SOLVED Questions about updating XP to W7

Reaction score
Hello!

I have some questions for which I couldn't find an straight answer. So first of all what does the update require to work? I mean does it need more than the XP cd-key/install key , since I remember there are some genuine codes or something like that , which came with the os when I bought it. Just wondering this because I am not sure if I can find it anymore.

And the second one was that when you do the clean install with the xp do I need to update back to sp3 again or is the sp1 enough?

The third one is that is it possible to change 32bit to 64bit? Since I have 32bit win XP so can I update to 64bit Windows 7 without any major problems ?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I would save all files that u want too keep you cannot update xp to win 7 and the third being that u want to install 64 bit u need to have a clean install

Reaction score
You can't do a straight upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You insert the Win 7 dvd-rom and click Install Now then click on Custom. Select where you want Windows 7 and let it install. Follow the other posters comments on backing up important files to a external hd first. I'd also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what software is/isn't compatible that you use. Also you need to download Windows 7 drivers for yourVideo card, Sound Card, Motherboard, LAN etc. Save these on either the external hard drive or a flash drive. Then proceed with your install. Afterward let Windows Update run numerous times until no updates are found. Then run the downloaded drivers and reboot after each one. Now restore whatever files you saved in XP and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
aam.. Well I'll try to clarify some things. First of all I have not bought it yet and I haven't got any win7 dvd-roms and looks like I never will have because I am planning to buy this update from the microsoft store online and planning to just download the update file .

"You can't do a straight upgrade from XP to Windows 7" - when I read the description and the "before buying " notes which clearly says that you can update windows XP to windows 7 but you need to have a clean install , in other words format my hard drive and then install xp again and then put in the w7 update thingy. And my whole pc is compatible with w7 I checked that out and drivers etcetc.

The plan with the update file is to store it on my second partition of my hard drive , since I only have windows on C: and all other stuff on D: so I'll store the w7 update file on D: and format C: and then re-install win xp and run the update file from D: and that should be it... but if I'm wrong please tell me so.

brkkab123 your response made me a bit confused. Are you saying UPDATING xp to w7 isint possible at all since those "before buying"-notes says different? And are you giving me instructions for installing a full w7, sounds silly to install two operating systems into the same partition of the hard drive :D.

Excuse me if I did not understand something the way you intended since I study english only as my third language.

Reaction score
aam.."You can't do a straight upgrade from XP to Windows 7" - when I read the description and the "before buying " notes which clearly says that you can update windows XP to windows 7 but you need to have a clean install , in other words format my hard drive and then install xp again and then put in the w7 update thingy. And my whole pc is compatible with w7 I checked that out and drivers etcetc.
what this means is xp can not be on your Hard Drive you will need to format the drive first.... thats why I said you will need to save any files before hand

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you're doing an upgrade install, it cannot (or is not supposed to) be setup as a dual boot. That would be allowing you to have both OS's, which would be defeating the purpose of the upgrade.

If you need to dual boot, then you'll need to purchase a full retail copy of Windows 7.

I almost forgot my manners, welcome to the forum, Mika! I hope that you enjoy your stay here.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
aam.. Well I'll try to clarify some things. First of all I have not bought it yet and I haven't got any win7 dvd-roms and looks like I never will have because I am planning to buy this update from the microsoft store online and planning to just download the update file .
To answer this question, more than likely you'll be offered to download the DVD ISO image file, then you must burn it to a good quality blank DVD disc. I recommend using ImgBurn as it is accurate and has a burn verify feature too. www.imgburn.com

To the best of my knowledge, there is not an "update" file I have ever heard of, but then again some here say I'm culturally disadvantaged too! :)
Although some "student" downloads were offered back in Nov of 2009 which was a different type of install, but NEARLY ALL of those download and/or installs were corrupt and MS finally had to send the people who purchased these the install DVDs.

"You can't do a straight upgrade from XP to Windows 7" - when I read the description and the "before buying " notes which clearly says that you can update windows XP to windows 7 but you need to have a clean install , in other words format my hard drive and then install xp again and then put in the w7 update thingy. And my whole pc is compatible with w7 I checked that out and drivers etcetc.
Yes you can upgrade from Windows XP, but it not as simple as popping in the DVD install disc and going from there. I would highly recommend that you save ALL files, folders, photos, audio files, video files, etc., prior to doing an install of Windows 7. Put them either on another hard drive (external or internal) or burn to CD-RW or DVD-RW rewriteable discs.

You don't even need XP on the hard drive in order to do a full clean or custom install as long as you own the XP discs and product key. You may install to a formatted blank hard drive if you wish.

Be sure you download all the correct, latest drivers for your hardware prior to the Windows 7 install and store them on a thumb flash drive, CD-RW or hard drive.

The plan with the update file is to store it on my second partition of my hard drive , since I only have windows on C: and all other stuff on D: so I'll store the w7 update file on D: and format C: and then re-install win xp and run the update file from D: and that should be it... but if I'm wrong please tell me so.
Here is what I recommend you do with this install, and believe me its the simplest way to do it and one which will give the best results too.

