Print Spooler

Reaction score
Hey I am new to this website and new to Windows 7. I have installed Windows 7 by upgrading from Vista and XP. Now that everything is installed and working properly (So I thought) I tried to reinstall my printer upon returning to College. I uninstalled the printer drivers before trying to reinstall of course. Upon reinstalling the printer driver for Windows 7 32 Bit the printer says that it is not installed correctly and when I click trouble shooting it brings me to the printer's driver website (where I got the Drivers). When looking into the issue I looked at the printerspooler under services. It was turned off. Turning it back on caused it to turn itself back off again. Thinking it could be an issue with the printer's drivers I tried a friends printer. The spooler again would not stay started even after the computer said that the printer was installed successfully. I looked in the event log and the error message is 7034 for the printer spooler turning off. My computer is a Dell E6500 with a 2.26 Core 2 Duo 2GB of Ram. The printers are an HP F4480 and a Lexmark 4530. The Lexmark is my printer where the HP is my friends as stated above. Please help me as I am very moved as to how or why this could have happened the installer ran great for both Vista and Windows 7 and I have had no problems whatsoever with the Computer. This is the only problem.

Reaction score
Hi KJP1990 - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not sure why you are getting this error. I've not had much experience with printers. :( Perhaps others will have a few suggestions for you to try.

My only question is if you can print without using this print spooler?

There should be an option in preferences to print without using the spooler. Maybe you can print this way until a fix can be found.

Reaction score
Go to Windows/System32/spool/PRINTERS. Note that 'show hidden files, folders and drives' must be enabled to see this folder.

If there is anything in that folder, delete all. The spooler service must not be running when you do this.

Now start the spooler service and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
that file named PRINTERS in spools was empty as far as I could tell. The file was not hidden or had anything in it. Do I need to install the printer drivers again and try this?

I tried installing the printer drivers again after trying a few more things it still comes up saying that the device drivers were not installed correctly in a window coming from the start bar. Any more help or ideas would be wonderful as the school semester starts soon and printing will be needed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
See if you have a process running called client32.exe. If you do, end the task then disable it in services.

Reaction score
No, no client32... I am going to try a Windows Repair. Last night I downloaded a program that scans the print spooler and it told me it could fix it for $40 i didnt buy it or let it run I just looked at the results. It said i had a bunch of corrupt files in the print spool folder. So that lead me to trying to do a Windows Repair. I'll get back to you with the results of that. Thank you for putting the time and effort into trying to help me. It is much appreciated.

Reaction score
I didnt buy it or trusting it very far. Im just going off the idea of possibly corrupt files. The "Fix Windows" idea cant do any harm as far as I know. That is Plan A for now.

Reaction score
Problem solved I contacted Microsoft about the problem they helped me. Thank you for your help as well I learned a lot about where things are located and what to do if a problem like this arises again thank you very much for your time and help :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Problem solved I contacted Microsoft about the problem they helped me. Thank you for your help as well I learned a lot about where things are located and what to do if a problem like this arises again thank you very much for your time and help :)
That's why M$ is there, to help. Like the other poster stated, maybe you could let the rest of us know here what precisely you did, so that it may be of benefit to others.

Reaction score
i have the email still i will just copy and paste the text from it into this post :)

Action Plan 1: Completely uninstall the Printers drivers from the system and reinstall the drivers.

Step 1:- Uninstall the printer:

1. Click on Start and Select Control Panel.

2. Select the option Hardware and sound.

3. Select the option View Devices and Printers.

4. Right click on your printer.

5. Select the option Remove Device.

6. Restart the computer.

Step 2:- Install the printer:

Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

1. Click Add a printer.

2. In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a local printer.

3. Select the printer port.

4. In the list of available printers, select the one you want to use, and then click next.

5. Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.

Now try printing and observe for the issue.

If Action Plan 1 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Action Plan 2

Action Plan 2:

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click on the following link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows)

Please follow the below steps to backup your registry settings.

Ø Open the Registry Editor by clicking the Start button, typing regedit into the search box, and then pressing Enter.? If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Ø Click the File menu, and then click Export.

Ø Type a filename that is easy for you to remember save it on to the desktop.

Ø Click Save.

After taking backup please follow the below steps:

1. Check with the Manufacturer and Model number of the Printer.

2. Disconnect the Printer from the computer.

3. Uninstall any Printer software from Programs and Features.

4. Go to Control Panel -> Printers and delete any existing Printers (Make sure to get the permission from the customer). If you are unable to delete the printers, you may have to reboot the computer and then try deleting them (After performing steps 5, 6, 7 and 8).

5. During the course of troubleshooting, if you need to restart the computer, ensure to turn off the User Account Control.

6. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers and then delete W32x86 folder completely. If you are unable to delete the folder completely, you may have to restart the computer and try deleting it.

Note: W32x86 is for a 32 bit computer. X64 & IA64 are for 64 bit computer.

7. Backup the registry.

8. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version 3 and delete everything except for Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

Note: Windows NT x86 is for 32 bit Computer and Windows x64 and Windows IA64 are for 64 bit computer.

9. Delete the folders under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors except "WinPrint".

10. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors and check for the entries. There should only be the following sub keys

· Local Port

· Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

· Standard TCP/IP Port

· USB Monitor

· WSD Port

11. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

There should only be the following sub keys

· Fax

· Microsoft Document XPS Writer

12. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler and check with the DependOnService on the right hand pane. If you find any Lexbces, remove it from the DependOnService (Value Data should only have RPCSS http).

13. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for any folder by the name Lexbces and delete it.

14. Restart the computer and connect the Printer. Check if Windows is automatically installing the drivers.

15. Otherwise, disconnect the printer and install the Printer Software from a CD or download it from Internet. Connect the printer only when it prompts.

16. Try to print a Test Page and check with the issue

NOTE: There are 2 ways here, the bottom way (Number 2) was the one I used. Make sure you have the drivers UNINSTALLED first before going into the registry. Hope this helps people :)

Ask a Question