Program Not Responding

Reaction score
Hello,

I think this is similar to other people's posts but here goes, i upgraded my computer about two months ago and have had nothing but problems with it.

Prior to upgrade it was running XP but now on Windows 7.
2.9GHZ Athlon II
3 GB RAM
Nividia Card 9800 GT
500 GB & 250 GB drives
Belkin N Wireless Adaptor

At random points when using computer it suddenly freezes next to the program title (top left) comes up "program not responding"

I have updated all my drives, and still it continues to freeze, it can be doing simple tasks like coping two - three photo's from camera to hard drive for example, then other times i could have three to four programs open and nothing happens. but there is a slight patten its on boot up, i have tried it in safe mode with networking and it works okay.

Does Anybody have any other ideas PLEASE.

( otherwise computer going out window....but i have heard they don't bounce....)

For information i have uploaded system information file (i think)

Thank you

Adam

Reaction score
okay whops haven't uploaded file, its not letting me zip it now...URGH

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you do an "Upgrade" install with Windows 7? If so, that may be causing the problems. A clean or "custom" install is always best.

TorrentG may be able to help you out here too. If you can upload the "dump file" for him to look at. He's a firm believer in that some AV software causes these issues.

Reaction score
hello,

i had XP on drive prior to Win 7, and afraid to say a shop did upgrade for me, they claim that there "bench" tests show PC is working fine. i have full OS Win 7 disc so guessing it was a clean install.....

how do i upload dump file? i'm running AVG 9.0 on system

thank you

Reaction score
Yes, I would uninstall AVG. That one in particular causes issues like this, more so than all others. It's simply is a troubleshooting step needed to be taken here, regardless of outcome.

Please use the tool found here to remove it.

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

MSE should be installed, because it does not cause performance or bsod issues on any hardware.

Then you can see this sticky thread on how to post the crash dump and I can help you with that, if still needed.

https://www.w7forums.com/ask-assistance-bsod-alleviation-t5940.html

Good luck and keep us updated, please.

Reaction score
okay i can't find \windows\minidump folder on my drive? can you recommend a good virus scanner (pref a free one)

thank you

adam

Reaction score
Glad to hear that things seem to be going well after AVG removal.

I recommend MSE which is Microsoft Security Essentials. This is a 24x7 type protection and starts with Windows.

I also recommend installing Malwarebytes. This does not start with Windows. It is used to do a manual scan every so often after updating the definitions within the program. It's just good practice to let this remove whatever it may find to be malware.

Reaction score
it seems that i spoke to soon, turned PC on and fine for a short period then went to open my microsoft outlook and bang freezes (not typical of opening this program)............ideas appreciated

Reaction score
Type msinfo32 in the start menu then hit enter. File | save on the screen that opens.

Rar or zip this saved file and attach to a post using the paperclip above where you type while posting.

I can have a detailed look at the system and offer suggestions this way.

Reaction score
hello

hopefully i have uploaded the correct file, any help would be welcomed, as getting really **** off with it now!

Attachments

Reaction score
Here are some suggestions:

Start menu, all programs, startup folder. Delete Google Update and SUPERAntiSpyware.

------

Your Realtek HD Audio driver is from July 14, 2009. Definitely update that to latest from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

---------

Your NVIDIA chipset/LAN/SATA Raid drivers are all older from June 2009. Install from the following link to bring them up to date:

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_chipset_nvidia_mcp68_win7-64.exe

Reaction score
hello,

thank you for the links, i have updated all drivers as recommended....i deleted spyware but couldn't find google update in start up menu, so just deleted google chrome, (as don't use it).....i will keep you posted...

thank you :)

Reaction score
just to keep you posted its still freezing but not for so long now, only a few seconds or a minute at that......whatever you have suggested is working....any other suggestions welcome?

Ask a Question