1. Do as I stated above and save all important files, folders, etc.
2. MS will send you a Genuine Product Key, save it in a safe place.
3. Burn the ISO image to a DVD and put in the DVD drive, set the DVD drive as the "First Boot Device" the motherboard's BIOS and save that setting. Also if your HD is a SATA drive then set the hard drive BIOS settings to AHCI also.
4. When you reboot, you may see a prompt stating: "Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD" Do that within 4 seconds and the install will begin. When you get to the screen showing the drive and partitions, delete ALL existing partitions and then create new ones to your liking. Then let the install begin.
5. When the install is done and you're finally at the Windows 7 desktop, begin to install the Windows 7 drivers for your hardware. Install the chipset drivers first, the the video card drivers, LAN, etc.

brkkab123 your response made me a bit confused. Are you saying UPDATING xp to w7 isint possible at all since those "before buying"-notes says different? And are you giving me instructions for installing a full w7, sounds silly to install two operating systems into the same partition of the hard drive :D.
If you'll follow my instructions you won't have any issues. If you need more guidance let us know and we can steer you in the right direction. You may also send me a PM too if you desire.

Excuse me if I did not understand something the way you intended since I study english only as my third language.
Your English is excellent... better than a lot of folks who I have worked with in the past and they live in the USA.

Let us know how it goes and keep us posted!
~Nibs

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You may want to turn on all of your equipment and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to look for potential hardware and software issues.

And as Cat said if you want dual-boot that means a full license. If you choose to do the upgrade from XP (this is what I actually did on mine) then you don't actually format the harddrive, it simply renames the old system files to windows.old and does a fresh install of the OS to that drive (and it will see you qualify for the upgrade just from your old OS on the drive).

Prior to starting the install you might want to download and install Windows Easy Transfer to back up your userids/account settings and maybe your data. Your data shouldn't really be touched if you don't reformat but the instructions didn't make that very clear and I didn't want to take any chances loosing it so I backed mine up.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far. I came up with another little question about graphic drivers and so on. Should I delete the drivers before I have update to W7? Will it cause some problems if I update to w7 , then uninstall the old xp drivers and then download the w7 drivers?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far. I came up with another little question about graphic drivers and so on. Should I delete the drivers before I have update to W7? Will it cause some problems if I update to w7 , then uninstall the old xp drivers and then download the w7 drivers?
You have to do a clean install! You can't upgrade over the top of XP! Reformat your hard drive and install from there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs, If he doesn't format it then he won't get that stupid 100mb piece. It's not like it carries over the registry or anything like when you install over Vista. The OS is wiped, it just leaves windows.old which can be deleted.

Mika, It will totally disregard the XP drivers, you won't need to uninstall them afterwords because they won't be installed. As for the W7 drivers, it will attempt to load them automatically but it's always a good idea to get them BEFORE you install in case it can't find them for your components. Like what if it is the LAN driver it can't find; well then it can't cannot to the internet to find the drive.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Some people have issues with the 100MB partition Windows 7 creates when doing the install. If they just format the new partitions and then go from there it doesn't install.

To me, again as I have stated before, it's really much ado about nothing, very insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

Reaction score
When I did my dual boot installation, it was on the unallocated (never written to) partition on my HDD, I still got the 100mb piece put in, guess 'cos my unallocated partition was like a new formated drive.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well it also leaves your data which is nice and it recognizes your eligibility for upgrade.

What advantage is there to formatting first?

Reaction score
I would format if I was doing a full install of just 7 with nothing else and wanted to make sure there was nothing left around to complicate things.
In my case I did not have that problem as I had a brand new 500gig that I broke into two partitions. I cloned my XP onto it and that left the other half free for the win 7 install.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What advantage is there to formatting first?
Well your favorite 100MB partition won't be installed then... I thought you knew that oh wise and venerable Grand Poobah of the Pennsylvania Water Buffalo Lodge!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A drive that already has been formatted with XP on it won't get that partition. I suppose my question would be better stated what advantage is there to repartioning a drive already formatted with XP?

I mean I understand from Vista it is because it will carry over old registry pieces and maybe some old drivers etc but with XP it simply renames all the OS files so there is no real fear of remnant pieces getting into the W7 OS. So I was just wondering if there was any operational reason it would be better or if it is just a personal thing of liking the nice fresh start?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The install process is much faster if is doesn't have to move files and folders around, plus no leftovers are in the way either.

Yes, you're correct in the fact that I prefer it that way, always have regardless of the OS I'm installing. One of my obsessive-compulsive, anal retentive quirks.

Reaction score
Yea, thanks for the tips you gave me . I got this installed and now I have Windows 7 up and running , its 32bit tho but it'll do just fine! :) You can close /delete this thread or whatever you do to these "closed cases" :D. thanks again!

Ask a Question