SOLVED Re-set HDD S.M.A.R.T?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Is there any way to do this?

According to my SMART readings my new (with PC) Samsung HDD is dead.
Whereas my 12yr old 20Gb Maxtor (which was the worst HDD on my XP set up) is, in comparison, in fine fettle.

I think I know why the Samsung is getting such a bad reading. It's due to a crappy SATA cable with an intermittent connection when PC first bought (since replaced).

As it is I can no longer rely on the s.m.a.r.t readings for a pointer towards disk errors.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The whole purpose of S.M.A.R.T. would be defeated if it was generally available as people could reset the use time to 0 and sell them as new etc.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I understand that TM, but there's nowt wrong with my HDD.
Smart is telling me it shouldn't even boot though.(MAJOR FAILURE) which is strange. I'm using it now.
Which, on your analogy (resetting), doesn't count a jot as smart (in my case) cannot be trusted to give a true evaluation.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Would a Firmware Update fix that? I honestly have no idea if that would work.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Elmer - have you tried using the trial version of HD Tune Pro and see what results you get there?

I have noticed that I get different results with different hard drive analysis software.

You might also try HDD Sentinel Pro and see what it states. It gives A LOT of results in the trial mode.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
HD Tune Pro shed a lot more light on the issue for me

Ultra DMA CRC Error count "There were communication errors. This may be caused by a damaged cable".

So I can sleep a bit easier at night now.

The moral? The 2nd time you have to adjust / re-seat your sata cable, get your a**e down to the local PC store and buy a new one. Don't wait for the 20th time!!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
HD Tune Pro shed a lot more light on the issue for me

Ultra DMA CRC Error count "There were communication errors. This may be caused by a damaged cable".

So I can sleep a bit easier at night now.

The moral? The 2nd time you have to adjust / re-seat your sata cable, get your a**e down to the local PC store and buy a new one. Don't wait for the 20th time!!
Oooh man :( Can't we just stay at home and order a cable by Internet?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Oooh man :( Can't we just stay at home and order a cable by Internet?
Well, you could. But while I've still the breath in me to walk 200 yards to my local purveyor of PC bits, I'll do it. Sod the rain.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, you could. But while I've still the breath in me to walk 200 yards to my local purveyor of PC bits, I'll do it. Sod the rain.
I'm lazy :) And it rains in Paris as well... Ever walked to school in a t-shirt when it's 5 degrees, and pouring rain? Nice xD

Ask a Question