Read/Write Vista Partition

Reaction score
I have recently installed 7 and made my Vista partition visible. However, I am unable to write to the partition. Ex) I am able to view a text file on the Vista partition while running 7, but I am not able to modify the text file. Etc with other files. Does anyone have a solution to this? Thanks, Brian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had this problem myself with Linux, where I could only gain read-only acess to Windows Vista. It turned out to be because the NTFS partition is mounted as read only through Linux/OSX and I needed to use something called NTFS-3G. I don't know why Windows 7 would do the same though.

Are you able to write to any directory at all on the Vista partition? It could be that some folders permission settings are the problem.

Reaction score
That's it. Silly me, I didn't think to check that. Under 7 I allowed full rights on the Vista partition (Vista F:). For some reason this was applied to all sub folders minus my /Users folder. /Users (by default I guess) was set to read only.

Problem solved.

Thanks

-b

Last edited:

Ask a Question