SOLVED Prob. with virtual XP

Reaction score
HI there, I'm very new, so be gentle :) I have been using virtual XP with my windows 7 ultimate since July with no problem ( I have a program I use that is not compatible with anything past XP) Today when I attempted my XP open, it stays at the screen where I open xp and shows it's running. When I pass my mouse arrow to the taskbar window, it displays the screen I want ...the XP desktop. I cannot get it open. I have done a system restore, and of course restarted many times. If this isn't the right forum, if someone could guide me to the right place, I'd be so thankful.

Cyndie

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
cynful4u, welcome to the forum! I use XP Mode too, and once in a while it does gives problems. If you can't get it to restart, and don't have a recent backup (of the drive it's on), you may need to reinstall it. That's what I had to do. But I can't, for the life of me, understand why you can reach the desktop, and not get it open.

I wished I could help further, but a reinstall is the only way I see out, unless you do have that backup.

I sure wished I had that 8GB RAM in my desktop, I'd give my VM's some RAM to play with. Mine only has 1280MB each.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Thank you, I tried to do that, but it states it's already installed....I hate this problem! See, I have more machine than I know what to do with!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You have a machine that many would love to have, including me. My next notebook will be a Toshiba quad core, with 8GB RAM, they can be had for $700 to $800.

Don't give up quite yet, mabye more answers will show up. As I recall, when I downloaded XP Mode, there was a support group for it, it may be worth taking a look at. I know you want to avoid a reinstall, and if you have a lot of important files on it (I don't), there may be options for you.

Cat

Reaction score
I just got a Toshiba notebook, it's big! 18.5 inch widescreen...it's almost the machine this one is! I'll look for a support group, God knows I need one :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Close Virtual PC, XP mode.

Then back in W7 (native, nothing virtual) ...
Control Panel \ Programs and Features
Find Windows XP mode in the list and right-click on it and select uninstall (or highlight the entry and hit the uninstall button at the top middle of the page)

Reaction score
Thank you TrainableMan. I lost everything that I hadn't backed up,. but oh well, lesson learned. Thank you all for your help :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sorry about that.

I would reboot and run ccleaner to clean space AND, most importantly, the registry (first and second options) before you try to reinstall.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat,

How do I uninstall Virtual XP? I can't get rid of it!
Sorry, I fell asleep in front of the computer (happens often). TrainableMan's directions were right, I guess he has XP Mode too. Not many of us do.

I initially upgraded to Windows 7 Pro through the Anytime Upgrade option in the Start Menu, for a lot less than a retail (or regular upgrade version) would cost. A member needed help with an AV in XP Mode, and the only way that I could prove myself right was to install it myself to see. And I was right, you need a separate AV for XP Mode, just as you would any VM.

It is good for those who has programs or hardware that won't work with either 64 bit, or Windows 7 itself. Many printing problems have been solved on this very forum by using VM's. XP Mode is the best if you have 7 Pro, because you get a virtual XP by having it, all you have to do is download & install, and enable hardware assisted virtualization (HAV) in the BIOS. For those who doesn't have that option (HAV), there is an update that allows you to run XP Mode.

For those who has their own install discs (and legit COA's), VirtualBox is a better solution, far less setup time, no validation (except when you install the OS), and an overall easier experience. I run several versions of Windows & Linux, and VirtualBox gives better support.

I hope that your next venture with XP Mode turns out better than the last. If you have any questions, always feel free to return, there is plenty of help here.

Best of Luck,
Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
To update this thread, if you have Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, and have a full (legit) copy of Windows XP, Windows Virtual PC offers an easier configuration over VirtualBox. You don't need to create specially shared folders, don't have to install extension packs (for Intel hardware), and is more reliable. If you don't have a retail disc & COA, that's fine, XP Mode is freely available from the site.

Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 is required, your install must pass validation prior to the download.

Your external hardware is also easily attached, you just need to install it, just as in Windows 7, after installing guest additions. So when installing a printer or other hardware, remember to select XP SP2-3 (32 bit) as the software to download. Many modern printers will work with XP SP2 & up, but the software for the installer is different.

And if you have the choice, always enable hardware assisted virtualization (HAV) through the BIOS options. Instructions for various computers can be found on the Windows Virtual PC site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

To configure the BIOS for HAV:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

If you don't have HAV as an option, there is an update on the Home page of Windows Virtual PC to enable you to run it. It's the third update for those who needs it (Windows 6.1 KB977206 x64.msu). This is a standalone installer, there is also one for 32 bit OS's/systems. NOTE: This update is ONLY for Windows Virtual PC, it'll do VirtualBox & VM Ware Player/Workstation no good.

If you need to have a Linux VM, they don't work well with this setup. I've tried and tried, sought advice, it'll boot, then crash. If you need a Linux VM, then VirtualBox or VM Player is suggested. Same with Win 2K, it'll install, but guest additions aren't supported for it.

The latest versions for VirtualBox & VM Ware Player can be obtained at:

http://www.filehippo.com/

Through this route, no registration is necessary for VM Ware Player.

HAV should still be enabled in the BIOS, if the option is available to you.

Hope that this post is of assistance.

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question