If you are familiar with editing, try this. PLEASE make a backup of your registry first. We can all make typing mistakes.
First:
1. Type regedit in RUN or startmenu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder
3. First, you will need to change value of "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side section. Windows will, by default, not allow you to change its value unless you alter those permissions. To alter these, first, right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select "Permissions".
In the new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow" box given for "Full Control" permission. Click the OK button.
Right! now:
We have to remove and replace the favorites folder in Windows Explorer.
Double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and change its value to a9400100. OK it.
I am afraid you will now have to log off and on.- You will find the favorites folder has gone from Windows Explorer.

Nopw go back to the same reg key and reinstate the Favorites, by changing the pre mentioned DWord back to a0900100. OK it

Log off and on again and, hopefully, you will have the same success as I.

Reaction score
then you could try resetting jump lists, see attachment.
I used your batch program Reset_Recent_Jump_List_Items.bat to reset the folders in the Recent Places folder.

Recent Places how has 3 folders I visited as well as CustomDestinations (AutomaticDestinations is hidden). When I right-click on Windows Explorer (pinned to taskbar) I see 2. When I view the folder from a Command window, I found 7 links (shortcuts). When I click on the Start button, I see nothing - but finally I'm getting somewhere. Thank you for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question