Printer no longer recognized

Reaction score
Have a Canon Pixma MP530 Multifunction Printer (USB connection) which ran fine with W7 for many months. Yesterday W7 no longer recognizes the USB device. This printer also ran on Vista Pro. Great printer. W7 glitch. I have another thread running (submitted today) regarding User folders problem which might provide some insight. Thanks for your assistance.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to check your windows updates and see if something got installed that might be causing issues. Alternatively, try using System Restore to a point when the printer was working

Reaction score
Have a Canon Pixma MP530 Multifunction Printer (USB connection) which ran fine with W7 for many months. Yesterday W7 no longer recognizes the USB device. This printer also ran on Vista Pro. Great printer. W7 glitch. I have another thread running (submitted today) regarding User folders problem which might provide some insight. Thanks for your assistance.
If this printer already ran for several months on this same computer with W7, then it doesn't sound like a "W7 glitch". With all the mysterious problems listed between this and your other post, is there a reason you're resisting doing a clean reinstall?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you removed the printer and plugged in another USB device to see if it works? If so and no response, check your device manager. If that doesn't solve it, first try draceena's advice with the restore point. Should that not work, backup and breakout the install disc for a clean install. If after all of that, your printer isn't working, you have hardware issues.

Reaction score
Have you checked all the connections to the computer, to the printer and to the power.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the printer.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have not answered draceena's post on the other thread??
Än "update "install, over a previous installation, is well documented as giving problems. I think the advice on that thread to reinstall is your only option if you still have the problems mentioned there.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would turn off your printer and computer first of all.

Unplug the USB connection for the printer and then turn on your computer.

Once the computer is at the desktop, then turn on the printer and plug-in the USB printer connection. This may solve the problem.

If not, go to the Device Manager and "Uninstall" the driver and reboot then install the driver again.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7?

You may have to do a new clean install to really get it working right.

Here is the driver page for your printer: Canon Drivers

Ask a Question